Sign in to follow this  
Fandango

Any Gary Cooper Fans?

6,669 posts in this topic

My mom and I were both on the edges of our seats watching the end of *In Name Only*. That?s a movie that really sucks you in and grabs hold of you.

I can picture Cary Grant as a fun dad . In that Photoplay mag I got from '38 which had a very good and lengthy article about Gary it talked about kids. Maria wasn?t quite a year old yet and they said something about how she was their first child and how he also would like to have a boy. I thought that was kinda sad b/c for whatever reason they didn?t have any more. I really liked how he talked about wanting to raise her right so she wouldn?t be a spoiled, rich brat. It?s cool too b/c we can see now that he and Rocky did a wonderful job with her. Him talking about how much he loved her just made my little heart melt :P.

Oh that reminds of something else I read in the article Maria wrote that I posted about the other day. She said when her parents were separated, her mother never talked bad about her father or tried to turn Maria against him which sadly can happen with many breakups. Rocky told her not to be angry with him and she said she never was. My mom was the same way when my parents split up and I never did get upset with my dad about it even though he was to blame.

What I think is really sad is that Clark Gable wasn?t able to have a relationship with either of his kids. As far as I know (and I?m sure April knows more about this than me) he didn?t ever have a real relationship with his and Loretta Young?s daughter. Also his son was born a few months after he died.

Yes I think Charade is at the very least as good as any of Hitchcock's best movies and quite a bit better than any movie he did after Psycho and before Rebecca. I would say it is also a great deal better than that Cary Grant movie Suspicion don't you think. Charade did have one thing going for it that no Hitchcock movie had and that was Audrey Hepburn who I think was a great deal better of an an actress than any of Hitchcock's women.

Yes I was curious as to your thoughts on In Name Only as I know you are a very big Carole Lombard fan. Out of all the Cary Grant movies and I've watched 2 or 3 a day for about two months, both Penny Serenade and In Name Only impressed me the most. Yet I was also impressed with the amount of movies I really liked that Cary Grant was in. I can't think of one except maybe Suspicion that I was let down by. I can only think of one other actor that I have enjoyed nearly every movie that they were in and that would of course be Gary Cooper. To me I think just having Cary Grant or Gary Cooper in a movie automatically moves it from a one star movie to a 3 star one. I'm starting to think the same way about some other actors and actresses but not quite to the same exteme extent. Of course like Angie and Frank stated it helps to have a good screenwriter and good director as well.

To me I think just having Cary Grant or Gary Cooper in a movie automatically moves it from a one star movie to a 3 star one.

I quite agree, Dan.

Yes you are correct on Clark Gable never having a relationship with either of his kids as I just watched a bio on him the other day. I think Gary Cooper and Cary Grant would have been fun to have as dads. There is quite a bit of Cary's fun father skills in the movie Houseboat and the movie Father Goose of which I think Cary stated was the performance most like himself in real life.

I just watched a Bio on Mary Pickford last night and she really had a sad life after her acting was done. She just sat secluded in her house and drank for her last 30 years. I don't think Gary was ever in a movie with her. She was arguably the best silent star of all time.

I don?t think I?ve seen a Cary Grant movie yet that was bad. There are some I enjoy more than others (for some reason I just can?t get into *Only Angels Have Wings* and Jean Arthur is in that one too) but I haven?t seen one yet that I really disliked. Suspicion was good and Cary was very good in it, but I wasn?t real impressed with Joan Fontaine. William Powell is another guy who just made tons of good to great movies. He?s definitely one of my faves. At some point in the not too distant future, I?d like to get the *Thin Man* and *William Powell/Myna Loy* dvd sets. I have most of them recorded, but I?d like to get the actual releases.

Cary and Gary would have both been cool to have as dads. Is it weird to be attracted to one of them but also think he would be a cool dad? We just won?t go there ;) I like one story Maria told of how sometimes he would wake her up in the middle of the night to go look at a meteor shower and stuff like that. Me and my dad love astronomy and we had a little telescope when I was a kid and we?d take it out and look at different stuff and that was always fun. I remember us going outside to see Haley?s comet come by when I was pretty little and that was really neat.

*I just watched a Bio on Mary Pickford last night and she really had a sad life after her acting*

*was done. She just sat secluded in her house and drank for her last 30 years.*

I saw a show about her several months ago on PBS and it was good. I have a couple of her silent films but I just haven?t worked my way around to them yet. I?ll get there eventually . I don?t remember the show I saw focusing much on her life after her career ended. Do you know why she just shut herself up in her house?

That sounds like Clara Bow. Partly because of her schizophrenia she got to where she would have panic attacks if she was out in public starting around the 1940s. She just couldn?t deal with any kind of stress and she lived around her last 15 years shut up in her house too. She didn?t have a drinking problem or anything though. They couldn?t really treat schizophrenia then like they could now so by living in a very controlled, stress-free environment she was able to be happy. Her kids and grandkids would visit and some friends like Gilbert Roland, but she rarely went out anywhere except to Christmas shop every year and occasionally to a drive-in movie with her nurse.

Most moviegoers don't know who directs their favorite films and many of those who post on this board are unaware of directors. I'm clearly in the minority around here, although there's been an awakening in some.

Funny, but my true love for movies had been started from the directors. European mostly (Fellini was a big favorite of mine when I was young), because Hollywood films from the Golden Era was shown on rare occasions and I discovered them to myself only now.

And now I also try to get all movies from my favorite directors. Ford is now on unreacheable top for me. I'm very sorry that he didn't directed Gary. His latest film which I saw was Young Mr.Linkoln, it was released here, so I bought it, but I didn't expect to like it - I thought that biography of Linkold should never interest me. But when I saw it I was totally impressed, Ford was true genios and his black and white films - is pure poetry, can watch them any time. Even my favorite amoung his movies is The Seachers. I have all his films with Duke (I consider myself his big fun too).

Speaking of Curtiz my favorites amoung his films are the ones with Flynn - Captain Blood and Sea Hawk. But of course Casablanka was his swan song indeed.

Lately I enjoy all films directed by Capra and looking for them. The latest one for me was Mr.Smith Goes to Washington - I've heard that it makes a trilogy with Mr.Deeds and John Doe.

I also like films directed by Wyler, Hawks, Billy Wilder as a director and also as a brilliant screenwriter and Walsh. So when I choose the movie I guess I look first who directed it (the only exeption when direction doesn't matter for me to watch the movie is when Gary Cooper or Duke are in it)

And now I also try to get all movies from my favorite directors. Ford is now on unreacheable top for me.

:x :x :x

I'm very sorry that he didn't directed Gary.

Me too. I think it would have been magic.

His latest film which I saw was Young Mr.Linkoln, it was released here, so I bought it, but I didn't expect to like it - I thought that biography of Linkold should never interest me. But when I saw it I was totally impressed,

It's in my Top 5 favorites. I never thought I would be interested in Lincoln period but seeing this movie and then reading a biography of him made me practically fall in love with him. I think Gary would have made a splendid Abe.

Why is it that I feel the glare of Theresa's puppy dog eyes right now?

maybe because im flashing them right in front of your face right now. heehee! im sorry frankie, there is no way to get by them. i guess youre just gonna have to watch it. you cant hide from my puppy dog eyes, they will always be around. heehee!

I don?t think I?ve seen a Cary Grant movie yet that was bad.

hey ang!!

i do love cary and i have lots of his movies. there is one i have seen that i would consider, well "bad" to be frank. okay i wouldnt say it's "bad", but i wouldnt say its good anyway. Suzy wasnt exactly his best movie. he plays a nugnig, pardon the expression. he is just not the nicest character in the world, and im not a fan of jean harlow although her character isnt so bad and i can handle her in it. cary plays an aviator who marries jean harlow and he thinks she is a gold digger, and just everything goes wrong, and he isnt nice. of course you might like it ang, b/c it had jean harlow and it is in 1936, so this is just my opinion. the rest of cary's films i love dearly and am always in the mood to watch them.

Hi Angie,

Thanks for the new clip of Gary and Clara Bow. I really enjoyed it.

I like The Pride of Yankees too. I bought it at e-bay first. But it was lost at the post I guess, so I furst saw it in the parts on Your Tube, but this movie must be watched from the beginning to the end - it deserve it. Now I'm lucky to have that chance.

The only trouble for me is that I have now idea about baseball - what this all about. Simply can't understand what's going on in this game. It must be interesting as it so popular in USA.

MissG,

Exactly, I also decided to get biography of Linkoln after watching this movie!

Gary as Abe? But Henry Fonda was also very good in this part. By the way I've read in some Ford biography that he didn't want to play Linkoln and Ford inspired him to see Linkoln in different way more human. More close to him.

I think it may have been Angie who remembered reading that one day Gary got himself all made up to look like Abe Lincoln but it was a bit of a mystery as to why. At any rate, what I see they have in common, besides their western origins and similar body type is that sweetness and sensitivity. With a little makeup I'm sure he looked the part.

That said, I thought Fonda did amazingly well---he's virtually unrecognizable! And what a difference, say, between that character and his Col Thursby in Fort Apache. Terrific actor.

Fort Apache is one of my favorite movies and by the way I simphatize his character, I mean Col Thursby in it. But all cust is great. Shirley temple is very nice too.

Yes, it's amazing how in some way Fonda/Ford manages to make you understand a character like Col. Thursby. Shirley did some of her best work with Pappy (Wee Willie Winkie is adorable).

*The only trouble for me is that I have now idea about baseball - what this all about. Simply can't* *understand what's going on in this game. It must be interesting as it so popular in USA.*

Well you have to come to the right person b/c I'm a huge baseball fan. I'll send you a PM trying to explain it :).

Shame on me, of course Owen Thursday, I thought that was something wrong with spelling, but being very unsure of myself I always trust others.

I saw a show about her several months ago on PBS and it was good. I have a couple of her silent films but I just haven?t worked my way around to them yet. I?ll get there eventually . I don?t remember the show I saw focusing much on her life after her career ended. Do you know why she just shut herself up in her house?

The show I saw talked about her mother passing away in 1928 followed by her divorce in the mid 30's and then her sister and brother dying young. At the time of her height she was the head of United Artists and did an amazing 248 films. She was also the heighest paid actress. I think she made more in the 20's each year than what anyone was making in the 30's. She sold off her stock of United Artists in the mid 50's and no one heard anything from her until a very old looking Mary was shown on the Academy Awards in 1976 at her home. The story on the program I watched stated that she would have her last husband bring out a tape recording of her voice welcoming people that would come to visit and that is all people would see or in this case hear of her. They showed many scenes from her movies and the one that looked really good was a mother out of wedlock who was not allowed to have her baby baptized in a church going and doing it herself in front of the church and saying her own prayers over the baby. That one looked like it would have been a pretty powerful story.

I had thought that Gary did a movie with her when I heard her voice but that was Mary Brian in Only the Brave as I think they had similar voices.