Sign in to follow this  
Blaisekey

Favourite Swashbuckler?

43 posts in this topic

I was wondering what everyone's favorite swashbuckler film was when they were young. Mine was "The Adventures of Robin Hood", starring Erroyl Flynn and Olivia de Haviland. I watched it over and over again. I loved it so much because of all the swordfights and lovely costumes. Ever since I was young it was my favorite movie, and I still enjoy it today. Tell me what was yours.

For me, it's a close race between "Captain Blood" and "The Sea Hawk"...but I think I'd give "The Sea Hawk" a slight edge, chiefly because of the opening battle scene, which was brilliant.

But on the other hand, Olivia deHavilland was really good in "Captain Blood".....

Bleh! They are both fantastic! :D

Mine is The Wife of Monte Cristo (1945) starring Eva Gabor. It addresses conspiracy theory & biowarfare in 19th century, which are relevant today. TCM should show this movie.

I'm with you. "The Adventures of Robin Hood" owes much of its popularity to Flynn. He was certainly athletic and graceful in his fencing. (Rathbone was probably better.) But the cast, score and direction are first rate. Flynn's charm really makes the character a favorite. It's very much like in "Captain Blood".

For some more pretty good fencing check out Maureen O'Hara in some swashbucklers from the 40s.

You know, I heard (I think in one of the special features on the "Captain Blood" DVD?) that Basil Rathbone was supposedly THE best swordsman in Hollywood at the time. Apparently he took it very seriously - not just for acting, but in real life.

He sure is good in "Captain Blood" and "The Adventures of Robin Hood"!!!

I like all the Swashbucklers with Errol Flynn and Tyrone Power. Scaramouche, the Crimson Pirate and the Three Musketeers, with Michael York, are also favorites.

Message was edited by:

Mark_Thorson

My favorite Swashbuckler is Errol Flynn. No one could swash a buckle like Errol. I think The Aventures of Robin Hood, Captain Blood, and The SeaHawk are the best Swashbucklers and some of the best movies period.

P.S. Can you tell that I just love and adore Errol Flynn? ;-)

I would say Errol Flynn is my favorite. "Captain Blood" and "Adventures of Robin Hood" are terrific, and I have probably memorized them.

However, there are other good ones out there too. I gave up on Douglas Fairbanks Sr.'s "Mark of Zorro" and found "Black Pirate" too far fetched, BUT I really liked his "Three Musketeers" and "The Iron Mask."

Also, I just saw the Stewart Granger "Scaramouche" on DVD and loved it. It moves rapidly and is quite entertaining. The humor works, and the fencing is terrific. Why was this never on TV when I was a kid or shown by film societies when I was in college? This is probably the best post-WWII swashbuckler.

I just watched "The Crimson Pirate" on DVD yesterday. Again, I had heard about it for a long time, but it never seemed to be on TV or in film societies when I was younger.

It is good, almost great. It is very, very funny but goes awry when it stretches into seriousness a bit and then gets far fetched with the invention of "modern" weaponry. But my kids got a blast out of it, and most of the humor holds up.

What struck me was that although it was 1952, this felt like a Seventies "buddy" movie with Burt Lancaster and Nick Cravat as the buddies. This was almost "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid as Pirates."

It might make a good double feature with "Beat the Devil" as "Fifties films that feel like they're from a later decade."

Tyrone Power in 'Captain from Castile' , with George Sanders, Jean Peters, I think Cesar Romero, but I can't remember the blond girl.

I loved Errol Flynn in Captain Blood. No one can tell me that Orlando Bloom in Pirates of the Caribbean wasn't made up to look like him.

I saw part of The Buccaneer with Frederic March '37 I think and it was enjoyable. They show a dog in one sceen and I think it's Toto from the Wizard of Oz.

"I saw part of The Buccaneer with Frederic March '37 I think and it was enjoyable. They show a dog in one sceen and I think it's Toto from the Wizard of Oz."

You're so right, Ms. Belle. Terry was the Cairn Terrier who played Toto in The Wizard of Oz, and she was also featured in The Buccaneer. She was in a lot of movies in the 1930's and early 1940's. Watch for her fight scene in The Women.

> adventures of robin hood....flynn

>

> mark of zorro....power

>

> three musketeers....abel

>

> sinbad the sailor....fairbanks jr

>

> man in the iron mask....hayward

The best feature of " Sinbad the Sailor ", is Maureen O' Hara in Technicolor. " The Man in the Iron Mask ' had Joan Bennett. The films of yesterday had very beautiful woman. Today it seems exposed skin makes up for the lack of real allure. I am not a prude, far from it.

it's been so long since i've seen MITIM that i don't even remember bennett. i should enter that one in movies i'd like to see....

also,,,back then, women were women and men were men. today, they're all boys and girls.

"sinbad the sailor" starring brad pitt, keira knightly, oliver platt, joaquin phoenix.

Scaramouche is also one of my all time favorites. Sword play is tricky and often looks fake. It's quite harrowing and convincing in Scaramouche though, particularly when the Marquee cuts through that large fern with his sword in the opera house.

Second pick for me is The Sea Hawk - a masterful Errol Flynn swashbuckler, even if the final duel is doubled for character actor Henry Daniel who - sadly - couldn't swash worth a damn.

So far, "At Sword's Point" with Maureen O'Hara is the one that stands out for me.

I like swashbucklers with female characters who are called upon to fence or swordfight. It's fun watching those duels, where the lady proves herself the equal of the person she's duelling.

I would love to see these movies, only a few of which I've ever seen, all or most apparently featuring women in swashbuckling roles, on TCM.

"The Wife of Monte Cristo" (Lenore Aubert)

"The Lion of St. Mark (Il Leone Di San Marco)" (Gianna Maria Canale)

"The Swordsman of Siena" (Sylva Koscina)

"Against All Flags" (Maureen O'Hara).

"Queen of the Pirates" (Gianna Maria Canale)

"Tiger of the Seven Seas" (Gianna Maria Canale)

"Captain Kidd and the Slave Girl" (Sonia Sorrell)

"Abbott & Costello Meet Captain Kidd" (Hillary Brooke)

"Diane" (Lana Turner).

"The Lady in the Iron Mask" (Patricia Medina)

"Anne of the Indies" (Jean Peters)

"The King's Pirate" (Jill St. John).

"Isabella" (Brigitte Skay)

"The Demi-Bride" (Norma Shearer)

"When Knighthood was in Flower" (Marion Davies)

"Those Who Love (A los que aman)" (Monica Bellucci)

"The Fencing Master (El Maestro de esgrima)" (Assumpta Serna).

"Cyrano and D'Artagnan" (Sylva Koscina)

(among others)

Thanks again.

" The Mark of Zorro " with tyrone Power and " The Adventures of Robin Hood " with Errol Flynn, are two of the greatest swashbucklers of all time.