Sign in to follow this  
miffed13

favorite musicals

43 posts in this topic

Hi bradtexasranger!

I think you will like this movie a lot! The music the performers the scenery is really great.It's one of my favorite musicals! I never get tired of this movie especially the music! Hope you will enjoy it i like to hear what you think after you watch it!

Christine

> Hi bradtexasranger!

> I think you will like this movie a lot! The music the

> performers the scenery is really great.It's one of my

> favorite musicals! I never get tired of this movie

> especially the music! Hope you will enjoy it i like

> to hear what you think after you watch it!

>

> hristine

Well, I finally watched it(South Pacific) today. Loved it, loved it, loved it! All the music was deeeeelightful. I enjoyed the color tinting, even though I just read in the TCM article that it didn't go over so big. But I thought it was great to look at, as well as listen to. I also enjoyed the still scenes shown before and after. A rare time where I say "It can't be over already!" I'm definitely keeping this on my DVR.

Brad

Glad you liked it, Brad. I still wish Doris Day had done Nellie!! She would have been perfect in the role.

> Glad you liked it, Brad. I still wish Doris Day had

> done Nellie!! She would have been perfect in the role.

Don't know if I can agree with you on Doris Day..............lol.

Just curious, what's your opinion on the color tinting? I enjoyed it.

Brad

I often liked the color experimentation. There were a couple of scenes where the color was a bit lurid, but overall, I think the filters worked. It's been so long since I've seen it; I'd be curious to see it on the big screen.

Now that you mention it I do remember seeing something about it, but at the time I thought "Brandy????', and I guess I was right, where is she now? But who in the world played Prince Charming, surely not Jason Alexander!!!

I never saw the Julie Andrews version, I'm sorry about that, I would have liked to.

They showed the Julie Andrews "Cinderella" on PBS a couple of years ago, so I'm betting it might be available on DVD by now.

I think it worked sporadically. You should read Josh Logan's bio on this. Apparently the tinting went haywire in the lab. It was supposed to be a lot subtler but , unfortunately, it came out much more garishly. Logan could do nothing about it, so he made the best of a bad job.

By the way, I'm a big R & H fan. My personal favorites as films are: " The Sound of Music"and "The King and I"

The very handsome male ingenue Paolo Montalban played the prince. Mr. Alexander was his page. Where is Brandy now? She's been doing television this past year. And she's the mother of a 4-year-old, which I would imagine is taking up a fair amount of her time...

And yes, MikeBSG, as I mentioned below, all three R&H Cinderella versions are out on DVD. By the way, the stepsisters in the 1957 version were played by Kaye Ballard and Alice Ghostley! It was filmed on a stage which was the size of a postage stamp; and had a very economical approach. It's interesting to see the original and such a young Julie Andrews, but the Lesley Ann Warren was an improvement.

42nd Street is on Wednesday's schedule. It actually plays early Thursday morning, 1:30 AM. It's a great favorite of many. Good music. "You're Getting To Be A Habit With Me" for example. A good one to record!

My all time favorite musical is The King and I. The music in that film is simply wonderful (I even got the soundtrack for my birthday), and Yul Brynner and Deborah Kerr were fantastic in their roles.

My second favorite would have to be The Wizard of Oz. "Over the Rainbow" is my all-time favorite song, and Judy Garland is the greatest female vocalist who ever lived.

My top favorite musicals would have to be, The Wizard of Oz, Meet Me In St. Louis, Easter Parade, The Sound of Music, and the King and I.

I agree with the previous post, Judy Garland is the greatest. She is one of the few vocalists who could sing with the exact emotion that the song represented. She was always perfect emotionally in songs and films.

The Band Wagon

Summer Stock

The Wizard of Oz

The Ziegfeld Follies

Singin in the Rain

South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut

Message was edited by:

SouthParkFan8000

Message was edited by:

SouthParkFan8000