Sign in to follow this  
TomJH

Merry Christmas Fellow Posters, Merry Christmas TCM and Thank You For Giving Us The Movies

7 posts in this topic

On this most celebrated day throughout the Christian world, I would like to reiterate the love affair that I have had with the movies my entire life, and give thanks to a channel that has brought me more pleasure than any other.

As I now approach, should we say, some of the later chapters in that book of life through which we all travel, the intensity of my feelings of adoration for the movies has only increased with the passage of years.

There are moments in the movies, forever etched into my mind, that seem, in many ways, far more real and vivid to me than many of the events of my own life. They're certainly far more important to me. No, I don't think I'm crazy, at least not completely yet, in what I say, because I think that other posters here who have that same love of the movies will know exactly what I'm talking about.

Part of it is escapism, of course, but another part of it is the inspiration that those moments from the movies have given me in just dealing, at times, with life. Those cultural references that the movies have provided for me, for example, (perhaps recalling a memorable line of dialogue at a time when it was appropriate) have, in turn, enhanced the very pleasure of life itself for me. Others may feel that same way about a great book, a painting or some wonderful music that inspires them towards greater feelings of love and appreciation for the world in which they live. Well, I can certainly appreciate those other art forms, as well, but for me, in particular, though, it has always been the movies.

And TCM has been the television channel that has been the provider of those dreams and inspirations over the years more than any other. For that, on this day of days to the Christian world, at least, I want to extend my gratitude.

Here are just a few illustrations of movie moments that have meant so much to me, be they happy, sad, scarey, or poignant. This, as a famous hard boiled detective of the movies once said, is the stuff that dreams are made of:

ba5fb89f-e5cf-414f-9366-427e82252013_zps

adventures%20of%20robin%20hood%2054_zpsq

8e6fb5c1-bd9d-4521-981d-6e721322ced0_zps

9aa771ce-ee89-42fb-b548-ae8b316672bf_zps

Third%20man%202_zpstefmxel9.jpg

6093b52b-05d9-46a0-bb5d-27f62aaeca88_zps

3f26e623-a75f-4273-b86b-75cc3e4ba50e_zps

some%20like%20it%20hot%2010_zpsadw9csru.

6c2151f0-dc3e-41a3-8a63-9f491e292eb6_zps

5010b217-e8bc-455b-9b44-fd6ce3e36a50_zps

• Like 11

Best Holiday Wishes to all from the Duval family (Jack, Alma, Buddy, Virginia and Billy) of New Orleans who appear in the film Hot Spell. :D

dvn3vm.jpg

• Like 2

Merry Christmas everyone! 

I got Only Angels Have Wings and the TCM Greatest Classic Legends: Eleanor Powell collection for Christmas :-) 

Thank you TCM and everyone here for introducing me to so many wonderful films and stars.

2vhzklk.jpg

• Like 4

Merry Boxing Day to all!! (Hope all had a Merry Xmas too...)

Any Boxing Day movies ever made?

BTW, Happy New Year!

• Like 2

"X" mas???

Let's not start with THAT again!!  :D

Anyway, I don't know much about Boxing Day, what it's about and/or in recognition or celebration of, but have a good one anyway.

Don't know of ANY Boxing Day movies,OR why not.  Interesting question.

Hope the rest of you had a good and joyous day.  Sadly, mine wasn't without some depressing drama.

Haven't been here since Wednesday morn, but I understand THAT night there were a few tornadoes that killed a few people in the South.  That's sad.  I've always hated hearing of any tragedy happening around this "festive" time of year, and probably since the holiday HAS long brought much joy and happiness to many people over the years, it seems somehow MORE tragic around this time.  It's not really,  but it just feels that way to me. 

There also was a tornado touchdown in nearby Canton and Plymouth MI,  just about 15-20 miles from where I live, and it surprised me to learn of it. 

But, as to that  bit of drama for me........

Our family usually(like many others, I've learned) has a big get together on Christmas Eve, where most of the Christmas gifts are exchanged and opened.

This year, my wife and I opted to give one particular grandniece, we'll call niece "A", , her sister, Niece "B",  a nephew and his wife and two grandnephews  gift envelopes.  Niece "A" got a card for going to the movies(enough on it for her and her boyfriend), her sister, Niece "B", a card with enough on it for two dinners at The Olive Garden(her favorite restaraunt), the two grandnephews  a "money card" each with $20 each in them.  However....

The nephew got HIS gift card, niece "A" got HER card, but the envelopes for niece "B" and the  two grandnephews wound up missing!  I KNOW they were brought there because I saw them a couple of so hours before as I put ALL the gifts we brought there in a spot under the tree, and ALL the envelopes were  in a mid-sized bag that also held a few SMALL gift bags.  I later saw niece "A" s envelope outside of THAT bag, and ALL the other envelopes were NOT in that mid-sized bag!

But, we still had a good time(in spite) and my nephew(whose house the gathering took place) has vowed to seriously look into the matter.  I have no reason to either doubt or suspect this nephew of anything.  As far as THAT goes, it would be his BROTHER who'd be immidiately suspect.  But, as HE wasn't there that night, the mystery continues......

Sepiatone

Niece "A" got a card for going to the movies(enough on it for her and her boyfriend), her sister, Niece "B", a card with enough on it for two dinners at The Olive Garden(her favorite restaraunt), 

I thought you were going to say that Niece "A" got Niece "B's" card, and vice versa, thus introducing a version of Green Dolphin Street into your family.

I thought you were going to say that Niece "A" got Niece "B's" card, and vice versa, thus introducing a version of Green Dolphin Street into your family.

Niece "B" wasn't even there that night.  But since she lives with niece "A", I thought perhaps SHE took it in order to give it to her when she saw her, but she claims she didn't, and still, the two money cards for the two grandnephews are still missing...

So, it turns out to be a kind of POIROT mystery!  :)

Sepiatone