IanPatrickMovieReviews

"Christmas in Connecticut" 1945 Video Movie Review - Good Christmas Food!

18 posts in this topic

How come nobody replied to Ian about this great film..?

There were a few chances to see it last month on TCM.

In my opinion, it's one of those films that should be seen in other months, too.

How come nobody replied to Ian about this great film..?

There were a few chances to see it last month on TCM.

In my opinion, it's one of those films that should be seen in other months, too.

What,  now you want TCM to show more repeats?    Stanwyck is featured by TCM almost as much as Cary Grant.

;)

What,  now you want TCM to show more repeats?    Stanwyck is featured by TCM almost as much as Cary Grant.

;)

Actually, I was meaning to suggest that they should do a Christmas in July type theme mid-summer. And show some of these then. I am not in favour of endless repeats, but I also don't think a good film should only be trotted out once a year in tandem with a holiday.

In the same regard, it bugs me that they only seem to show YOUNG CASSIDY on St. Patrick's Day. Such a good film that should be seen a little more often.

"Christmas In Connecticut" is a highly enjoyable farcical comedy - a genre that is rarely done well in the movies - I recommend it at least once a year - I added it to my DVD collection at home.

I agree completely with you, Rayban.  This movie is pure entertainment.  And Stanwyck never looked better.  What a shame that she and Dennis Morgan didn't work together more frequently.

Terrence.

The movie is beautifully directed - by a director I don't know too well, Peter Godfrey - and beautifully acted - by such a terrific ensemble cast.

I do wish that Barbara Stanwyck had made more comedies.

And isn't it time for a re-discovery of Dennis Morgan?

Rayban, I agree with you about Dennis Morgan.  He could do it all--comedies, musicals, dramas.  And he was always believable.  Plus,  he was a truly nice guy in real life.  For some reason, that made a big impression on me.

Terrence.

I never got over Dennis Morgan in "Kitty Foyle" - he was just so attractive, wasn't he?

Could you recommend one of his Warner Bros. musicals?

I never got over Dennis Morgan in "Kitty Foyle" - he was just so attractive, wasn't he?

Could you recommend one of his Warner Bros. musicals?

The Desert Song is a fine musical.  

Rayban, I agree with you about Dennis Morgan.  He could do it all--comedies, musicals, dramas.  And he was always believable.  Plus,  he was a truly nice guy in real life.  For some reason, that made a big impression on me.

Terrence.

He also did a few noteworthy westerns, too.

The Warner Collection has just released three musicals that he made with Jack Carson - "The Time, The Place and The Girl", "Two Guys From Milwaukee" and "Two Guys From Texas".

The Warner Collection has just released three musicals that he made with Jack Carson - "The Time, The Place and The Girl", "Two Guys From Milwaukee" and "Two Guys From Texas".

That's good news.

I am wondering if Dennis Morgan or Jack Carson have ever been Star of the Month on TCM...?

They both could be - each of them had substantial careers.

And they could move so easily from one genre to the next.

Strangely enough, whenever I think of Jack Carson, I think of "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof".

And, whenever I think of Dennis Morgan, I think of him opposite Ginger Rogers in "Kitty Foyle".

(The fact that Ginger Rogers walked out on Dennis Morgan was a very hard pill to swallow.)

Was there an earlier version of "The Desert Song"?  I only remember the one with Gordon MacRae.

It was produced in b&w by Warner Brothers in 1943 with Dennis Morgan, which was the second version (it was previously filmed by the studio in 1929 with John Boles, but that earlier production has missing elements and is awaiting a complete restoration).

There were rights issues holding up the '43 version (over some of the songs I believe). And it took many years to iron things out, so in the meantime the Technicolor one with MacRae was the only one ever shown on TCM. But last year Morgan's did get released on disc by the Warner Archives so I'm assuming the legal issues were resolved and hopefully it will turn up on TCM at some point.

They both could be - each of them had substantial careers.

And they could move so easily from one genre to the next.

Strangely enough, whenever I think of Jack Carson, I think of "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof".

And, whenever I think of Dennis Morgan, I think of him opposite Ginger Rogers in "Kitty Foyle".

(The fact that Ginger Rogers walked out on Dennis Morgan was a very hard pill to swallow.)

If I am not mistaken Dennis Morgan was Star of the Month back in the 90s when TCM was young. I don't think Carson has ever had the honor.

It would be wonderful if they could be Co-Stars of the Month. That would be a great way to do it, if you ask me.

Christmas in Connecticut is, indeed, a delight.  I also like The Man Who Came to Dinner (1942). Both have wonderful  sets, and two great actresses, Bette Davis and Barbara Stanwyck.  I still find it amazing how these films evoke Christmas and winter while being shot in sunny & hot Los Angeles.