Sign in to follow this  
Blaisekey

Favourite Swashbuckler?

43 posts in this topic

MikeBSG, If you liked 1952's "The Crimson Pirate" you'll also enjoy Lancaster and Cravat in 1950's "The Flame and the Arrow" with Virginia Mayo.

A Little like Robin Hood, but with tongue in cheek.

vallo

Re: Favourite Swashbuckler?

Posted: Jan 8, 2007 5:06 AM in response to: Blaisekey Reply

So far, "At Sword's Point" with Maureen O'Hara is the one that stands out for me.

I like swashbucklers with female characters who are called upon to fence or swordfight. It's fun watching those duels, where the lady proves herself the equal of the person she's duelling.

I would love to see these movies, only a few of which I've ever seen, all or most apparently featuring women in swashbuckling roles, on TCM.

"The Wife of Monte Cristo" (Lenore Aubert)

"The Lion of St. Mark (Il Leone Di San Marco)" (Gianna Maria Canale)

"The Swordsman of Siena" (Sylva Koscina)

"Against All Flags" (Maureen O'Hara).

"Queen of the Pirates" (Gianna Maria Canale)

"Tiger of the Seven Seas" (Gianna Maria Canale)

"Captain Kidd and the Slave Girl" (Sonia Sorrell)

"Abbott & Costello Meet Captain Kidd" (Hillary Brooke)

"Diane" (Lana Turner).

"The Lady in the Iron Mask" (Patricia Medina)

"Anne of the Indies" (Jean Peters)

"The King's Pirate" (Jill St. John).

"Isabella" (Brigitte Skay)

"The Demi-Bride" (Norma Shearer)

"When Knighthood was in Flower" (Marion Davies)

"Those Who Love (A los que aman)" (Monica Bellucci)

"The Fencing Master (El Maestro de esgrima)" (Assumpta Serna).

"Cyrano and D'Artagnan" (Sylva Koscina)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

PirateMoviesRulz Says:

I agree, and to add on too that:

The Sea Hawk (1940)-Flynn

The Buccaneer (1959)

Buccaneer's Girl (1950)

Blackbeard,The Pirate (1952)

Captain Pirate (1952)

Anne of the Indies (1951)-as you mentioned

Against all Flags (1952)-as you mentioned

The Crimson Pirate (1952)

Pirates of Tortuga (1961)

Raiders of the Seven Seas (1953)

The Last of the Buccaneers

The Spanish Main

Captain Blood (1935)- Flynn

I would love to see all the pirate movies myself, because alot of the classics are better than some of todays pirate movies in my opinion.Im hoping TCM will play these eventually.

As for Flynn, he was one of my favorite swashbucklers out of all the pirate movies.

null

As you can tell by my name, my answer is Errol Flynn. But I also love the Three Muskateer movie with Michael York and Richard Chamberlain. I saw it in the theatre 13 times. I have never seen the long version again which is a shame as there was so much comedy with Chamberlain.

Also Timothy Dalton has done quite a few movies in England with a sword in his hand and one my favorites is called The Kings ****. Although he's not really a swashbuckler in it.

> {quote:title=flynnfan52 wrote:}

> As you can tell by my name, my answer is Errol Flynn.{quote}

Flynn is above and beyond. As is Douglas Fairbanks.

> {quote:title=flynnfan52 wrote:} But I also love the Three Musketeer movie with Michael York and Richard Chamberlain. I saw it in the theatre 13 times. I have never seen the long version again which is a shame as there was so much comedy with Chamberlain. {quote}

Richard Lester's Musketeer movies are personal favorites. York as nimble as Fairbanks, Chamberlain is oh so witty, Frank Finley is comically brilliant, Oliver Reed is darkly brooding and hilarious in turns, and Roy Kinnear is the funniest sidekick ever,

The real swashbuckler is Williams Hobbs, the fight arranger for these movies and many other modern classics.

With deference to Flynn and the classic swashbucklers I vote for William Hobbs, a fight arranger with a truckload of masterful fights to his credit.

The Lester Musketeers - Hobbs has a cameo as a 'drunk' who challenged Porthos to a duel.

The Duelist

The final duel from Dangerous Liaisons - a personal favorite.

The final duel from Rob Roy - another favorite.

Robin and Marian

etc....

Edited by: nrgrms on Jul 5, 2010 3:18 PM

And don't forget, swashbuckler lovers, there were a lot of good European ones made, too, with the likes of Jean Marais, Jacques Sernas, Pierre Cressoy, Frank Latimore, Lex Barker, Georges Marchal, Gerard Barray and others.

Ruy Blas

Il Falco Rosso (The Red Falcon)

The Devil's Cavaliers

Son of the Red Corsair

Tyrant of Castile

Surcouf

Chevalier de Pardailllon

Adventures of Mary Read

and many more

dear friend i agree with both the favorites i like flynn and granger they are both fantastic and i hope they are going to have a stewart granger month next month i would love to have a bunch of his movies in my dvd collection. well that is all i can think of. a friend

Cornel Wilde was excellent using a sword/sabre in At Sword's Point. He really looked like he had been fencing for years. I was impressed. I think Cornel is right up there with Tyrone and Errol as a top swashbuckler hero. They're all great to watch in these action flicks.

I also would consider Flynn to be my favorite...BUT the best duel I've ever seen in a movie has to be Tyrone Power vs. Basil Rathbone in "Mark of Zorro'!

The best duel?

Toughy.

At this moment, either Neeson vs. Roth at the end of Rob Roy or Malkovich vs. Reeves (believe it or not, Keanu) at the end of Dangerous Liaisons.

Or any of a number of clashes Carradine vs Keitel in Ridley Scott's first film, The Duelists.

I am going to have to go with the majority here-- I love Errol Flynn.

He is fantastic in "The Adventures of Robin Hood" and "Captain Blood." He's charming, gorgeous, and knows his way around a sword. I just love him. I could watch that man in anything, even if he was in a film where all he did was go grocery shopping for two hours. It'd be the greatest grocery shopping movie of all time.

"The Crimson Pirate" was pretty good. I loved all the acrobatics and silliness of that film. But Burt Lancaster was no Errol Flynn. Don't get me wrong though, Burt Lancaster is excellent; but given the choice between the two, I'd have to go with Mr. Flynn.