Sign in to follow this  
Fandango

Any Gary Cooper Fans?

6,669 posts in this topic

I know you're an Flynn fan, too - I was always impressed with his role in That Forsyte Woman - because it's so different than most of what he had done. I'm just rivited when that's on.

Julie

I don't know....I have in my 'to be watched' stack a film called "Cloak and Dagger". I have no idea what its about yet. It might be noir-ish though. (???)

I guess I'll eventually find out, however! *lol*

pktrekgirl:

I've kept a list like yours for years. Some of my favorites are:

Gary Cooper - 53 films

James Stewart - 67 films

Spencer Tracy - 50 films

Bogart - 56 films

Henry Fonda - 62 films

John Wayne 117 films

Cary Grant - 61 films (which I think is all but about 3 or 4)

There are some others but these are the most. Mind you this is over 30+ years so I have a bit if an advantage (sort of )

Wow! That is great, movieman!

I'm glad someone else does this besides me. There are just some stars that I absolutely LOVE, and really want to see all of their films, both the good ones and the not-so-good ones. I like seeing the full body of someone's work, don't you?

I think the stars for which I have the greatest percentage complete are Humphrey Bogart and Rudolph Valentino. Of course, Valentino has much fewer films and several of those he *did* make are lost...but I think I have seen all of his films still in existence save 3 (in other words, 16 films). And I have 2 of those in my possession...I just like spacing them out to make them last longer. :P The last is in an archive up north, and is the only copy...so you have to go there to see it. And I've seen all of his shorts still around as well - I'm not counting those in the 16.

I have seen every film that Bogart made except for about 5. And one of those 5 is a lost film, I believe...and another is one he is credited with, but is not really in since all of his scenes were cut out in editing. I think I have a lead on one of the remaining ones...but I haven't found the other two at all.

Then there is a pretty big leap to the next 'group', which would include Errol Flynn (about 30 films seen, but all of them owned) Clark Gable and Gary Cooper (coming in with 25 and 26 films respectively) and Charlie Chaplin...for whom I've seen ALOT of films..but am not sure of the percentage because alot of the early ones on his filmography I haven't researched enough to know if they still exist or not. And several films I've SEEN are not in his filmography for some reason...so I'm wondering if they were retitled later and I just can't match them up. Very confusing filmography...but the bottom line is that I've seen everything from the Mutuals forward...and have seen some Keystone and Essanay stuff on a spotty basis as well.

Then I have Myrna Loy, William Powell, Cary Grant, Spencer Tracy and Olivia deHavilland after that, but they are only in the high teens.

I don't keep track of Bette Davis, however...and I know I've seen tons of her films. I'd estimate that she is in the same group as Flynn, Gable and Cooper, but I've not sat down and counted.

I am a rookie compared with you. You have done an impressive amount of watching there! I know how difficult it is to come by some of these folks' more obscure titles, so your numbers are made even more impressive to me by that fact!

I've only really been seriously watching classic film as a hobby for about 2 1/2 years or so...but doing the 'checklists' is how I got into this (I got into this hobby by accident, after deciding that I wanted to see all of Humphrey Bogart's films and started checking them off a list) and I plan to continue my little 'quests' with other actors.

It's fun to try and find some of these obscure films - when you finally locate a decent copy of some of them, it's like finding treasure! Don't you agreee???? :)

Okay gang! I finally saw the whole Maria Cooper spot! YAY!

What a great piece it is! I'm keeping a copy of it in fact. The shortest DVD in my entire collection! *lol*

I thought she was great...and the piece really does show how much she adored her dad. That, to me, is just wonderful, because this is someone who lived with him and saw first hand all of his faults...and still just adores him.

That makes me really happy! And kinda sad at the same time. What a bummer that she lost him so early. :(

Anyway, great promo!

I mentioned this in an old thread but when I first got into movies one of our local stations ran a Bogart movie every weeknight in February. There were at least 20 movies in 28 days. The funny thing was all the years ago I would sometimes get up at 2am to see something especially if I knew there wouldn't be much of a chance to see it later. This was also before tape so if you didn't catch it when it was on you were out of luck. (No, I didn't walk to school 5 miles in the snow uphill both ways.) This was late 70''s. They helped keep me sane as I didn't have a social life to speak of.

The problem for you will be that many of these older titles will not have been upgraded to show digitally. Many of these films I haven't seen in a very long time. My movie watching over the last decade or so was curtailed by a wife and kids and (until TCM) not a lot that I hadn't already seen. I study the schedule for new ones though.

January will be for me like December is for you. Jean Arthur is January's Star of the Month. I found her late in my history but saw about everthing that was available. That all changes. There must be a dozen or so coming that I've never seen. It will be fun.

*lol*

You sound like a friend of mine. When the December schedule came out, I was all excited about Gary Cooper being SOTM, but my friend was bummed because there was only 1 film in December that he didn't have in his collection.

But that all changed when the January schedule came out. He has 44 titles he needs to record and burn in January, and he is beyond thrilled, because he has been collecting films for decades and there is usually not much each month that he needs to burn - usually 10 films or so during an entire month. Oftentimes less.

So I guess there is something for everyone! If you don't like what's playing this month, just wait until next month! :D

I'm glad you (and my friend) are looking forward to January. I am too, of course - and I'll burn all of those 44 films also (plus a few others, no doubt!) as I really like Jean Arthur. But yeah, I'm pretty excited about December. I think there are about 5 Gary Cooper films being shown in December that I've not seen yet. So I am very pleased!

I love Gary Cooper, one of my favorite actors. As you might have guessed, my handle is named after his best and most underrated, Peter Ibbetson. In addition to Peter Ibbetson, some of my other Coop faves include Beau Geste, Lives of a Bengal Lancer, The General Died At Dawn, Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, Design for Living, The Plainsman, Morocco and Bluebeard's Eighth Wife.

Too bad the only time he appeared with my favorite female actress Carole Lombard was in the wretched Shirley Temple vehicle Now and Forever. Talk about a career waster!

Good username! At least for this thread, anyway!

I really love Peter Ibbetson, and agree it's underrated. It's such a unique kind of story - I can't recall ever seeing a similar plot before. Both Coop and Ann Harding do a great job, IMO, as well. Not much to complain about with that film!

However, it's so very SAD though! Total tear jerker. If you need a good cry, watch that movie and A Farewell to Arms back to back and that's all you need. *lol*

I've never seen Now and Forever, although I have seen stills from the film, of course. I suppose I'll see it eventually, but it's a ways down my list at the moment as I'm usually not a big fan of 'Cute Kid Films'.

If you've seen "It" and "Nevada" then you are ahead of me in that department. I haven't even seen "Wings" except for his brief but astonishing entrance. I could rewind that scene alone over and over again. :o)

A friend of mine just returned from a trip to Dubai and she said on the plane and in the hotels there, the Arabs just adore old Hollywood movie stars. They have priceless looking photographs hanging everywhere and always play the movies in flight. I think maybe I'm moving there. ;o)

Hi Julie---Coop never did anything that could be called "noir" by purists---the closest he came was his last film, somewhat disappointing, THE NAKED EDGE. It wasn't noirish in the way it was photographed but if it had been filmed 15 years earlier in black and white the subject matter would fit the bill. It's sad he passed away too young, really, to explore more complex roles which he seemed to be inching toward. People would probably have more respect now for him as an actor had he lived long enough. It's the same with Gable---he showed us how deep an actor he really was in THE MISFITS, only to pass away.

Hi Julie---Greer Garson had nothing but praise for Flynn's acting talents after working with him in THAT FORSYTHE WOMAN. She said she also discovered he was far, far more than what he appeared to be on the surface.

Cloak and Dagger is a WWII spy thriller, not a noir but an exciting film nonetheless. I think Lilli Palmer is an excellent actress. He seemed to work very well with those European ladies! :)

That's great! And you have it recorded on dvd, how marvelous. I still have not seen the whole thing and I'm burning to.

I love Peter Ibbetson! I even fell in love with the book after seeing the movie. It's such a lovely fairytale, so deeply romantic in storyline and the way it is presented and photographed. I cannot see any other actor as Peter except Gary.

Miss G

Well, actually, I've not watched Nevada yet. I located a copy of it on DVD and purchased it, but I've not watched it yet.

In truth, I think I still have about 9 or 10 Gary Cooper films in my possession that I've not watched yet. I'm slowly working my way through them...but it takes time. Alot of the Gary Cooper films I've not seen are westerns, and there are only so many westerns I can watch - I like to vary them with other stuff.

What I really need to do is get ahold of "Lilac Time" - I know that silent is out there, and I really want to see it - not only for Coop, but for Colleen Moore as well.

It's really sad how many outstanding actors died so young. Gary was only 61 and he could have done alot more interesting stufff had he lived. But wow - he's not the only one. Clark Gable, Humphrey Bogart, Errol Flynn, Montgomery Clift, John Garfield...not to mention some of the silent stars like Rudolph Valentino and John Gilbert...

It's kinda sad to think about all the good stuff that MIGHT have been if these guys had lived longer.

It is sad. I find it particularly poignant that Gable died before he could even lay eyes on his son. Having missed being a real father to his daughter with Loretta Young, he was especially looking forward this child.

Watching the Edward R. Murrow interview with Humphrey Bogart and family, I was reminded that this was done in 1955, and in barely two years he would be gone.

On a happier note, several comedy icons lived to be quite old: George Burns, Bob Hope and Hal Roach come to mind.

Miss G

I agree that he was the perfect actor for that role. Peter Ibbetson is a fairly melodramatic film anyway...especially the last half. And Gary's understated acting style was exactly what was needed. Overacting, in that film, would have been disasterous. It could easily have turned that film into the cheesiest thing ever. Luckily, that wasn't the case.

Peter Ibbetson is one of the many Coop pictures I haven't seen yet. It's on so many people's must see list, that I have to add it to mine, too.

Not Cooper related - but I have a special place in my heart for John Garfield - we share a birthday - his nickname was Julie!

Julie

Peter Ibbetson has a dreamy romantic quality to it; a real fairy tale and quite different from Gary's other movies.

I like John Garfield, too. One of his lesser known films, NOBODY LIVES FOREVER, is a favorite of mine, along with Humoresque, Body & Soul and Force of Evil.

Miss G

I was suprised to see (via IMDB) that the story came from a novel by George Du Maurier - Daphne's grandfather. Do you think it was a good translation from book to film?

Julie