Sign in to follow this  
flickerknickers

Musical Remakes

4 posts in this topic

Now that "Chicago", the movie, has struck it rich, Hollywood is filled with talk of making more musicals. Or rather, REMAKES of old classics. Talk is serious about redoing "Viva Las Vegas," "Gypsy," "Mame," "Oliver," "Singin' in the Rain" and even those glorious old antiques, "Broadway Melody" and "The Jazz Singer" (with the title probably changing to "The Rap Singer.") What do you think of this new trend? Who would you want to see cast in these remakes? Are there other old favorites you'd like to see redone? Should Hollywood leave the classics alone? Is there always the danger that many of these REMAKES will bomb like the hideous 'Chorus Line', "The Wiz" and 'Godspell"? The line starts here.

I had said once before that I would love to see Liza Minnelli in a remake of "Mame." I think she would be perfect for it at her stage of life. I don't believe that there are enought talented people in Hollywood today to pull off some of the remakes that Paty mentioned above. They would want to use someone with big box office appeal that does not have the skill or training to do a musical. I also believe that the idea is somewhat of a fad. After "Chicago" has its run, the studios will continue to make the crap that insults your intelligence that they have been making for years now. Either that, OR, they WILL remake old musicals, except that they will update them and change them around so much that they will be unrecognizable to the general public as being remakes. Only people like us will notice. I have seen this happen before, and when I try to tell people that a current film is just a re-working of an old film, they look at me like I have four heads! Its sad that even though film is the most widely loved art form, most people don't know much about it or its history.

>>Talk is serious about redoing "Viva Las Vegas," "Gypsy," "Mame," "Oliver," "Singin' in the Rain"<<

Oh please say no. :(

No, I really don't like this trend at all. I'm sorry, but I thought Chicago was Chit.