Sign in to follow this  
Fandango

Any Gary Cooper Fans?

6,669 posts in this topic

Hi Pktrekgirl---If I may jump in---Bluebeard's Eighth Wife was directed by the wonderful Ernst Lubitsch so it has many moments of naughtiness. It's not his finest comedy, but still a delightful excercise in naughtiness. However, one better by Lubistch with Coop is DESIRE (1936), costarring Marlene Dietrich. I say "by Lubisch", though the actual director is Frank Borzage. Lubitsch was all over this film's production and it's hard to say where the one leaves off and the other begins (Borzage enormously admired Lubitsch). Hilariously wicked and recapturing the eroticism of the two in MOROCCO, it's far too forgotten today. (And why isn't it on dvd!! I see Great Britain and Germany are the only countries with taste enough to have it out on disc.)

P.S. I am no baseball fan but PRIDE OF THE YANKEES is one marvelous film start to finish. I always cry at the end. :(

You know, I have not seen "Desire" yet...although I have seen "Morocco", of course.

I was watching R2 because a big Marlene Dietrich set was supposed to come out, and it was supposed to include that film. The release of the set got pushed back and pushed back, however...and in all honesty, I sorta lost track and haven't checked Amazon.uk lately to see if it's been released.

Has it been released, perhaps? Cus if so I will order it right away! I like Marlene Dietrich and was looking forward to that set anyway...but having "Desire" on there, of course, was a huge bonus!

May I ask what is "R2"? I had heard about a Marlene Dietrich collection but haven't seen any updates. The "MD Glamour Collection" is out there and on my "wish list", but it doesn't include DESIRE---I would definitely hold out for the collection that did include it. She was a fascinating foil for Gary.

Miss G

*lol*

Isn't that funny! Because although I love the 'steelier' roles too, he is just so adorable in "Mr Deeds", "Ball of Fire", "Meet John Doe", etc that I simply can't get enough.

Sounds like "Good Sam" is along those lines, so I'll probably love it! :D

You know, now that I think of it, I think part of the reason why I love "Sergeant York" so much is because he's just so ADORABLE in that film! Even in the battle scene he is cute- "Just like shootin' a flock 'o turkeys!" *lol*

R2 means Region 2, which basically means Europe.

The U.S. and Canada is Region 1 (R1), and R1 DVDs will not normally play on R2 DVD players, and visa versa.

However, I have a region-free DVD player so I can buy DVDs from Europe and they will play.

R2 is where the monster-sized Marlene Dietrich set was supposed to come out.

I'm gonna go check on it now, in fact, while it is on my mind.

Here you go:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marlene-Dietrich-Movie-Collection/dp/

B000I2IZI4/sr=1-1/qid=1164127541/ref=pd_bowtega_1/203-0172548-3395169?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

(you need to delete the space before following the link - it was stretching out the screen. This board needs a way to post long links easily)

Still not released yet. Although it looks like it will be soon. Finally.

:) Don't get me wrong---I think he's adorable in those movies too. I just get such a romantic flip for him when he's being a wee bit aloof. I find I react to Cary Grant in much the same way---when he's being grouchy I just swoon! I'm a case!

Miss G

Lol! Thank you for the clarification. I am definitely not tech-savvy. I have been toying with the idea of getting an all-region dvd player---but not for myself, for my Mother (who lives in Germany). That way I can buy dvds from here that are Region 1 and she will still be able to enjoy them. However---the next dvd player I buy for *moi* will not only include a recorder, but will also be all-region. I just wish they would stop that nonsense and make all dvds standard, or at any rate allow every region the same options at the same time. I know, "dream on"!"

Gulp! What a honey that is. Oh I do hope that gets to Region 1, too. It looks sleek and classy, just like its star. Thanks for the link.

Well that's interesting!

I see what you mean though, I think. I actually get quite a kick out of him in "Love in the Afternoon" because at first, his character is still trying to be the playboy. I guess that would count as aloof. Although perhaps not in the same way you mean. :P

Some people don't like that film because they say that he was too old for Audrey Hepburn. But wasn't that the POINT??? *lol*

Can you give me an example of what you mean though? Do you mean aloof in general, or aloof in a romantic situation?

I love this conversation, because it's so interesting that we all love him, but each have some different perspectives.

I guess that's why he was (and is) so popular - something for everyone, I guess! :)

Yeah...pretty nice set, huh?

And it has both Desire and Morocco on it, which is good.

I have Morocco on that mini-set that came out for Marlene last year - the glamour collection or whatever it's called. But that set is full of errors - I had a heck of a time getting that film to play in parts, and actually had to skip a few bits & pieces because the film kept on freezing.

It will be good to have a better (hopefully) copy of that film!

That set is pretty expensive...but I'm gonna spring for it. 18 films is a nice chunk of her filmography!

Hmmm...how can I best put it? We know that Gary is seldom the agressor in his romantic scenes, but sometimes he does "play the game" or for some reason, his character holds back and at first appears not to want to get involved with the leading lady. For instance: in the two movies he did with Ingrid Bergman, he is obviously interested in the girl but for very different reasons holds back from completely giving in to her. In Saratoga Trunk he is a western playboy, a Rhett Butler type who knows what Ingrid's character is up to and he is determined not to be her sucker---which is, of course, what she loves about him (me too). In For Whom the Bell Tolls, it's his more complete understanding of their hopeless situation that keeps him aloof from Ingrid's character. In each case he is not helpless---not so much in "thrall" and therefor more in control. It's his leading lady who is off her head with love. I like it best this way.

LOVE IN THE AFTERNOON is another good example---he knows much better than she how to play the game of love, but in the end it's her very innocence that wins him against his better judgement and beats him at his own game.

In contrast to the roles where the woman is the knowing and more experienced one, I prefer these parts which give him more willpower and complexity. And I'm willing to bet I explained this very badly. Lol! I tend to run on!

I had my reservations about the quality of the transfers in those dvd collections. The Carole Lombard Glamour Collection is also on my wishlist, since it includes a couple of titles that probably won't receive better treatment anywhere else. I can hold out for the Marlene "deluxe" set---do let us know your review of its quality when you get it!

Gary Cooper - only one of the most gorgeous men who ever lived. I have loved him for years in everything.

He and Tyrone Power are my favorites; in fact, I have a candid photo of the two of them arriving with their wives to an event - look at it and you get dizzy. Dazzling. Cooper was one of a kind. A fan? Yes, I'd say I was one!

No...actually that was a very good explanation. I know what you mean perfectly now.

What is great is that he could play both ways equally well. He was great in those roles where he was 'in control' - Love in the Afternoon, For Whom the Bell Tolls and Saratoga Trunk are all very different characters...but there is that strength there - that being in control of the romantic situation, for the most part.

In the Capra films and in films like Sergeant York, he is adorable...but really pretty clueless when it comes to women. And he played those sorts of roles equally well.

In fact, I'm not sure that I can think of an actor who could pull off a role like Professor Bertrum Potts as well as Gary Cooper.

Really.

Try and think of someone who could muster that innocent, adorable little boyishness...and yet remain very much a man who could stand up for himself.

When you think about it...there are precious few folks who could have done it.

It's actually pretty impressive, when you think about the whole range of it.

Absolutely. He was that talented that he could portray both sides of the coin, and make each ring true. And we "fans" aren't the only ones who noticed it---he was one of the most admired actors of his generation. Have you seen The Hanging Tree? That one has been tantalizing me for the last couple of years, ever since I heard good things about it on another classic movie board. It doesn't seem to be available anywhere I know of.

(BTW, I've been enjoying this discussion tremendously, too!)

OK I finally caught about the last 2/3 of the Maria Cooper intro and did I get chillbumps. :) I taped several John Ford movies in the wee hours so hopefully the whole thing is squeezed in there somehow. What a fortunate lady to have him for a "Pop" and for us to have her sharing her memories of him.

Miss G

Miss G --

I think that what hit me was the combination of both love and respect in that spot. I always hear respect in these intros -- but don't always hear the love.

Pktrekgirl -- thought it was interesting that you listed Love in the Afternoon as a movie where Cooper was in control - where to me, it seems anything but! Audrey was an innocent, but she played him using every trick she could get out of her father's files. I really enjoy this movie. The age difference doesn't bother me a bit. I haven't really seen For Who The Bell Tolls, and Saratoga Trunk - yet - to form an opinion on them.

I can't think of anyone else, except maybe Cary Grant, who could pull off the Bertram Potts role, either. It would have been a very different movie if it had been Clark Gable or John Wayne!

Julie

No, I've not seen The Hanging Tree. I've had the same problem as you have - I don't think it's commercially available, and I've not seen it come on TCM.

One of my film collector friends assures me, however, that he has every Gary Cooper talkie ever made. So I will make inquiries. I plan to get copies and watch all of Gary Cooper's films (at least the ones that are not MIA completely - I hear some of the silents are lost. In particular, I hear that Beau Sabreur is a lost film - it is listed in my two lost film guides as being a MAJOR lost film from the 1920's, in fact).

I've not started getting many Gary Cooper films from my film collector friend (who I got alot of Errol Flynn films from) because luckily for us, alot of his talkie films are out on DVD and/or on TCM...and I've not even finished watching THOSE yet! I've come across a couple of his silents (Wings, Nevada and of course, It) and purchased those...but I've not started rooting around in secondary sources for the talkies yet.

But I'm a woman on a mission when I get going on this sort of thing. *lol* So I feel confident that if it's out there, I'll be able to get ahold of a decent quality copy for free or at least for a reasonable cost - without having to resort to eBay, where quality is always iffy.

I think I have about 10 more Gary Cooper films in my possession that I've not watched yet...but I really ought to start poking around to see what I can root up.

Now you guys have me all hyped up about getting ahold of "Bluebeard's Eighth Wife" and "Good Sam", for example. :P

Yay! I'm glad you got to see the Maria Cooper spot! Now it is my turn to be jealous, cus I've only seen the last 30 or 40 seconds.

I recorded some stuff in the past 24 hours though, and so maybe it'll be in one of those recordings. Fingers crossed. Because I actually want to keep a copy of the promo spot. Cus once it's gone after next month, we likely won't see it again. And I think Maria Cooper talking about her dad is a worthwhile thing to have a copy of - even if it's only 3-4 minutes.

And yeah...it's interesting, because with alot of these Hollywood stars, even if I love them, I'm not sure I'd have wanted them as a dad. But you take one look at the cover of Maria's book, and you think to yourself "Okay...now HE would have made a good dad!"

Pktrekgirl -- they do replay those intro spots -- but not frequently. There are some that I haven't heard in YEARS -- I think Burt Reynolds did one on Spencer Tracy (a long time ago). . And the one that Carol Burnett did for Lucy was actually recorded the last time Lucy was STOM.

(yes, I've watched TCM for a long time)

Lucky you to have your own resource for missing Coop pictures. I'd never even heard of Good Sam until Miss G mentioned it.

Well, I see what you mean about "Love in the Afternoon". She did play him some. But what I'm getting at is that in that film, he was not in the slightest clueless about women. He'd been around the block, so to speak, and had done his share of manipulation OF women. The movie was fun because he was finally getting a bit of turnabout, even if he didn't realize it.

This character, in contrast to a character like Bertrum Potts, who had to run upstairs for a cool cloth when Sugarpuss stood in the right light. *lol*

Classic!

And both parts played equally well!

Well, a few months ago I printed off the list of his films from this website and keep track of what I have in my collection...and what films I've seen...on that list.

I do that with about 6 different stars for whom I plan to see all of their films still in existance, if possible.

If I didn't do that, I'm make myself nuts trying to remember all the time which films I have and which ones I need to get for these 6 stars.

Although I'm now done rooting around for Errol Flynn and Rudolph Valentino films - I've found all of those (unless they can't be found because they are classifed as lost). And I'm pretty close on Humphrey Bogart.

Anyway, from my list, I'd heard of "Good Sam". But I'd not tried to find it yet, because I already have a backlog of Gary Cooper films I've not got around to watching yet.

I see what you mean too -- he wasn't clueless about 'worldly women' - and still Audrey ran him through hoops -- while she was playing every worldly women trick in the book!

And yes - I'm not sure who could have done them both so convincingly. I think the only thing I haven't seen Coop in is a film noir?? I'm sure Miss G will set me straight.

Julie