Sign in to follow this  
coolrob1955

Cary Grant makes me sick

18 posts in this topic

Listening to Tony Curtis' comments about Cary Grant, I have to say I must agree with him. I can well understand why Tony Curtis admired him so much. From a man's perspective he was a most unusal and unique actor, always cool, always a gentleman, always stylish. There was no one like him. True Hollywood royalty. If I could be reincarnated as anyone I chose it would probably be Cary Grant.

Regards

Boy - I'll bet that heading makes people sit up and take notice! I know it sure did me. LOL After reading it, I understand what you mean. Ann-Margret makes me sick too. It's almost a sin that one person should have 'everything'. But - I love her. :-)

My first love as a kid was Ann-Margret in State Fair (I know it is an abysmal film, but I was about six when it came out and there was Annie. Sigh.

Yeah, well, Launa Turner makes me sick.

Because she wouldn?t have paid any attention to me if I had been the same age as her, at the same time, in the same town.

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world... and she would never walk into mine.

Metry Road,

Well, Cary Grant was my number one choice. Now, I will have to 'pop down' to number two on my list--Neville Brand. Thanks.

Rusty

Gotta admit it, jarhfive, I couldn't picture Neville Brand, so I googled him.

What a fascinating man. Reminds me of what I've read of Lawrence Tierney. Both into alcohol, both with tough pasts.

Wouldn't it be nice if all these actors who are now so fascinating to us were here to share their real selves with us, instead of the candy-aresed dinkheads who are currently in Hollyweird, who think going a week without a pedicure is hardship?

Hmmm, now exactly what kind of run-on sentence was that? Oh well.

Oh, topic? Carole Lombard makes me sick.

stoneyburke,

Lawrence Tierney? He is now number two on my list.

You know, I think I will move Lawrence Tierney to 'top spot' on my list (bump Neville Brand to number two).

Didn't Lawrence Tierney literally frighten his co-workers...uhm, during working hours? If I am correct (regarding Tierney's work habits), Lawrence Tierney's my role model.

Rusty

I agree with stoneyburke. Carol Lombard makes me sick. She always into war issues and such. Good actress that died to soon.

FredcDobbs: Lana Turner,would be my second choice. That was funny. Same thing would happen to me,with Cary Grant.

You too, jarhfive? You like real he-men men, men who can slap the crap out of other men and call wimmen dames? I'll be. I love them men. Sterling Hayden, Robert Mitchum...........

Yes, he scared the cast of Seinfeld witless and if you read all the stuff on his appearances there...and he was NOT asked back...it's hilarious. Okay, so maybe the guy wasn't emotionally well-balanced in the work place, but hey, who among us really is. Some just hide it better than others...... :)

So I guess Tierney is now your role model! I bet he can kick Brando's candy **** from here to Paducah.

*sigh* I was born too late.

Yes, she could fire a gun (not that I advocate that when it comes to animals) and then be drop dead jaw-droppingly sexy in a satin gown by Orry Kelly or some such designer. *sigh*

Oh, I almost forgot....her aura, her spirit makes me sick, not that I necessarily thought she was drop dead pretty, but Jean Harlow makes me sick. Her entire being, the fact that she NEVAH wore a bra, makes me sick. A life snuffed out waaaaaaaaay too soon.

Okay, somebody start a thread with who makes them sick and is STILL ALIVE! I'll be hard put to think of one.

Neville Brand - funny he would be brought up. I just watched D.O.A. - one of my favorites - and thought he was one of the homliest men I have ever seen. I didn't know him - still don't know much - but made sure I looked up his name at the end because I thought he was so pitifully homely. Grant it, looks aren't everything but that guy had a face that only a mother could love. What was he like in other movies? Was it just D.O.A. that he was so gruesome? I don't like talking negative about someone's looks but in this case, I just gotta ask.

Neville Brand was also great (and Nice) in "The Birdman of Alcatraz" as a Prison Guard.

vallo

scarlett,

Neville Brand does the same 'psycho' gangster in "Where The Sidewalk Ends" and "D.O.A.".

The "homely" Neville Brand? Not the "'Where The Sidewalk Ends" Neville Brand. Not the "D.O.A." Neville Brand. If available, 'check out' the fifteen year later "Laredo" Neville Brand.

Oh yeah, Neville Brand is the man who makes me sick. Well, after Lawrence Tierney.

Rusty

Funny, I was watching the new DVD release of Stalag 17 the other day and the actors doing the commentary mentioned that Brand was a war hero. Something about machine gunning like 25 of the enemy or something.

Yes, apparently his war actions stuck with him his entire life and contributed to his alcoholism.

I like the fact that he wasn't Cary Grant pretty but was fairly successful in Hollywood.

Rusty, I don't know if you were serious, but I have an enormous respect for the actors of that day who were able to walk around in the same town as the likes of Grant and (not to my liking, however) Cooper, and have the cojones to apply for work.

Many times if you see them in the newsreels or home movies, they are no where near as homely (Fred can probably tell us how lighting contributes to homeliness), but at any rate, I'd like to put my hands together for the 'homely' in old Hollywood.

Continuing with the theme of extreme jealousy:

Edward Everett Horton made comedy look too damned easy. A sideways glance, a puckered mouth, his tiny jaw dropped aghast, a slight line reading of "oh, dear" - that's all it took. I've never seen such ease with comedy. That's my love/hate subject (mostly love).