Sign in to follow this  
pestocat

M 1951

4 posts in this topic

I just finished watching M, the 1951 version of the 1931 Fritz Lang masterpiece. This later version takes place in Los Angeles instead of Germany. There were many film noir elements, shadows, mirrors, large depth of field, etc. The later version followed almost scene for scene of the 1931 version. I still think the original M can't be beat. The office building where the child molester is found has a beautiful interior. Open center area with cast iron railings and open air elevators. I'm sure that building is long gone. The introduction of the film on TCM was interesting, it was made in 1951, but only released 2 years ago. There was much controversy, maybe the subject matter, a child killer. This film played on Jan. 1st on TCM, I checked to see if it was available on NetFlix, but no go, just the 1931 version. If you saw the original and liked it, try to see this one if you can.

Gary

• Like 1

I haven't seen the later version of M, but the office building interior you are describing is most likely the Bradbury Bldg., an architectural gem in downtown L.A. which is still there and has been featured in many many films, including two of my favorite noirs, "D.O.A." (1950) and "I, the Jury" (1952)...

Yes, that was it. There was a very similar building in Minneapolis, the Metropolitan. It's gone long ago. In the late 1950's I delivered small items to some of the offices. The elevator was open just like the Bradbury. The floors and stairs were etched glass. So sad to see it go.

I haven't seen the later version of M, but the office building interior you are describing is most likely the Bradbury Bldg., an architectural gem in downtown L.A. which is still there and has been featured in many many films, including two of my favorite noirs, "D.O.A." (1950) and "I, the Jury" (1952)...