Sign in to follow this  
Fandango

Any Gary Cooper Fans?

6,669 posts in this topic

Actually, Stanwyck and Cooper were together again in Blowing Wild (1953), but that movie is so forgetable that ... well, I almost forgot it. :) Not that it's bad--in my opinion, the script and the performances were actually quite good. Stanwyck is ultra sexy in it, and I love Cooper and Anthony Quinn in it too. But I think was either an independent film (????) or at least one made on the cheap. Stanwyck was still a star, but was regarded as being more or less past her prime. I am not sure about Coop.

Also, I have read that Stanwyck REALLY wanted to star in The Fountainhead, based on Ayn Rand's novel, with Coop, and was very upset when Patricia Neal got the part instead. I think Stanwyck sort of had an acquaintance with Rand (they both were involved with anti-commie activities in Hollywood). She read the novel, and then went to Rand personally to tell her she wanted to star in the movie version.

"The Fountainhead" with Cooper and the 22 year old Patricia Neal was torrid. His marriage was almost ruined by the affair he had with Patricia Neal. I am a fan of his just for his taste in women. Also for "Pride of the Yankees"....."Vera Cruz".....and of course "High Noon".

Favorite Coop movies:

The Westerner

Saratoga Trunk

For Whom the Bell Tolls

Ball of Fire

Least Favorite Coop Movies:

The Fountainhead

Love In the Afternoon

Geez... What's that old one? Oh, A Farewell to Arms

I love Cooper so I just had to post some of my faves! He could always act as a simpleton all the way to an intelligent professor in Ball of Fire. Not to mention he was one of the most gorgeous images ever caught on screen! ;)

bhf1940

I like "Love in the Afternoon." I also like "Design for Living" from the early Thirties. I saw it double featured with "Trouble in Paradise," and while "Trouble" is the more famous film, I thought it sagged in the middle, but "Design" was a very pleasant surprise.

My favorite Gary Cooper film is "The Wedding Night" despite his hate for Anna Sten whom he referred to as "Anna Stench".

I caught "Sergeant York" last night, and am definately a fan. That's one of my favorite films, and it's pretty much, because of Gary Cooper. I'm not all that familiar with his body of work, but he's great, and that's for damn-sure.

A reminder, offer expires 11/22/06:

Gary Cooper: The Signature Collection (from Turner Entertainment Co. and Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.) includes the following DVDs:

* Sergeant York (1941) - Two-disc Special Edition

* The Fountainhead (1949)

* Dallas (1950)

* Springfield Rifle (1952)

* The Wreck of the Mary Deare (1959)

I have two copies of this set (which went on sale 11/7) that I'll be giving away via a sweepstakes drawing on my website. Enter today for your chance to win @

http://www.classicfilmguide.com/index.php?s=movie_indexA

Good luck!

I really like them together, too. Two top professionals bringing out the best in one another.

Another poster just mentioned BLOWIN' WILD...I have heard of this Barbara Stanwyck movie before but I never had any idea Coop was in it! It's not usually credited as one of her best...have you seen it?

Oh, yes! THE WEDDING NIGHT---that's a gem, never mentioned, like THE REAL GLORY. The latter I suspect is one of those films that if it had been filmed in color would have generated more interest.

I also love THE COWBOY AND THE LADY as well as the similar spin of the story which Duke Wayne did with Jean Arthur, A LADY TAKES A CHANCE.

Could someone tell me about "The Plainsman"? I haven't seen it yet but I'm trying to find a copy on ebay. How did Anthony Quinn do as a Native American?

Oooh...hopefully someone else can help you more than I. I mainly recall how gorgeous Gary looks in buckskins and the humorous byplay between Coop and Jean Arthur (she's my favorite incarnation of "Annie Oakley"). It's a highly entertaining movie that doesn't seem to pretend to be anything but fun (not serious history); can't believe I failed to include it in my list. I actually think in many ways I prefer his teamings with Jean than with Barbara. And that's saying a lot. :)

No, I've never even heard of it until this minute. *lol*

It is certainly not dwelt upon in any of these Cooper books I have hangin' around. I'll have to check my "The Films of Gary Cooper" book though...maybe it will be in there.

Maybe at the back of my mind I was really thinking of Ingrid Bergman, when I said that I'd read they only made two films together....I know I read that about him and SOMEONE, anyway. Could have been Ingrid Bergman instead. Who knows? *lol*

I really like Barbara Stanwyck...but I'm only just getting started in making an effort to catch all of her films. Until this point, I think I've seen only about 15 of her films (plus "The Thorn Birds") ! And so while I like her very much, I am certainly not anyone to ask about her or her films. I have a couple of books about her...but I've not spent any time studying them yet.

Just for fun, in response to your post:

My top 5 favorite Gary Cooper films (this week - could change tomorrow), in no particular order:

Mr. Deeds Goes to Town

Ball of Fire

Meet John Doe

Sergeant York

High Noon

Although I've not seen all of his films yet - I've only seen about 25 or so out of the (almost) 100 he made.

My Least Favorite Gary Cooper films:

A Farewell to Arms - too melodramatic

Morocco - I loved this movie, all the way up to the last 2 minutes. But then glamorous nightclub singer Marlene Dietrich kicked off her heels and, in her formal attire, joined the no-so-merry band of Moroccan goat herder ladies who followed the Legion all over the desert, thus making this the dumbest and most implausible ending EVER.

However, I WILL point out that I'd watch either of these two films again. I mean, young Gary Cooper is pretty yummy! :D

It's very interesting to read other folks' opinions on his films....because I guess there is something for everyone. I mean, I really LIKE Love in the Afternoon (which at least one poster dislikes)...but I was not as crazy about Design for Living (which another poster loves). I do agree that The Real Glory is highly underrated - what a great film that is! And another good one, IMO, is The Lives of a Bengal Lancer.

Sergeant York is great!

Best line of the whole thing was to the commanding officer, when York was asked what the rest of his unit was doing while York was shooting and/or capturing what seemed like the whole German army:

"Well, I don't rightly know. I was purdy busy at the time, and I recon they was too."

Classic!!! *lol*

Next month one of Stanwyck's most daring movies come out on dvd: BABYFACE, and TCM will be airing it (the uncut version, I believe). She's something else in that one! Look for a small scene with a very young John Wayne.

Miss G

Oh wow...I've not seen that film yet.

I have alot of Barbara Stanwyck films to see - I really like her, but have not seen that many of her films.

I've always liked Double Indemnity...but I hadn't seen any of her other films (since becoming a more hardcore classic film fan, anyway), and so I always associated her with only her character in Double Indemnity.

And then I saw Ball of Fire....followed closely by Meet John Doe....and needless to say, my interest in Barbara Stanwyck grew exponentially.

Since then, I've been making an effort to see more of her films. I bumped Cry Wolf to the top of my Errol Flynn pile of unwatched films, for example...just so I could see another Barbara Stanwyck film at the same time! And I rewatched The Two Mrs. Carrolls...a Humphrey Bogart film I'd seen a few years ago, when I wasn't really into classic film in general yet - just into Humphrey Bogart.

And really - she is simply great in every role she plays, IMO.

She was a terrific actress. Did you ever see her in THE THORN BIRDS, the TV miniseries from the 1980s? She was fantastic---as was Jean Simmons.

CRY WOLF and THE TWO MRS. CARROLS are not the greatest movies any of those stars ever did, but it's always interesting to see how different stars work together. She did one with Cagney in the 1950s called THESE WILDER YEARS which is also uneven, but the two of them are a terrific team.

If you get a chance, see her THE LADY EVE and THE MAD MISS MANTON---two she did with Henry Fonda that are quite funny, and CHRISTMAN IN CONNECTICUT with Dennis Morgan, REMEMBER THE NIGHT with Fred MacMurray, and what may just be my favorite of all her movies, MY REPUTATION, with George Brent.

Miss G

Actually, I have seen "My Reputation", and yeah, I liked that one also.

And I saw "The Thorn Birds" too...although that was before I developed this more recent appreciation for her work.

I burned "Christmas in Connecticut" to DVD back in August on her SUTS day...but I was waiting for a more Christmas-y time of year to watch it. I should pull that out now.

I also have "These Wilder Years" burned to DVD somewhere around here...and since I love Cagney, I ought to pull that one out too.

I recorded another of her films yesterday - "Clash By Night", I think it's called. I've not seen it and I don't really know anything about it, but that is sorta how I watch movies anyway so it doesn't matter. I watch the films of actors and actresses I enjoy, regardless of whether they are considered good or bad films, because I like seeing a wide variety of my favorite actor's work.

That is actually how I got into this hobby to begin with. I had no idea of becoming a classic film fan when I started this little endeavor. I just started out loving "Casablanca"...and deciding that since Bogie was so utterly cool, and ultra-famous, I'd take on the 'project' of trying to see all of his films as kind of a personal challenge.

Well, now I'm down to the last 4 or 5 Bogie films (have been for the past 6 months or so - it took me a bit over 2 years to get there)...but along the way, I branched out to other actors and actresses whose performances I enjoyed in various Bogie films, and I started watching THEIR films. And then found other favorite actors in THOSE folk's films.

I should map it out sometime, really - I got hooked on film by going through something sorta like the 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon. *lol* But it all tracks back to Bogie in the end.

Except maybe my silent film favorites (Charlie Chaplin, Rudolph Valentino). I got as far as Garbo silents through the '7 degrees' method. But I made the leap to Chaplin and Valentino on my own because once I decided that silents were fun, I wanted to try others...even though they were unrelated to Garbo.

But everything else eventually leads back to Bogie. *lol*

I love CLASH BY NIGHT, too--because of not only Barbara (how could I forget this one? Watch her dump her ciggie in her coffee cup; that's pure "Stanwyck") but because it has one of my favorite men, Robert Ryan, and my favorite blonde, Marilyn----who's really good in it. Let me know what you think of it.

I have been putting the television on TCM in our communal kitchen at the office lately, and everyone knows it's me that's doing it---and they always ask me how I got into the classics. I honestly can't remember because it's always been there---when I was little I used to argue with my Mother about what we'd watch---her favorite contemporary program or the Jiimmy Stewart movie on another channel. My parents weren't particularrly into them, I just fell in love with them from the first and always preferred them to modern films. Even as a teen, I identified more with the Monroes, Gardners and Stanwycks of the world, than the Julia Roberts or Reese Witherspoons. :)

But your system makes sense to me! I try to see all the films I can of my favorites. It's so wonderful how so many are coming out on dvd now, that did not used to be the case even just five years ago.

Miss G

P.S. I love Bogie too. :)

I haven't seen it in so long I can't recall much, so hopefully if TCM plays it next month I can refresh my memory. :)

Does anyone know if they are playing THE GENERAL DIED AT DAWN? That's another I forgot to mention which is soooo good. Madeleine Carrol is his costar.

I love "Lives of a Bengal Lancer". And although I'm ga-ga over Gary Cooper anyway, I'd enjoy this film regardless, because a) it's a good story, and B) Franchot Tone is fabulous - in fact, he pretty much steals the show in a few places...and that's saying alot, coming from as big a Gary Cooper fan as I am!

I think it's well worth watching - especially if you like action films set in fairly exotic locations.

Yes, I agree with you about the DVDs. Between all of these DVD releases and TCM, it is possible so see so many films - more than a person can even watch, really!

And if you know a big collector or two, you have access to practically anything you want!

For example, after I fell in love with Valentino, I was able to get ahold of a GOOD copy of every film he ever made that is still in existance except one - which no one has access to because it's in an archive up north and not available for copying/distribution.

And it only took me about 4 -5 weeks to assemble all of this!

Now, when you talk to long-time Valentino fans, they tell you stories of waiting YEARS to see a single film...and years after that to see the next...and years after that to see the next. Thank goodness I didn't have to do that! Patience is not my strong suit! :P

It really is amazing!

Wow, that's amazing about the Valentino films. Silents, even from big stars like him, can be tough to find. I really believe we are entering a "golden age" of classics being released to new formats, including dvds, high-def, internet downloads, etc. This is just great news no matter how you look at it. :)