Sign in to follow this  
Fandango

Any Gary Cooper Fans?

6,669 posts in this topic

It seems people like Clark Gable and Cary Grant are much bigger now then Cooper which isn't fair, Gable in particular becuase of Gone with the Wind, you know Cooper was first offered that film then turned it down. Anyway during the thirties and forties Gable wasn't even in the same league as Coop, Coop was much bigger then Gable throughout his career. As for Cary Grant, Grant wasn't as big as Coop during the thirties and early forites, up until For Whom the Bell Tolls Coop was bigger then any actor going and this all began in the late twenties with especially the role in The Virginian. I see why Grant is the more known and popular actor right now out of the two because Grant has more 'classic' films from the fifties then Coop thanks in part from Alfred Hitchcock! Not only that but Grant died in the 1980's while Coop died in 1961 at age 60, which doesn't help matters to go on and be a remembered name. You see thirties films aren't as highly regarded as the forties and fifties are so that's why a guy like Grant is more known and popular but Coop made his fair share of classics in the fifties like High Noon and Love in the Afternoon.

Of late people talk less about Gary Cooper which is very unfortunate he's one of my favorite actors and in my opinion during the late twenties into the early forties he was the biggest actor out of any and the best looking too, well maybe Garbo was number 1 in that category but Coop was number 2!

We need some great collections of Cooper's work on dvd now!

Here's some favorites of mine of Coop,

The Virginian, Morocco, The Lives of a Bengal Lancer, Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, The Plainsman, Beau Geste, The Westerner, Meet John Doe, Sergeant York, The Pride of the Yankees, For Whom the Bell Tolls, High Noon and Love in the Afternoon.

I simply love all of his work so I could go on and on but there's the gist throughout each decade - well, ready to contribute?

Unfortunately your right about Cooper, he made some great films and is overlooked by younger audiences today. He was a regular guy and played those roles maybe better than Grant and Gable. Loved him in all the films you mentioned also liked "Vera Cruz" I think Coop. and Burt Lancaster played off each other well. other movies with Cooper are. Ball of Fire, Beau Geste, Sargeant York, The Court-Martial of Billy Mitchell and of course The Hanging Tree.

vallo

Gary Cooper is one of my favorite actors. He's really down to earth. His voice has a certain charm to it. Tall and don't for handsome. He was going thru a divorce, while filming "HIGH NOON". It was a tough time for him.

He seemed to put his whole heart, into his charactor. Whatever it had to be.

I enjoy any movie,that Cooper's in. I must admit, my favorite is..........."FRIENDLY PERSUASION".

He's a quaker, has a farm & family. They buggy race to church. His neighbor & him. He even buys a faster horse. He also buys a organ,hides it in the attic. It's such good film. I can forget about everything else, when I watch this movie.

If you haven't seen it, do so. You won't regret it, for a moment.

"Sereant York" and "High Noon", are my runners up. Along with "Meet John Doe" cause I adore Barbara Stanwyck.

'Coop' is definitely one of my favorites, another (in the long line) of Samuel Goldwyn's "discoveries". One thing I found fascinating in A. Scott Berg's biography of the producer (about Cooper) was that Goldwyn, his directors, and even some who acted opposite the actor didn't initially "see" anything to his acting technique ... until they viewed the dailies (rushes) and saw how well his little smirks and mannerisms came across, helping to make his "every man" characters so genuine. His female co-stars were attracted (overly so?) to his animal magnetism and attributes (he reportedly had, er, big hands & feet;-)

I've enjoyed Cooper, who was especially adept playing real life persons, in so many films (whether the movies themselves were any good or not - and most were!): Man of the West (1958), Love in the Afternoon (1957), Friendly Persuasion (1956), The Court-Martial of Billy Mitchell (1955), Vera Cruz (1954), High Noon (1952), The Fountainhead (1949), Along Came Jones (1945), For Whom the Bell Tolls (1943), The Pride of the Yankees (1942), Ball of Fire (1941), Sergeant York (1941), Meet John Doe (1941), The Westerner (1940), Beau Geste (1939), The Cowboy and the Lady (1938), The General Died at Dawn (1936), Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (1936), Peter Ibbetson (1935), The Lives of a Bengal Lancer (1935), Design for Living (1933), A Farewell to Arms (1932), Morocco (1930), and I'd love to see Wings (1927)!

Funny you should mention that younger persons don't seem to know who he is - when I went to imdb.com to review the list of his films, I noticed that there's a thread about the most overrated actors of all time ... not!

That's quite a list. I got to see most of his films back in the 70's and 80's. Last summer I saw "Return To Paradise." It was the first new film of his I've caught in about 25 years. You'll have to enjoy "Wings" for more than Cooper. He doesn't appear until well into the movie.(If memory serves me correctly.)

I think the problem with people knowing about Cooper, and especially his range is that like most other actors there is only a handful of his movies shown. Some on your list I haven't seen programmed in years. I've seen "The Virginian", "The Plainsman", "Bluebeard's Eight Wife" (how's that for rare?) and others from the 30's but I may not live long enough to see them again.

I like all three (Grant, Gable and Cooper). They each have their own charm. I like Cooper best when he is less like the "Gary Cooper" that people seem to associate him wiht--strong and silent. He's definitely not silent in movies like "Desire" (in that one he's downright giddy), "Ball of Fire" and "Design for Living." He had a flair for comedy that I think people forget, associating him with moies like "High Noon."

Talking about rare Cooper, I sometimes wonder what I was thinking when I recorded over my tape of His Woman (1931) and Devil and the Deep (1932). Oh well, at least I kept Madame Butterfly, with Grant, though it's not the same.

I am actually 22 years old and since I was 12 years old I've been a big fan of Coop's, the first film I was introduced to was The Pride of the Yankees and that still could be my favorite Gary Cooper film! I just find his movies so interesting and fun to watch and there's many of them that are great and memorable movies too! A must read is Gary Cooper American Hero by Jeffrey Meyers also be sure to pick up Coop's daughter's book Gary Cooper Off Camera by Maria Cooper Janis and last but not least the Homer Dickens book The Complete Films of Gary Cooper.

Really Coop is the guy that got me right into older movies, movies from the twenties to the forties and the thing is once you begin watching his movies or reading his story it just starts to spread and you become more and more interested not only in Coop but the people of his time, the actors, directors and the movies, I love older films and its just about time that its being more recognized thru dvd.

If your looking for films of Coop to buy go to amazon or ebay it sure helped me and now I've seen almost all of his films as well own them...

The thing is this can be a really fun thread there's not too many great message boards out there that praise Coop so lets be the first and if your a fan too or just interested its going to be fun no doubt about that, make sure you check out his actors page thru imdb and read the triva and such as well to a look at his great filmography.

From being a stunt man to playing bit parts to finally having a small breakthrough role that changed his life forever in the first Academy Awards winner Wings. During the beginning stages he appeared in movies with Rudolph Valentino and Clare Bow. He was a natural in Wings and he finally became the biggest actor of his time in 1929 with the classic western The Virginian, really one of the first 'talkie' motion pictures! He had many romances and love affairs with his co-stars thru his career, he was one of the highest paid actors of his time, if not at times the highest! He was very good friends with Ernest Hemingway, he turned down both Stagecoach and Gone with the Wind. He appeared in eight movies with Walter Brennan. He appeared in 107 movies, 82 of which he starred in. Only 16 of those were filmed in color and he starred in 14 silent movies. He starred in 20 westerns and three of those were silents.

Other notable favorites not mentioned are, Fighting Caravans, City Streets, Souls at Sea. As for the forties movies like, Meet John Doe, Ball of Fire and Cloak and Dagger. The fifties brought us movies like Distant Drums and The Wreck of the Mary Dear and lastly his last movies The Naked Edge in 1961.

This thread reminds me of a former board member Stella, who idolized Gary Cooper. She would have him for breakfast, lunch and dinner (whenever his films aired on TCM).

Stella was also a hoot and made these boards a happy place to be.

STELLA, WHERE ARE YOU?

By the way, Gary Cooper rocks in "Cloak and Dagger" (1946), a favorite of mine that I would like to see again.

It's funny you should mention that since we use to spoof "A Streetcar Named Desire" with her.

When she was off the boards on occasion I would just post:

Hey Stellaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Path, I checked out your 'everyman' site and the comparison of Gary Cooper and James Stewart is ideal.

I would not hesitate to add Henry 'Hank' Fonda to the fold, especially since he played Abraham Lincoln and was close friends with Jimmy Stewart.

Gary Cooper who was 6'3'' and stood at 185 pounds was from Helena, Montana he lived there for the most part until he reach early adulthood (except he spent a couple of years in the United Kingdom during his early teens) Coop was around the old westerner's, the Mexicans, Indians and Cowboys he new the West and its history even in his westerns the director would come up to him and ask him is this authentic, etc. He was a loner, men wanted to be him and women wanted him, he was the ideal man to be on screen to speak for men, lets begin a new chapter-discussion on his many love affairs, his love affairs include,

Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly, Ingrid Bergman, Fay Wray, Clara Bow, Marlene Dietrich, Tallulah Bankhead, Patricia Neal, Lupe Valez, Carole Lombard, Dorthy di Frasso, Evelyn Brent, Doris Virden, Joan Crawford, Mari Aldon, Lorraine Chanel, Gisele Pascal, Barbara Stanwyck, Anita Ekberg...

There are many interesting stories that follow with these affairs, epsecially names lile Lupe Valez and Dorthy di Frasso.

Enjoyed all of Mr. Cooper's films. Number one for me is The Fountainhead. He was Howard Roark. Other favorites not mentioned before: Ten North Frederick, Unconquered and Task Force.

Gary Cooper seemed to have the lowest profile of the 3, Gable, Grant + Cooper, and the greatest sex appeal. I adore Cary Grant; never saw much in Gable.

Just my 2?.

He's got the longest eyelashes and prettiest eyes, especially in old 30's pics. And an adorable smile.

Hello,

I am a huge Gary cooper fan, and so I did open a forum devoted to him.

Would be ncie to meet you there!

Here's the link:

http://garycooper.pro-board.com/

Notice: You can do everything as a guest there, but you'll be only able to see the posted pictures as a registered member.

bye*

Nici