Sign in to follow this  
Fandango

Where's the Great Gary Cooper Collection?

13 posts in this topic

Gary Cooper is my favorite actor of the thirties and forties, anyway I know we got an alright collection last year with 5 of his movies but how come we haven't got the $80-$100 collection yet? Or a collection of at least 10-20 films, does anybody know how to go about getting the word out?

WB announced they were releasing a boxed set of his films this year, but they only announced 2 of the tiltes: Sergeant York and The Hanging Tree.

Many of Coop's best films were done for Paramount and Columbia.

I believe Paramount may be releasing a DVD of Beau Geste but don't believe it until I have confirmation.

Columbia's movies are now owned by Sony and they have stepped up their DVD classic releases so there is hope there.

Liz,

In fact "Beau Geste" is one of the films that's included in the 2-DVD set that Universal released last year (all Paramount titles) and that also includes "Peter Ibbetson", "Lives of a Bengal Lancer", "Design for Living" and "The General Died at Dawn".

Feiato,

Thanks for the confirmation. Paramount and Universal are very slow to recognize the treasure troves they are sitting on but it does make me happy to see some action on Universal's part!

Welcome Lynn (sorry for the mistake in the previous post),

Yes indeed, Universal is "reacting", which is confirmed by the upcoming releases of the Mae West, Carole Lombard and Marlene Dietrich "Glamour Collections", plus the De Mille Collection. Let's keep our fingers crossed for more Paramount goodies.

The Gary Cooper title I'm wishing for on DVD is Ten North Frederick (1958). It's one of the last films Cooper starred in, and he is excellent in it. Great supporting cast too.

A Gary Cooper boxed set from Warners is very welcome and long overdue. Sergeant York is of course a must, but why The Hanging Tree, when they have in their combines WB-MGM archives films like Today We Live, Saratoga Trunk, The Fountainhead, Bright Leaf and Love in the Afternoon?

The Universal Gary Cooper Collection of 5 Paramount films from the 1930s is excellent. Also check out the Image Entertainment DVD of A Farewell to Arms, an excellent print restored to the film's original running time and with the original Paramount credits.

Sony/Columbia is not only slow at issuing classic films on DVD but they are also damned expensive.

Jerry,

Sony/Columbia is showing more signs of life in releasing DVDs of their Classic library.

Paramount seems to be slowly recovering from a bone-headed marketing decision from the late 1990s that slowed the release of films from their vaults.

General Electric is now the owner of Universal so whether any light gets shined on their vaults is any one's guess.

The thing is a lot of Coop's movies have been released all sepertley to dvd, movies especially from the 1950's. So I don't see a need to include them yet, the next set I would very much like it to be all thirties maybe even some forties added. You could do a $50 box set of his twenties work, a $100 box set of his thirties work, a $100 box set of his forties work and so fourth.

Let me ask you this what movies would you like to see in any future Gary Cooper box set?