Sign in to follow this  
coolrob1955

Favorite Gay Actor

102 posts in this topic

This thread reminds me of a very good book I read a couple of years ago - SCREENED OUT by Richard Barrios. It's not about who is or isn't gay, but it does a great job of discussing homosexual imagery in films from the teens through the sixties. He's an informed and entertaining writer. I highly recommend both SCREENED OUT and his first book, A SONG IN THE DARK about the birth of movie musicals.

Maybe someone could help me out. A few months ago, I saw The Celluloid Closet on the Logo channel and they showed a clip of a black and white movie where a man and a woman were dancing and then another man tapped the woman on the shoulder. The couple parted and expected the man to dance with her, but instead the man danced with other man! What movie is this from?

And my favorite gay actor, hands down, would be Anthony Perkins. I loved him in The Actress, The Matchmaker, Catch-22, Murder on the Orient Express and of course, Psycho. It's a shame he was so good at acting like a crazy nut because that's how he became typecast.

That's it! The trivia section describes that scene perfectly! Thanks traceyk65!

And according to the company credits, TCM owns this. I'd love to see this one day.

Anthony Perkins. Sadly he never really took off as an actor besides being in Psycho since he was SO convincing in the role of Norman Bates that people didn't want to see him as any other character. I really do believe his role in Psycho is one of the best acting performances ever on screen. And hey, he shares my birthday!

Yeah, what she said.

I don't know who my favorite gay actor is, for the simple reason that so many have been forced to stay in the closet over the years that I don't know who is gay.

Favorite male: Clifton Webb, Monty Clift (except in Suddenly Last Summer)

Favorite female: Judith Anderson. Agnes Moorehead, the other usual suspect, is just too shrewish for my taste (though I did like her in The Magnificent Ambersons)

Message was edited by:

pintorini

boy, this thread... what a read.

i can't believe no one has mentioned gary cooper. i'm new to this, and after hearing he was (i say probably) gay... well, i thought he was a good actor. after watching for whom the bell tolls and saratoga trunk, i thought he was an outstanding actor....!

did i hear someone mention gene kelly? was he rumored gay? i don't think so, but i've heard some others talk about this. oh, how tongues idly wag.

"did i hear someone mention gene kelly? was he rumored gay? i don't think so, but i've heard some others talk about this."

Gene Kelly was not gay. I don't even know of any rumors regarding his being gay.

I don't know if I would call any of them gay, like Kelly, etc. It was Hollywood! Most all the men slept with other men in their youth. I even heard a story about Clark Gable and George Cukor. But, I don't think of Clark as being gay. It was just like in the 70's, men slept with other men because it was cool, happenin', the THING to do. You did it because you were sophisticated and worldly. Most of them eventually got married and had families. I don't think they were necessarily gay. Some of them might have been bisexual, but when I hear about a liaison between two men from HOLLYWOOD, I usually take it with a grain of salt, unless it was Rock Hudson, who admitted publicly that he was gay. Even now, men experiment with other men and women with other women, but they aren't necessarily gay. Just like many people I know still smoke Mary Jane, but they are not drug addicts or even habitual users. I know many people who only go to church on Easter and Christmas, but I wouldn't necessarily call them sinners, you know what I mean?

> I don't know if I would call any of them gay, like

> Kelly, etc. It was Hollywood! Most all the men

> slept with other men in their youth. I even heard a

> story about Clark Gable and George Cukor. But, I

> don't think of Clark as being gay. It was just like

> in the 70's, men slept with other men because it was

> cool, happenin', the THING to do. You did it because

> you were sophisticated and worldly. Most of them

> eventually got married and had families. I don't

> think they were necessarily gay. Some of them might

> have been bisexual, but when I hear about a liaison

> between two men from HOLLYWOOD, I usually take it

> with a grain of salt, unless it was Rock Hudson, who

> admitted publicly that he was gay. Even now, men

> experiment with other men and women with other women,

> but they aren't necessarily gay. Just like many

> people I know still smoke Mary Jane, but they are not

> drug addicts or even habitual users. I know many

> people who only go to church on Easter and Christmas,

> but I wouldn't necessarily call them sinners, you

> know what I mean?

The story that I heard about Gable was that he " serviced " William Haines ". Haines was a great friend of Cukor's and that ( allegedly ) was the reason the Cukor was fired from GWTW. He ( Cukor ) knew too much on what Gable did to get ahead.

I agree about the casting couch.

I can't agree, though, that male homosexual behavior was in any way trendy in 30's Hollywood, or that most young male stars slept with other men. All I have to go on is what I've read, of course, but it strikes me that it was extremely dangerous and career-destroying for a male to be perceived as homosexual (called "degenerate" then) or effeminate. As to women, there may have been a certain chic to same-sex behavior in some small Hollywood circles, but even so, I don't think the 30's was comparable to any time period post-60's in terms of its tolerance.

Just my $0.02.

Well, you may be right, too, pintorini. But, all I have to go on is what I have read, as well. So, I suppose it is a moot point. I was just commenting on the thread. And, two cents, is two cents, right?

Shame this world loves 'labels' - gay, lesbian, bi-sexual. Frankly, my contention is we ALL are born bi, otherwise how in hell can Man feel about WOMEN. Just consider: every animal is bi, As for actors partaking with one of same gender to further their career > so what, the bucks they got far exceeded a regular job.

So there!

I don't think of myself as a prude or narrow minded. But engaging in sexual activity to enhance your career opportunities is a little much. It also makes you susceptible to blackmail. Show Biz folk and Politicians are especially vulnerable to that.

*shrieks* um, are you saying i'm bi?!

it's all in fun, eh? everyone has a label at one point in their life... gay, lesbian, bi... if you must label me, friend; label me straight. i don't speak for anyone else, just myself.

Well Leo, here's a litmus test for your "labels" theory, borrowed from GarboManiac's last post on the "Hail to O'Hara" thread. Women: if this doesn't do anything for you, you are probably "straight." Likewise, men, if this doesn't stir you, you are probably "gay."

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Disclaimer: The above is intended as humor. The poster has been working on a very boring project at work for the past 72 consecutive hours, and apologizes if 'em's sense of humor may be slightly warped at this point.

My favorite gay actor would have to be Rock Hudson because he was so amazing in all of those Doris Day film's and I just love his acting in every one and he was also a very talented actor.