Sign in to follow this  
Fandango

Any Gary Cooper Fans?

6,669 posts in this topic

> Meet John Doe (1941)

> Sergeant York (1941)

> Ball of Fire (1941)

Coop sure had a good 1941, didn't he? An adorable comedy with Stanwyck, a definitive Capra drama with Stanwyck, and Sergeant York, which I think is one of the best movies I've ever seen ... :)

It's not a very gallant nickname, is it? But I'm sure it referred to nothing more personal than her acting....

;)

Yeah, 1941 was certainly his year. In fact, the whole early 40's in general were pretty good!

All three of the films from 1941 are in my top half dozen Gary Cooper pictures. At least at this point...

I just edited my list to include my personal "ratings". It looks like 1935 thru 1945 and 1952 thru 1959 are the years containing the majority of my favorites by him.

Miss G

Hey, thanks for the ratings!

I'll have to do my ratings and then we can compare notes!

Oh...and I got "Bluebeard's Eighth Wife" in the mail yesterday! Woohoo! I'll be taking it on my trip!

> Oh...and I got "Bluebeard's Eighth Wife" in the mail

> yesterday! Woohoo! I'll be taking it on my trip!

Do you have one of those cute little portable dvd players? I love those and am thinking about getting one for my Mom.

Miss G

Yes. I do. I travel alot internationally, and it really helps sometimes to take an evening and hole up in one's hotel room to just luxuriate in the joy that is ENGLISH.

I've spent about 9 weeks in Japan over the past year...and while I LOVE that country, sometimes it's nice to spend an evening with a film on my little DVD player.

If it wasn't for that, I'd probably come home speaking broken English myself! *lol*

I am now about to leave on a month-long international trip to Belgium, Germany and Italy...and so I'll be 'missing' most of Gary Cooper month (although I'll have it on TiVo when I get back, unless there are power outages and such). So...my plan is to take some of his films with me on DVD...and watch a few of them in lieu of TCM.

Why couldn't they send me to Europe in October, when I just HATED the TCM schedule???? *lol*

I would love to have a job that allows me to travel. As it is, I'm very fortunate if I can get to Europe twice a year (my family live in Germany). That's great that you can take Gary with you! I want one of those when I really start travelling, because you're right: when you are away for a long time you long for TCM or some great old Hollywood movie in their own voices and language :)

Miss G

I like Gary Cooper a lot but this "For Whom the Bell Tolls" is a very boring movie. It looks like a stage play they could have filmed in a phone booth, with all the fake rocks surrounding the actors. It's just talk, talk, talk, talk, about horses, bridges, the war, more horses, women, more bridges, more women, blah, blah, blah, all in the area of a phone booth.

We are already one hour into the movie and all they've been talking about is horses, bridges, women, horses, the war, women, horses.... all filmed on 2 square feet of sound stage.

Wow! Those are some divine pictures of the man, thank you for posting the link! I still think he is the handsomest he-creature I ever have seen. :)

He really is.

I'm glad you liked the photos!

And I would have to agree with everyone on "Whom the bell tolls". It is a rather boring movie, but I liked the ending...

I found it amusing that "Pilar" looks a lot like Dean Martin *strokes imaginary beard* hmmm...

http://club.telepolis.com/peliculero/1943/paxinoukatina43.jpg

http://www.filmreference.com/images/sjff_03_img1208.jpg

Oh well...maybe it's just me...

Lol! Interesting observation about Paxinou/Martin...I can see it a little.

I actually like FWTBT, in a mild way, simply for Gary who I think is superb (in color!) and for Paxinou who really livens things up. Some of the "Spanish" characters are kind of funny, too. However, it is draggily directed.

Miss G

If anyone's ever cared to know the most famous song that mentions Gary, here are the lyrics:

Puttin' on the Ritz (Irving Berlin)

If you're blue and you don't know where to go to

why don't you go where fashion sits,

Puttin' on the ritz.

Different types who wear a day coat, pants with stripes

and cutaway coat, perfect fits,

Puttin' on the ritz.

Dressed up like a million dollar trouper

Trying hard to look like Gary Cooper (super duper)

Come let's mix where Rockefellers walk with sticks

or "umberellas" in their mitts,

Puttin' on the ritz.

Have you seen the well-to-do up and down Park Avenue

On that famous thoroughfare with their noses in the air

High hats and Arrow collars white spats and lots of dollars

Spending every dime for a wonderful time

If you're blue and you don't know where to go to

why don't you go where fashion sits,

Puttin' on the ritz.

I found this out about 2 months ago (Puttin' on the Ritz lyrics) and I've been playing the song every day since...

Though they took the Gary Cooper version away, I still think you'll like this Miss ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX12fJOd6H8

(They had previously ran a photo of Gary across the screen when the guy said "Tryin' hard to look like Gary Cooper")

Anyways...thanks for the photos!

I absolutely adore the shirtless one, it's one of my favorites. But I hadn't ever seen the other...*swoons*

Here are a couple more ;)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

My favorite:

This man did NOT look 60.

He kept his shape up well into his later years and it's quite amazing with the food he ate!

"His appetite was prodigious, but no matter how much he ate, he always remained thin. During his early years in Hollywood, working odd jobs and living with his parents, he said, he said with some comic exaggeration, that his "starvation diet at the time ran to no less than a dozen eggs a day, a couple of loaves of bread, a platter of bacon, and just enough pork chops between meals to keep me going until I got home for supper." His specialty on hunting trips was gargantuan: wild duck covered with bacon strips, enhanced by four eggs and steak. He could eat a cherry pie and drink a quart of milk for lunch."

-IMDB

I just loved the photos! His physique actually got better as he aged. ;)

That video clip was such fun---I love that version of the song! Thank you for posting the link.

I just never get tired of looking at him. He really was like "catnip to the ladies"!

Miss G

He looks superb and I've always been partial to his appearance from the mid 1940s to late fifties, when he took on extra ruggedness in his features. That's why I totally believe Audrey Hepburn could fall madly in love with him in Love in the Afternoon....

I know one other man who is like that with the eating....he is very slender but eats shovels full of food several times a day! I'd love to have a metabolism like that!

Miss G

Oh, I know!

Most men who get older really show their age as time progresses, but *sigh* this man was just beautiful all the way around.

I knew you'd like the video, but I just wish they hadn't deleted the better version...

Have you seen his "American Legend" feature located in the special features section in "Sergeant York"?

That was just absolutely amazing...and to show how well he aged through the years was just incredible.

Hi,

It's been a while since I've seen that documentary, if it's the same one TCM showed in the past. I hope they bring it on because I don't yet have the latest Gary Cooper dvd collection.

I want to ask you this because I know you have gazoodles of pix of Gary on your site. I have as my desktop wallpaper an image/still from The Fountainhead which I would like to have as a print. It is a shot of him seated at a window holding a drawing of a skyscraper, with the words "NOT BUILT" scrawled across the drawing. He's in profile and shown from waist up. My boss loves this image and wants a framed print.

I can't figure out where I found the image---I've searched the internet without success. I don't know how to find the "source" information either, since I never saved the image, only selected as "background". If you have this picture would you let me know?

Thanks much. :)

Miss G