Sign in to follow this  
samkqboro

---Movie Soundtracks---

7 posts in this topic

I'm just a bit curious to know what is your favorite Movie Soundtrack/Score from any film before 1959? Please post your answers. Thanks!!!

I kinda like BABY FACE'S (1933) music, but it's not a soundtract really, just one song. I think the main song it uses is "St. Louis Blues" and it's sexy trumpet solo goes perfectly with Baby Face's rise as she sleeps her way up the corporate ladder.

GONE WITH THE WIND (1939) has an awesome soundtract. I like how Max Steiner weaves southern tunes into the music.

You sort of recognize a tune, and then it changes on you. This is an example of the music perfectly complimenting the action in a film.

And I always end up humming tunes from GOLDDIGGERS OF 1933 (1933) after it ends.

Sam, you might enjoy a previous discussion of this interesting topic under the forum heading of Your Favorite Movie Composers, to be found in the Favorites forum.

Some of my favorite scores were written by Bernard Herrmann, whose work, while influenced by Vaughan Williams & Debussy, have a distinctive brooding romanticism to them: I'm particularly fond of his compositions for "Jane Eyre" (1944), "On Dangerous Ground" (1951), & "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (1951)--love that use of the Theremin! I think he reached his peak with music for "The Ghost & Mrs. Muir" (1947). While he is often most closely associated with Hitchcock's films, I actually prefer his other music. From what I read, he was an interesting, if difficult individual--and a very talented composer.

Sam although my very favorite score is from "Gone With the Wind" here are some other memorable scores:

"Now, Voyager" (1942) Max Steiner

"The Song of Bernadette" (1943) Alfred Newman

"Since You Went Away" (1944) Max Steiner

"The Heiress" (1949) Aaron Copeland

"The High and the Mighty" (1954) Dimitri Tiomkin

Mongo

Thanks to your suggestions, I will be very busy the coming weeks listening to some good music. :)

Hopefully I will be getting more. If you agree with previous poster's favorites, please post your agreements.

Mongo, I also like "Gone With The Wind"'s score as well. Thanks for the other suggestions!

Mongo, you're absolutely correct--THE HEIRESS is an exceptional score. I like how the theme song is woven into the action of the picture, courtesy of Aaron Copeland, I think.