Sign in to follow this  
JanePowellFan

Cocaine Fiends and Reefer Madness

9 posts in this topic

These movies are meant to be serious but are so funny I was almost sick watching them, there is a really good-looking girl in 'Reefer Madness' but unfortunately she gets killed, and in 'Cocaine Fiends' check out the suicide scene, it looks like someone did a 'copy and paste' on the girl falling out of the window, amazingly bad special effects, these two are real classics!

They have become very popular among the drug culture, but as a non-drug user, I did see Reefer Madness on TV the other night, and it was very funny. They had cut out a couple of shots that I remembered, including one at the end that shows a group of topless girls giggling and cavorting in the mirror.

Movies like these were made and exhibited completely outside the studio system by former carney pitchmen who called themselves "The Forty Thieves." The filmmakers had no interest in the dangers of drug use; all they wanted was a product they could market as an adults only feature at small town indie theaters, in tent shows, and wherever else they could find a screen. They competed with the studios for audiences by doing subjects the studios were not allowed to handle, such as drugs and sex. There's not an ounce of seriousness or sincerity in the whole genre, and Kroger Babb, Dwain Esper, and the rest of them would laugh their butts off at the very idea. It was all to lure in the yokels.

David F Friedman, the nudie movies king of the 60s, is the last survivor of this group of renegade showmen, having started off in the 40s as the hygiene lecturer who delivered a spiel and sold a book during some of the VD and birth of a baby movies.

I did see Reefer Madness on TV the other night, and it was very funny. They had cut out a couple of shots that I remembered, including one at the end that shows a group of topless girls giggling and cavorting in the mirror.

That's from "Marihuana," another movie along the same subject line.

I didn't find "Reefer Madness" very funny. Somewhat amusing due to the heavily exaggerated portrayal of marijuana use, but not nearly as funny as it's made out to be. I think it's probably funnier to pot smokers, although the recent restored DVD release did improve my viewing experience greatly (commentary by Mike Nelson of Mystery Science Theater 3000 fame).

Reefer Madness is hilarious!

Dave O'Brien was great in that role. The only other tyhing I ever recall seeing him in was The Devil Bat, which was pretty funny as well. Neither was intentional, that's what makes them so fun to watch!

Dave O' Brien played in the Pete Smith Specialities. He was the one the main male " bumpkin ", in each episode, the one who always messed things up, no matter how simple.

ahem back in the days when I was young and stupid and smoking pot, this kind of movie would have been a big hit with all the stoners. I actually saw the original and the remade version on HBO. When I saw the original again I was laughing my butt off and to think this movie was made by the Government as an anti drug statement, Most kids who smoke pot would be laughing thier butts off other than being scared to death

Message was edited by:

nyz

About 30 years ago I saw a silent film from 1916 called Coke Enyday and The Mystery of the Leaping Fish. It was a true cult classic. Douglas Fairbanks played a drug addict detective that was trying to solve a crime. He would eat coke, opium, heroin, pot, hash by the handfuls. It was hilarious. I dont think but really hope TCM someday will play this classic. Come on TCM get bold! Please.

Message was edited by: XPIOLT

XPIOLT

(My first post! COOM-HA!!! get a load of what I'm bringing to the table!...)

Not quite in the same league as CF and RM, but when I was an eighth-grade student,

around 1970 or '71, nobody in the hometown area had a videotape or 'disc player, so

any films we saw in the classrooms were courtesy of an old projector, played upon a

pull-down screen connected to the blackboard (If I'm gonna 'date myself', I'll do it with

bells and whistles! anyway...) One class I was in saw a film one day which purported

to tell the dangers of marihuana. A group of misguided youths smoked some and one

of them, I kid thee not, got hold of a bottle of Pepsi. This is before aluminum cans and

recyclable plastic, when Pepsi and Coke came only in glass bottles. One of the goofy,

drug-addled youth opens the bottle by breaking the bottle against a brick wall. The big

doofus drinks it and cuts his mouth open, blood 'n' everything. I laughed at this, the

teacher got mad and before long, I was talking to a school psychiatrist. Proof that you

don't need drugs to have a good time...or screw yerself up! Peace out, Blastingrod!