Sign in to follow this  
Fandango

Any Gary Cooper Fans?

6,669 posts in this topic

I'd like to see that one too. I don't recall it ever being shown...

And MissGoddess, thanks for the photos. I love that color one - I might be able to use that in one of my PhotoShop projects.

I've made some icons lately for Gary and have been using them on LJ. I need to make another desktop though. I've not made another one since that one I sent you.

The movie is quite faithful to the book, as I remember---capturing the mood and dreamy atmosphere. The story idea bears a slight similarity to the later film, SOMEWHERE IN TIME.

You know, I had completely forgotten about that one---I've read the O'Hara novel but I've never seen this movie version. TCM: We hope you're reading this!!

How do you use an "icon" or install it? I don't know if I can do it with my office computer but I'd love to have a little Gary Cooper icon on my laptop. LOL! And I don't think I even know what it is! :)

WOW -- what a nice selection of pics. I do like the one from the Fountainhead.

I can only hope that the December screensaver has a Gary Cooper picture -- the one I'm using now has William Holden. . which still brings a smile to my face.

MissGoddess -

Okay...maybe I'm a bit confused because I get alot of requests.

Didn't I send you a desktop of Gary already?

And icons are different from desktops. Desktops take up your whole screen when you close all of your windows.

Icons are used on alot of bulletin boards on the internet and on Live Journal and are small pictures that accompany posts.

Here is a link to my graphics journal at Live Journal:

http://charlie-bowtie.livejournal.com/

You can see the difference betwen icons and desktops there.

There is a Gary Cooper desktop that I made about a month ago about halfway down the first page (as I type this - in future, it will fall off the first page as I post more stuff to the journal). I thought I sent this to you...but maybe it was someone else????

Yes, I did get the desktop---I just didn't know what an "icon" was. So it's like a "signature picture", for instance? I've never seen anything like that "Live Journal"---is that just a platform for posting images in a daily journal format? As you can tell, I'm very "low tech", Lol! Anyway, those are beautiful pictures you have on there.

Live Journal is a blog site.

I have two blogs. One is my personal journal, in which I chat about real life, do film reviews and scifi TV show reviews. That one is a "Friends Only" journal, which means the only way you can see is is if you create an account on Live Journal and I make your account a 'friend' of my personal journal account. JonParker can see that journal because we have 'friended' each other on Live Journal. But that is the only way you can see it.

My other blog is a graphics blog, where I post my PhotoShop projects. That is the one I linked to - it's called Charlie Bowtie, after Errol Flynn. That one is a public journal and so anyone can see it. I use it mainly to keep track of my own progress as I am teaching myself how to do all of this graphics stuff. But I show it to some people - especially if they might want a copy of something I've done.

So Live Journal is not really a dedicated platform for posting images or anything. It's really just a place to keep a blog. But alot of people who use Live Journal for their regular blogs ALSO have a graphics journal or an icon journal. Some folks have writing journals, where they post stories they have written, etc. You can really do anything you like.

But it's not a place like PhotoBucket or anything...

And thanks for the kind remark about my work. The whole reason I started learning how to use PhotoShop was because I thought there was a real lack of interesting graphics out there for classic film stars. Alot of the desktops at places like Reel Classics are...well....kinda lame, IMO. And so I decided to learn how to make stuff myself.

I do some stuff for scifi TV shows and the TV show Prison Break...but other than that, all of my projects are related to classic film actors & actresses. :)

Maybe someday if I ever get good, I will start a website or something, because I think that classic film fans really would like nice desktops, icons and such.

Oh, and by the way, thanks for posting all of these new photos!!!

I am gonna take copies of all of them. I am always looking for nice clear photos of Gary so that I can do more projects.

Lemme tell you...there are alot less interesting hobbies out there than spending your time messing around with photos of Gary Cooper!

Ya know what I mean? *lol*

I think you already do great work so if that website ever materializes, I want to hear about it!

I am writing a couple of screenplays and have been toying with the idea of possibly filming one digitally (as a short subject to begin with) and putting it up on something like Youtube.com I haven't even begun to investigate the process but it's amazing what different outlets for creative artists there are on the web, especially for those who specialize in "niche" areas, such as classically inspired film.

I have to start by replacing my current laptop with a decent desktop at home. I don't know if I want to get another notebook computer since I really don't take it with me when I travel.

Miss G

> Lemme tell you...there are alot less interesting

> hobbies out there than spending your time messing

> around with photos of Gary Cooper!

>

> Ya know what I mean? *lol*

Ha ha! I'm afraid I'm going to get fired one day for this---but I have a great deal of freedom at the moment in my work so the temptation to hunt for Gary Cooper is just too much!

:)

> I am writing a couple of screenplays and have been

> toying with the idea of possibly filming one

> digitally (as a short subject to begin with) and

> putting it up on something like Youtube.com

Interesting! Would be interested in hearing more about that.

Hope the day job you're getting through by posting pics of Coop isn't too mind-numbingly dull (like mine is). ;)

Well thanks! I appreciate the complement! :)

Some of these color photos will probably come in very handy - I love the Norman Rockwell one especially ! I'd never seen that one before! And I love that one that looks kinda like a drawing as well, rather than a photo. I could do alot with that one!!!!

But any time you run across some good CLEAR photos of Gary, I'm always up for getting ahold of them. Especially if they are of decent size, so that I can use 'em for desktops.

I DO feel another Gary Cooper desktop coming on! *lol* Especially since it's almost Gary Cooper Month.

I'm in the middle of a desktop for Chaplin right now...but once I finish that one, I'm gonna do another one for Gary. And if I can find good color photos, so much the better because there is alot more you can do with those!

That's great that you write screenplays. It's always interesting to find out what other people do for their creative pursuits! YouTube seems to be a popular place to post stuff like that, too!

Thank you for your interest. I began writing when I first moved to L.A. 10 years ago---I have moved around a good deal since and so I stopped for a while. About two years ago I took up my pen again in earnest and it's been such a pleasure. I don't say I am very disciplined but I am in no rush. Whether anything ever develops from it, que sera, sera. :)

I work with really wonderful people so that keeps my job from being dull, thank heavens!

Miss G

Ah yes! I've not been to that website before, but I have seen colorization done on numerous occasions.

I'm too lazy to mess around with it myself at this point - colorization takes alot of detailed work and sometimes the finished product doesn't look right. But I looked through the photos on that page, and alot of them are pretty decent! I have that photo of Gary Cooper in B&W. It might be interesting to try and do something with it in color!

And some of those other ones are really good. I love the one of Myrna Loy!!! I've been meaning to do an icon of her. That might just be the photo to use for it!

I love the one of Myrna, too. Just lovely. The one of Veronica Lake looks almost as if it really was in color.