Sign in to follow this  
Fandango

Any Gary Cooper Fans?

6,669 posts in this topic

*Here are some more Unconquered screencaps. I'm just posting the links so they won't take up too much space.*

Makes more sense that way, imho! ;)

Thank you again for mentioning the paint.net program, it's really a thing of beauty! B-)

dqrfk5.jpg

Here?s one I colorized of Gary and Fay Wray most likely from *Legion of the Condemned* or just a promo shot of them together.

garyandfayaltered.jpg

I really like those Doomsday shots. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the

movie could be cleaned up to look as pristine? It's just about my

favorite of his silents (along with Lilac Time).

Hi all, It looks like Warner Brothers will be releasing 115 classic titles for 20 dollars each starting Monday that are exclusive to their site on dvd-r. Home theater Forum is hosting a live chat with them on Monday but the infomation slipped out a day early. They are all never released movies with a bunch of Clark Gable and Cary Grant movies. No new Gary Cooper movies made this list but the talk is that WB plans on releasing their entire classic movie catalogue this way eventually. I posted my comments on the HTF on line message board with comments to WB to release the remaining Gary Cooper movies they own in the next installment that include The Hanging Tree, Bright leaf, Task Force, Saratoga Trunk, One Sunday Afternoon (if they still own it after purchasing it from Paramount), Today We Live, Operator 13 and Meet John Doe which is public domain but WB could still release their superior prints to all that public domain stuff released over the years.

Original Home theater thread:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/sd-dvd-film-documentary/283916-140-150-warner-classic-exclusives-dvd.html

Classic flix thread on list of movies:

http://www.classicflix.com/warner-opens-floodgates-classics-coming-a-435.html?osCsid=321242fe5e7da839b4551467b8cd7dd5

Hi, CoopfanDan!

The info about the new WHV direct-order releases has already been posted in 2 or 3 threads so far. Not that a reminder could hurt, of course! ;)

>I posted my comments on the HTF on line message board with comments to WB to release the remaining Gary Cooper movies they own in the next installment that include The Hanging Tree, Bright leaf, Task Force, Saratoga Trunk, One Sunday Afternoon (if they still own it after purchasing it from Paramount), Today We Live, Operator 13 and Meet John Doe which is public domain but WB could still release their superior prints to all that public domain stuff released over the years.

Two thumbs up Dan..

Pay no attention to rotor rooter 66...

God Bless you for trying to get films people like you and me love that Gary Cooper made.

I salute you and where do I go to email my protest and get others for Gary Cooper's movies to be released like the Hanging Tree?

Hey, I just said that another reminder couldn't possibly hurt. I think it's a great thing that Dan thought enough of Coop fans to give us a Coop-specific reminder. And I'm certainly glad that he did. ;)

This is only the first wave of titles to be announced. Every month for the rest of the year they will release more and they hope to one day have as much of their entire catalog available as possible. I?m sure we?ll be getting more info about this today when the official press release comes out.

Sony and HP have been working on a similar deal for a little over a year and I hope that eventually comes to fruition as well. Let?s hope they are successful and that Universal/Paramount will follow as they have the majority of titles I want.

Ha! *The Hanging Tree* was the first title I looked for! But yes, they plan to roll out many

other, if not most, of their catalogue and I am so excited. I ordered one title just to see

how it looks and plays (**** TONK). I'll let y'all know if I'm thrilled or not by it. They

are pricey ($19.95 ea) so I hope they are at least better than what we all can get by recording from

TCM.

Thank you, Dan.

I looked for Gary stuff first too :). There are a few I?ll have to look into b/c I?m not familiar with most of what?s listed so far but I?ll probably get some too. The silents look interesting and *Lilac Time* which still needs restoration is also part of their catalog so maybe we?ll see it one day along with *Hanging Tree* which are the two from them I want the most.

At the Home Theater Forum website they are having a chat with Warner execs today so we should get some more info from that. I hope too they will be the best quality available and for the ones that we have recorded off TCM that would be the same print, they won?t have the TCM logo so that?s something ;). I do hope they will come down a little in price eventually to maybe $15 a pop. Still, I?m not complaining b/c this may be the only way we get a lot of these titles.

coopsgirl,

I have to admit, $15 per title seems a much more reasonable price. One can only hope they get a very good response from movie collectors, since high volume should make it easier for them to lower their prices. The only downside I can see here is that titles that are sold directly like this will probably have a much smaller chance of ever receiving a "normal" release, because most of the people who'd be interested will already have bought it. But one can hope....

It seems like they may offer coupon codes and group discounts (25% off was mentioned

if you get 5 or more). They did offer me free shipping and I only ordered one. However,

I was charged sales tax which stinks.

I'm so used to ordering from Amazon that I'd even forgotten about sales tax. As far as I'm concerned, sales tax on online transactions should simply be abolished. However, I guess most states right now could really use the extra revenue, so maybe it's a bit patriotic to pay up, lol.

According to Classicflix, a video promo on the WB site shows Bright Leaf, so that

most likely will be available soon!

Thank you for pointing out that Classicflix has information on these new "on demand DVD" titles, Miss Goddess.

I hadn't realized until now that Classicflix will also be renting every one of these new titles, which will make it a lot easier to watch several of them (versus buying one of each).

One of the people over at HTF did state that when they talked to WB that it was stated all titles would be Original aspect radio (OAR). So if they do release The Hanging Tree in the future it will be the none pan an scan version that was offered on VHS. It was stated at the last WB chat with the members of HTF that The Hanging tree was going to be released with the Gary Cooper box set but it was discovered it needed a full restoration. I'm not sure how WB will handle movies like that for the movies on demand. Since Gary's daughter owns like 80 percent of the movie and WB only owns 20 percent at the time it was not worth it for WB to restore it. Of course that was a few years ago and they may have worked out a deal to get it restored by now. I would buy the hanging tree even if it wasn't restored if it was in the original aspect ratio.

There are not a whole bunch of titles I think I am going to order in this first batch. I am also a big fan of Gable, Grant and Tracy but don't know if I'm that big of fan of Gable's to buy 15 movies of his at 20 dollars a pop. Three films I am going to order this week will be Cary Grant's Crisis 1950 and Room for One More 1952. They are both 4-5 star movies that just may be the rarest of Cary Grant movies yet unreleased. Crisis is a Hitchcock "like" thriller and Room for One More is a family type movie like Father Goose. They both got 5 stars at Imdb by nearly all that saw them so they will be blind buys for me. With these two titles, I will complete everything that he did in the 40's thru 60's and will leave me with just 9 of his 30's titles that I do not own after two of titles are released in the Universial pre-code hollywood collection. The other title I want to get is the Spencer Tracy/Loy picture Mannequin 1937 as I have fond memeries of that picture when TCM aired it a while back. I do really like Clark Gables movies but can not afford them all right now and it would be too hard to choose just a couple from a list of 15. If Test Pilot with Spencer Tracy was in the line up, it would have been ordered this week as well.

I do hope that these do sell well and Universial will follow WB's lead as there is a gold mine of Gary Cooper 30's movies that I would gladly pay 40 dollars a pop to own in pristine condition.

Message was edited by: CoopfanDan

You just made my entire year Miss G with the Bright Leaf post. I might be one of the few Gary Cooper fans that ranks Bright Leaf as one of his top 10 best movies. Actually, I might be the only Gary Cooper fan that ranks it as a top 10 best movie for Coop. I think it is because he is not a real nice person in that one and that is what makes it so much different than all of his other movies.

Message was edited by: CoopfanDan

Hi Dan! I haven't watched *Bright Leaf* in so long I'm not sure where I

would rank it. I remember I did like it.

*Test Pilot* is the Gable movie I'm most anxious for DVD release.

I saw *Mannequin* on the list, and almost go that one instead of

***** Tonk*, but maybe next time. (And BTW, Mannequin's

leading lady is Joan Crawford, not Myrna Loy, in case you

are thinking of some other film---possibly Whipsaw? That one

was Tracy/Loy).

What about Ten North Frederick, Coop experts---I can't remember

what studio that was---any hope?