Sign in to follow this  
Fandango

Who Isn't a Clint Eastwood Fan Here?

33 posts in this topic

Clint Eastwood who began with Universal during the mid 1950's doing bit parts landed the starring role in the hit television series Rawhide (look for season one July 25th)! Eastwood then went on to make three films with Sergio Leone, these are some of the greatest westerns ever made, especially The Good, the Bad and the Ugly! Then what does he do he comes home opens his own production company (Malpaso) and ever since 1968 he's been producing his own work. Then of course we first seen his directorial efforts in Play Misty for Me, you know before the slasher films of the late seventies or even Fatal Attraction we got Play Misty for Me, this is an incredible and memorable film! Since then he's directed most of his work, as well he's even composed a lot of his own movies too!

In my opinion Eastwood is our greatest director going right now, greater then Scoresese and Speilberg, Eastwood is 'da man! He's also one of the biggest movie stars of all-time, nobody touched him throughout the 1970's, from three Dirty Harry's to Escape from Alcatraz he's what embodied American Cinema during the seventies!

Here's some great movies of his I love: Obviously the first being Dirty Harry that was a Don Siegal masterpiece and who other then Clint could hold that .44 Magnum! Of course he starred in five Dirty Harry's, the sequels particularly from the seventies are top notch sequels! As for Don Siegal, he was a great director, often over looked today, the two had a great collaberation just like Eastwood's collaberation with Sergio! Don and Clint also did Coogan's Bluff and The Beguiled, both excellent films to watch and you can see Don in Play Misty too!

I love Eastwood's westerns, he's directed a few himself from High Plains Drifter to The Outlaw Josey Wales to Pale Rider all the way to Unforgiven. High Plains is a great western, often overlooked today. Josey Wales at the time of its '76 release was a very popular western, at that time the western was dead but Josey was an exception even today its highly regarded and very remembered. Unforgiven well it won a few Oscars so need I say more! Other westerns like Hang 'Em High, Two Mules for Sister Sara and Joe Kidd are great and fun movies to watch, I'll take a Clint Eastwood western over John Wayne's anyday!

Of course other notable films range from Thunderbolt & Lightfoot to The Eiger Sanction to Firefox and Heartbreak Ridge to A Perfect World and recently Mystic River and Million Dollar Baby.

Make sure you see his two WWII epics this year in the theatre. Eastwood is probably the favorite for the Oscars again next year, will see...

Well, since I'm a dame who could probably find something to like about Methusaleh, I like Eastwood only when he truly showed old.

Blood Work, True Crime and Unforgiven come to mind.

Wow,alot of my favorite movies & shows of his. He's good. I truly love him,later, in Bridge in Madison County and SpaceCowboys. I still enjoy to watch alot of the ones,mentioned before.

I guess I like Eastwood better as a director than an actor. His starring movies never have done much for me. I certainly didn't see what all the hoopla was over "The Unforgiven". Maybe it's just me!

AndyO

I respect the fact that he's attained success and has become well-liked, though I've never been a fan or understood his appeal.

I like him as an actor in some of his older movies, but I'm not crazy about him as a director. The movies he makes are so unclimatic and stagnant, it feels like all of the oxygen has been sucked out the room when they're on. I keep a defibrilator near the TV in case Million Dollar Baby accidentally comes on.

MattHelm,

I thought that about one of Eastwood's movie, I think it is called "Blood Work"? My wife and I were visiting my son and daughter-in-law and it was about the only DVD they had in their house I considered half-way interesting. I was at their house alone--so I thought, "what the hey". I watched all of "Blood Work"...in one sitting.

You know, I don't mind dumb. In fact, I like dumb. Come to think of it, I am dumb. The plot of "Blood Work"? That thing 'pushes the envelope' of dumb-edness.

I watched TCM's broadcast of "Hang 'Em High"--sehr g?t. Not dumb. Not directed by Eastwood.

"Unforgiven" was good, but dumb. Directed by Eastwood.

"Mystic River" was good, but not so dumb. Directed by Eastwood.

Rusty

I didn't read the book Mystic River, so I don't know who's to blame, but I thought there was some dumb, dumbness that you rarely see in movies, never mind Oscar winning ones. Fishburne's character has Robbins's car towed so they can search it. Hello, any incriminating evidence you find there is now illegally confiscated and could be thrown out of court. Boston cops aren't that dumb. Then there's the Boston setting (or Charlestown, Chelsea, Winthrop, whatever) ... you'd think Boston was New Jersey by listening to the accents. Then there's Linney's dialogue at the end calling Penn "the king" etc. ... as we say in Boston, "wicked dumb" or just plain "gahbij."

I'll spare myself the agony of Blood Work. There's only so much defibrillation a TV can stand.

MattHelm,

I will write a bit more about "Blood Work".

First. I did not want to write any details regarding why the plot of "Blood Work" is so dumb. I watched the thing because of special circumstances--visiting the 'kids', no wheels, too lazy to go for a walk, etcetera. I thought--any person interested enough in "Blood Work" to spend the money (and waste the time) to watch the DVD of "Blood Work"...does not care about my review.

Second. I've changed my mind. I will write the following detail about the movie--"Blood Work". Setting aside the annoying attempt at romance between Eastwood and some actress named Wanda De Jesus, the mystery story is not bad. The dumbness is the last few minutes--the killer is identified and the killer's motivation for killing is 'explained'. After I turned off the movie, I thought the ending must have been, oh...one of five endings. The ending I saw was the one rated dumbest by test audiences and (somehow) ended up on the DVD. I don't know. Maybe, another ending was watched in the movie theater.

You know what? I should have gone for a walk.

Rusty

That reminds me of a story I read years ago in that great major metropolitan newspaper The Onion. A woman wakes up in the apartment of a one night stand and rushes out the door after looking at the sub-mediocre titles in his DVD collection.

MattHelm,

What is the name of that movie...the guy looks through the stuff in the friends bathroom and wishes he hadn't? Wait. Back up. I remember. A Seinfeld episode...Jerry Seinfeld looks through the medicine cabinet of his girlfriend and finds a tube of skin rash(?) cream. Rest of the episode is Jerry attempting to get out of his relationship with the woman.

Anyway. I don't think a person's movie, or music, collection is a reliable indicator of anything about the person. The DVDs, CDs, tapes, whatever may be gifts or, things you picked up on the spur of the moment. You know, like that Bananarama album that was only 50 cents...in the cut out rack--hey...it might have been okay music.

I remember looking through the LP collection (indicates how long ago this story happened) of a former co-worker. I was over at his apartment, we were getting drunk and I wanted to listen to some music. I looked through his record collection and thought, "man...this is the same sort of stuff I would buy...in fact, these are the same records I own!...and, our taste in music is more than, say...only Neil Diamond...".

I regarded the guy to be (sort of) a red neck. Does that make me a red neck? Yes...well, no.

Rusty

If it's a friend, I don't really care about their movie/music collection unless it's an endless source of ridicule at my disposal. But when it comes to girlfriends it's different because if their taste in movies/music/TV is bad, you just stepped into a private chamber of Hell of your own making. I lay down the ground rules first thing ... we will not be watching a tv show or go to a movie that I don't want to see, that's what personal time is for. I've lost countless, unretrievable hours of my life that way and have learned my lesson. I've also lost a fortune in chick flicks, the last one being "How To Lose Money in Ten Seconds" or was it "How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days" (I got rid of her in four). The current girl may have to go soon, she's trying to get me into watching reality TV and her musical tastes are painful.

Dumb? Really, all my choices were dumb?

Dang, guess I should stop paying so much attention to the pulchritude of them gray haired actors and paying more attention to the storyline.

Oh well, then again, maybe I like dumb.

There's one role that Eastwood would be great in ... Batman. In the 80's there was a Batman graphic novel called "The Dark Knight Returns" about a 60-something year old Batman coming out of retirement, when things have really deteriorated in society and youth gangs were running rampant (back then it was a futuristic world, I think we're in it now). He even kicked Superman's butt in it, answering that age old question that's been plaguing many a comic geek since the late '30s.

MattHelm,

Your message...makes me verklempt, or is it weltschmerz? Oh, both...I feel bad.

Rusty

Oh, it's very weltschmerz. Trust me on that. Who would have thought that I'd end up in Florida and actually want a woman with a mind? Maybe I should start dating around my age range, that could be the problem. I wonder how Clint would look in a dress.

stoneyburke,

Regarding "Blood Work"? The mystery story (most of the running time of the movie) was pretty good. "Dumb" was the killer's motivation for killing. Oh yeah, also dumb was the tacked on romantic sub-plot.

I take back my statement--"Unforgiven" is dumb. I wrote that "Unforgiven" thing, thought about my "dumb" label, and could not put my finger on why I wrote "Unforgiven" is dumb. Not to say "Unforgiven" is not dumb, I (simply) would not be able to specifically support a "dumb" label. "Unforgiven" was a pain in the neck--I watched the movie from a far left, front row seat in a local theater.

Now. I will toss a couple of actor names into the "ages well, or not" bucket.

Looks better as he gets older--Robert Duvall.

Looks worse as he gets older--Al Pacino.

Looks could go either way. Has potential to age well, or not--Billy Bob Thornton.

Rusty

MattHelm,

Weltschmerz...it is. The state of Florida will be under four feet of water in the near future. One of those darling 'sea cows', uh...manatees(?)?

BTW: Keeping record accurate. Not "Bananarama", but "Bonaroo".

Rusty

Yes, manatees. I only have to walk a mile to see them. In fact, I spend time reading Hayden sitting by them. And now I find that they are the writers for Family Guy.

I've liked some Eastwood movies, and disliked some others. Clint Eastwood is one of those actors who essentially plays 'Himself' in whatever movie he is in. Not necessarily a bad thing, a least you know what your getting. There are many other actors who are basically the same. Let's face it, Jack Nicholson hasn't played anybody but Jack Nicholson since the early 1980's. And Al Pacino is pretty much Al Pacino. Like being a musician with only one tune.

Regards