Sign in to follow this  
rich

Favorite War Movies

119 posts in this topic

My favorite war movie was "Hamburger Hill", since for me it portrayed real life scenes from the Vietnam War, as I was there with the 101st Airborne Division and as we used to say in Nam, "Aint No Big Thing" and also my other favorites were Sgt. York, with the great Gary Cooper and his superior cast, Operation Burma, with Errol Flynn, Rodgers Rangers and 60 Seconds Over Tokyo, with number #1 Spencer Tracey, Sands of Iwo Jima, with the great John "Duke" Wayne, Patton, with the one & only George C. Scott, along with the many other TMC movie fan favorites. Thanks TMC for being the greatest entertainment channel of all times on the air and hopefully well into the future times ahead. Viva Ted Turner for all of the movie treasures that he has been able to save and show to us every day and I only hope someday I can personally thank him, which I believe many other fans share in my feelings with in the same way.

Here are my top five all time great war films in order according to their years of release, but not necessarily the order I'd put them in:

The Great Escape (1963)

Von Ryan's Express (1965)

The Dirty Dozen (1967)

Where Eagles Dare (1968)

Patton (1970)

Bill

I also like the first half of Full Metal Jacket (1987) due to the performance of

R. Lee Ermey (Gunnery Sergeant Hartman) for his brashness & insensitivity.

The second half of the film always seemed like an entirely different movie to me. Not to say it's bad or not entertaining mind you. It just takes on another direction into the battle portion whereas the first focused on the basic training aspect.

Bill

That's "Objective Burma!" with Errol Flynn and "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo" with Spencer Tracy. I was able to attend a couple of the Doolittle Raiders reunions and met The General and many the surviving bomber crews and I have their autographs in my copy of Lt. Lawson's book.

Guadalcanel Diary (Preston Foster)

A Walk in the Sun (Dana Andrews)

Battleground (William Bendix)

Hell to Eternity (Jeffery Hunter)

Attack(Jack Palance) and many ,many more....

vallo

I like old planes so I especially like Howard Hawks' "AIR FORCE".

"ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT" Still the best anti-war film. Who cares about pride and uniforms and boundaries etc etc when your immediate problem is the 10,000 or so guys in front of you who are trying as hard as they can to kill you.

"THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES" Returning veterans having to face the reality of new battles at home.

I would have to say:

The Great Escape

The Young Lions

Halls of Montezuma

Take the High Road

Men in War

These are my favorite war films.

The Best Years Of Our Lives,some many wonderful actors/actress in this movie. Plus the storyline is good.

When we had this category once before I chose the sprawling WWII drama

"The Victors" (1963).

Since then, the movie "Saving Private Ryan" (1998) has peaked my interest although I'll stick with "The Victors".

In addition to "Pvt. Ryan" I also highly rate "Bridge On The River Kwai". A smaller but pretty good picture is "Pork Chop Hill" with Gregory Peck.

In no particular order, "All Quiet on the Western Front", "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo", and "Das Boot".

My favorite is "The Great Escape".

My husband is a war movie FREAK, his very favorite is one we never call by it's actual name; instead we refer to it as "Gavabutu"- or however it's spelled. It is, of course, "In Harm's Way".

Shelly

So Proudly We Hail

Thirty Seconds over Tokyo

Best Years of Our Lives

and so many more like these...

No particular order, NONE of the newer films can hold a candle to these wonderful films

Sorry but William Bendix wasn't in Battleground. I do like your list. Attack is a favorite of mine. Despite an inevitable over-fondness for the dramatic values of combat and savagery of men at arms,by director Aldrich, it is a powerful, honest attempt to de-mythologize war. Excellent acting by all but Albert, as the cowardly Captain, is one of his roles.

So glad to see TCM is showing 'Hope And Glory' Wednesday, April 19,2006 10:00 PM. The "Adventure" of war as seen through the eyes of a nine year old boy living in London during the Blitz. One of my favorite war movies, mainly because my Mother was a kid during WW2 and would often tell us stories about the German bombing raids and about her older brother who was in the Royal Navy and was reported as missing when his ship was torpedoed in the Pacific. Fortunately he showed up a few months later in a hospital in the Phillipines. This is a war movie from a different perspective. Ian Bannan as the grandfather and his annual salute to all his old girlfriends is hilarious.

Presteign,

Have you watched the series "Danger UXB"?

A thirteen part series about bomb disposal during the "blitz" interesting? Yes. I watched the "Masterpiece Theater" broadcast in the 1970's. "Danger UXB" was one of the first things I rented after I signed up with Netflix. The series is even better produced than I had remembered. Tied with "I, Claudius" as the best series to ever cross "the pond" (my opinion).

Presteign...thank you for mentioning "Hope And Glory". Thank you for sharing some of your family history.

Rusty

A great Movie. I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

'"I'm seventy-three years old. I've seen half the wonders of the world and I never laid eyes on a finer sight than the curve of Betty Browning's breasts".

Grandpa George - Hope and Glory

I'll drink to that ! ! !

Regards

I saw Danger UXB on PBS when it first came out. I haven't seen it since but it left quite an impressions on me. I still remember how tense it was watching the men trying to diffuse the bombs. They had no illusions that about their survival. The risk they took, the effect the nature of the job had on them and their family was vivid.

It is an extraordinary production. I may have to join Netflix in order to see it again. Along with "The Jewel In The Crown" it is the most memorable Masterpiece Theatre production I've seen. (I,Claudius I have yet to see.)

Good choice.

jarhfive

Thanks, and yes I did see 'Danger UXB'. A good show.

By the way even though 'Hope And Glory' is about a kid, it is by no means a kids movie. So make sure the nippers are in bed when it comes on, or else they will be learning some new and interesting words.

Rusty

You're welcome. I have seen Danger UXB and I have I Claudius on DVD. A lot of excellent TV dramas have come out of Britain over the years, such as Cadfael, Inspector Morse, Prime Suspect. They were supposed to be making a movie version of Prime Suspect, but I don't know what happened to it.

Best Wishes