Sign in to follow this  
Fandango

Any Gary Cooper Fans?

6,669 posts in this topic

053.jpg

LOBL.jpg

You're right about Franchot, he makes the film more enjoyable and is one of my favorite actors.

Message was edited by:

metsfan

Only a few days left, all entries must be received by this coming Wednesday (11/22):

Gary Cooper: The Signature Collection (from Turner Entertainment Co. and Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.) includes the following DVDs:

* Sergeant York (1941) - Two-disc Special Edition

* The Fountainhead (1949)

* Dallas (1950)

* Springfield Rifle (1952)

* The Wreck of the Mary Deare (1959)

I have two copies of this set (which went on sale 11/7) that I'll be giving away via a sweepstakes drawing on my website. Enter today for your chance to win @

http://www.classicfilmguide.com/index.php?s=movie_indexA

Good luck!

Has anyone seen the new intro by Gary Coopers's daughter for next month's Star Of The Month? I'm always so glad when I see these bits of personal input from someone who's known or admired a STOM.

Julie (my first post!)

I saw it for the first time today, and I have TCM on almost exclusively. Unfortunately, I can't be more specific as to time. . .

Julie

Julie---thanks for letting us know about the Maria Cooper intro---I'm breathlessly looking forward to seeing it. I do hope a new documentary is featured as a part of the wonderful month of December!

And welcome!

Miss G

Miss G - thanks for your welcome!

I'm a major Coop fan, too - and was so excited to see that he's STOM - FINALLY. I think that he and Walter Brennan are one of the best buddy pairings on film. I think they made at least 4 or 5 movies together, right?

Julie

Hi Julie---Walter Brennan was a marvelous actor and even someone as talented as Gary had to be on his toes when co-starring with him. I bet he learned plenty from the veteran character actor. December is going to be one heady month, and I've been delerious enough with John Ford in November! (I can only wish Ford had gotten Cooper in one of his pictures---he did direct some sequences of Marco Polo but that doesn't really count).

Miss G

Miss G,

The only documentary I've seen on Cooper is the one narrated by Clint Eastwood, but it's been several months since it's been on TCM - maybe even over a year.

It would be great if Maria Cooper could do intros with Robert Osborne before each movie - John Garfield's daughter, and Lana Turner's daughter did this when their parents were STOM. Sigh. One can dream. . .

I think that Walter Brennan always adds to a movie. Love him in To Have And Have Not - that entire bee routine is fantastic. Not that I want this to become a Brennan thread. . .

Julie

I believe Maria is involved in a documentary we discussed earlier in this thread, about Coop's friendship with Ernest Hemingway. It is supposedly due for some kind of release at this time, so I've been hoping TCM might be airing it. It's called "The True Gen". Maria also did a lovely book of photos of her father which I'm happy to have in my library.

P.S. My favorite Walter Brennan roles include those in: The Far Country, My Darling Clementine, Red River, The Westerner, To Have and Have Not and Rio Bravo. He was just great, and won the Oscars to prove it. :)

I guess we can only hope that it'll be scheduled sometime next year, and we'll be treated to another evening of Cooper movies!

I'm always glad to see Bengal Lancer on the schedule - one of my favorite adventure movies. (I wish they'd show Beau Geste!) There are also several Coop movies that are new to me. I think the first Cooper movie that I saw - that I can remember - was The Courtmartial of Billy Mitchell - one of the Sunday movies I watched with my dad when I was a kid.

I'm ashamed to say that I've never seen My Darling Clementine - I've only heard good things about it. I do love Red River!

Julie

I think my first Cooper movies were the Capra films, and his Good Sam. I was little and he didn't make much impression on me (I was a Clark Gable fan---still am :) ) I don't know when it happened exactly---when I truly began to appreciate his skill as an actor and his humanity which comes thru every role. I think FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS and MAN OF THE WEST were what converted me. I had not seen him in quite so complex a mode as he was in these two, and that caused me to take a second look at all his work. It's been a nice journey so far.

As for MY DARLING CLEMENTINE---isn't it grand to know that something truly special is in store for you? It's a masterpiece.

Well, I finally saw PART of Maria's intro for next month. Didn't see the whole thing, but the part I saw (maybe the last 30-40 seconds) was wonderful!!!

It is so cool to have her doing the promo spot! You can really tell how much she loved her dad. I actually got choked up watching it...and I know I didn't even see half of it!

I can't wait to see it again. I hope TiVo catches it as I want to record it to DVD.

I know...I'm *such* a fangirl. *lol*

You know you're a fangirl when the most important thing coming on TCM this month is a promo for next month.

My first Gary Cooper film was "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town".

I fell in love. :D

And "Mr. Deeds" is probably still my favorite...although "Ball of Fire" is REALLY close.

As for his more 'serious' films, I think my favorite is "Sergeant York", although I really like "The Real Glory", and of course, "High Noon" alot too.

Truthfully, I have enjoyed all of his films - or, at least the ones that I've seen.

But I've only seen about 25...so I still have alot to look forward to. I think I counted 4 in December that I haven't seen and don't even have copies of! So I'm excited about that!

I actually just got two others that I'd not seen: "Dallas" and "Springfield Rifle". Those are in the new boxed set. I've not had a chance to watch them yet though.

And a friend has sent me "Bright Leaf", so I'll get to see that soon.

I've not seen "Good Sam". Does that ever come on TCM? I don't know which studio that is....

I think I fell for Coop when he played Lou Gehrig. I started off being a Teresa Wright fan (still am), but boy oh boy . ..

I haven't seen Good Sam either - had to check imdb for the synopsis -- I can't recall that it's been on TCM at all.

I think it must be really tough to limit what she said in that promo to the 3-4 minutes. It wasn't too gushy, it covered both personal and professional life -what more could you want??

Julie

I'm pea-green with envy that you guys have seen the promo and I haven't!! I guess that qualifies me as a "fangirl", too! :) I will definitely be watching and recording TCM tonight as part of their John Ford tribute, so hopefully the Gary Cooper promo will air too.

I know, I'm such a voluptuary---I can never get enough of a good thing, like chocolate and Gary Cooper! ;)

At least Coop is better for our teeth!

To be honest, I never heard the word 'voluptuary' until Paul Newman said it about Liz Taylor. It sounds like something that might be fun to attain.

Well, it's good to hear that the promo is 3-4 minutes! I only saw the last 30 or 40 seconds...and if the rest is as good, it must be a really nice little tribute. I am just so pleased that she did it - I think it really adds a great touch to his SOTM tribute if his daughter participates. Especially since all of his fans know about her lovely book!

Oh, and I liked Pride of the Yankees quite a bit also. There is the usual promo for that on TCM recently as it's coming on sometime in the next few days, I believe.

*sigh*

He made so many good films! And I've got so many more to go - it's great!

I will have to check my sources on some of these films I've not seen yet. I might know of a place I could get Good Sam...and if I can get it there, it will be in very good quality. I know this person has Bluebeard's Eighth Wife, and he says it's a pretty good film! I'm itching to get ahold of that one too!

I will be watching a chunk of the John Ford block tonight as well.

Hopefully it will come on again. I want to see the rest of it!

"Good Sam" in its way is a poor man's "Mr. Deeds Goes To Town." Cooper is Sam and he is always helping other people, usually monetarily which drives his wife, Ann Sheridan, crazy. Because of his good natured philanthropy coupled with usually bad timing they are constantly in debt and struggling. One of those he has helped comes through in the end. (A little "It's A Wonderful Life" thrown in.)

Cooper and Sheridan are fun to watch. It's ok but not great. Stick to "Mr. Deeds." I have a friend who taped it on AMC probably 8 or 9 years ago and I don't recall seeing it listed anywhere since. Good luck finding it.

I'm pretty sure it was AMC that I saw it on. They used to air movies I have never seen anywhere since. Too bad. Good Sam is not a perfect movie, but Leo McCarey is one of my favorite directors because he puts so much heart into his stories and we probably need that now more than ever. That said, I have always preferred Gary in his "steelier" roles.