Sign in to follow this  
flickerknickers

Your Favorite All-time Horror Flick!

107 posts in this topic

So what's your very favorite all-time shocker? Could it be "King Kong," "Mystery of the Wax Museum,' "NIght Monster" or something more modern like "the ring" or "Jeepers Creepers"? Give us your two-cents worth!

Paty, I've never been a fan of sci-fi or horror movies and have never posted in a discussion about them. But I have to say, I've seen EVERY Frankenstein movie there is! For some reason, I am really into the whole story. I read Mary Shelly's book YEARS ago and even studied up on her life and how she came to the idea of the story. It's funny, because the "Creature" is not what I find to be the frightening element of the story, but rather the psychosis of Dr. Frankenstein and how he tries to play God. Of course I love the original Frankenstein as well as the Bride of Frankenstein, but I really enjoyed Kenneth Branagh's adaptation a few years back. Beautifully photographed, scored and acted (IMHO)as well as touching in parts...

"Horror" is not my genre of choice, but I did enjoy THE MUMMY alot when I saw it.

I also got a kick out of WHITE ZOMBIE. I think that movie has the **creepiest** cemetary scene of any movie I've ever seen! And the fact that it has no musical score adds to the atmosphere. I think I remember that as the opening credits come on, there is a single drum beating--sort of setting the scene for what's to come.

MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM is a goodie too!

There are some great set pieces in WHITE ZOMBIE. The whole movie is beautifully shot.

I love the Karloff Universals as well, and also one he did for MGM called THE MASK OF FU MANCHU. A young Myrna Loy gives a deliciously wicked performance as Fu's daughter Fah-Lo-See. Charles Starrett is the object of her desire.

If I could only choose one though , it would have to be KING KONG.

I would have to say my personal favorite Horror flick of "all time" isn't an old classic but a quite recent new one... "The Sixth Sense" with Bruce Willis and Haley Joel Osment. But of the old ones I love "Nightmare Alley" (with Tyrone Power) and when I was a little girl the black & white movie "The House On Haunted Hill" with Vincent Price, Richard Long and Elisha Cook scared the heck out of me terribly... then I saw it again about ten or fifteen years ago when I had grown to adulthood and I laughed at how campy and dumb and unbelievable that movie is and found the difference in the mentality and innocence I had when I was a five-year old little girl and now how I am as an adult about a campy movie that scared me really so badly back then. "The House On Haunted Hill" just didn't have staying power once I hit adulthood. But it does give me an occasional giggle to watch it.

I second that vote, ih8ldymviebuf. She's called me an "idiot" and "stupid" and all those other wonderful Christian names. I believe I know who it is. She changes her name. She ripped through the boards last year, starting fights and having a grand old time. We should give her the name: "Bloody Mama."

There are just too many to name, so I'll pick The Bride of Frankenstein (1935) as a classic horror favorite of mine.

"Bride of Frankenstein" is a real delight but I love "The Black Cat" (1934) even better in some ways. All that great art deco in that huge mausoleum of a castle where Lugosi lives. I believe the decor and furnishings is known as "Bauhaus," a German name given sharp, gleaming lines, glistening floors and walls and minimalist furnishings. Another great goodie is the l942 classic, "Night Monster," starring some Hollywood's greatest B actors. The musical score is great, too. It's a combination of the original Paul Sawtell, H.J. Salter and Charles Previn score for "The Wolf Man" and Frank Skinner's score from "Son of Frankenstein." You'd love it!

I also found The Black Cat (1934) to be a masterpiece. Probably the best teaming of Karloff and Lugosi....ever! Thanks for the recommendation of Night Monster (1942). I have not yet seen this horror/thriller, but I enjoy any horror movie that is set in a creepy mansion or estate. I see Lugosi is relegated to a role as a butler in this one also.

Another horror favorite of mine is The Monster (1925). Talk about the lunatics running the asylum! And I liked the setting of that dark, old sanatorium.

I LOVE F.W. Murnau's "Nosferatu"! I always have to sleep with the lights on after watching that one.

I also like "Dracula 2000" which has, I think, the best theory on the origin of Dracula (and who he really is) that has ever been dealt with. (I won't ruin it for those of you who haven't seen it). It makes me wonder why I never thought of it before. And I always see something I didn't the time before. I love that!

But I'm most partial to anything with Vincent Price. And the cheesier the better! I think "The Tingler" may be my favorite of his films. It's so ridiculous and funny when it isn't supposed to be.

Susie, yesterday on the Mystery Channel they ran an old Price film that I have fond memories of. It's called "The Last Man on Earth". It was the FIRST movie based on Richard Matheson's novel " I Am Legend". The second time it was done as "The Omega Man" which most people are familiar with.

Alien & Jaws are a couple that made me jump as an adult.

As a kid growing up in the 60's, On Friday nights, was a late show called Nightmare Theatre. They showed all the greats horror classics and not so classics. The movies or "monsters" that made the dark unbearable were:

The Creature from the Black Lagoon

Them

The Werewolf or Wolfman

There was some movie that starred Peter Cushing. He was on some island where some radioactive experiment goes wrong. These blob type creatures with a long tenticle go around the sucking the bones out of the islands inhabitants. I just can't remember the name of it. But as a kid it scared the s*#@ out of me. I kept thinking a blob thing was under the bed an it's tenticle would grab my leg or something.

> Alien & Jaws are a couple that made me jump as an

> adult.

> As a kid growing up in the 60's, On Friday nights,

> was a late show called Nightmare Theatre. They

> showed all the greats horror classics and not so

> classics. The movies or "monsters" that made the

> dark unbearable were:

> The Creature from the Black Lagoon

> Them

> The Werewolf or Wolfman

> There was some movie that starred Peter Cushing. He

> was on some island where some radioactive experiment

> goes wrong. These blob type creatures with a long

> tenticle go around the sucking the bones out of the

> islands inhabitants. I just can't remember the name

> of it. But as a kid it scared the s*#@ out of me. I

> kept thinking a blob thing was under the bed an it's

> tenticle would grab my leg or something.

The film with Peter Cushing was called Island of Terror (1966).

Thanks For the title zeker! I did see this movie as an adult and was disappointed on how hokey it was. But it still is a great childhood memory for me to this day.

> Thanks For the title zeker! I did see this movie as

> an adult and was disappointed on how hokey it was.

> But it still is a great childhood memory for me to

> this day.

You're welcome! And I have to agree that these movies just don't capture my attention like they did when I was a kid.

I used to watch the Friday night "Late,Late Show", and was totally mesmerized by films like It! The Terror From Beyond Space (1958) and Kronos (1957). In those days, for me, it never got much better than that.

I loved all of the Vincent Price horror Movies. I remember one call "Mask of the Red death" that I had nightmares for about a month after seeing it.Another Edgar Allen Poe,I believe.

On Halloween weekend, I love to curl up with my worn stack of Universal classics. I start with "The Black Cat", the "Mummy" and work my way on down. A real goodie is 'The Mad Ghoul' starring the hunky, gorgeous David Bruce as the Ghoul and the gorgeous Evelyn Ankers as the love interest. I like "The Werewolf of London", too. Another cult fave is "Tourist Trap," a l982 movie with a terrific cast and a shocking ending. "Eraserhead" would also fall into my fave category.

Of silent horror flicks I love all Lon Chaney films. Of talking films my favorite is Dracula. Bela Lugosi did an exceptional job in that film.

This is a tough one. There are so many I could list! I'll just pick a FEW of my favs--"The Black Cat", "The Bride of Frankenstein", "The Mummy", "The Werewolf of London", "The Wolfman", "The Uninvited" and so many more. As far as "newer" horror flics go, I really was creeped out by "The Others" starring Nicole Kidman. To me it had that classic horror film feel to it. No blood and guts....just plain scary!

I like any of those old Universal monster films from the 30's and 40's.

My number #1 would have to be "House of Horrors" with Martin Kosleck. Every now and then, I drag out the tape and rewatch this one again.

I don't watch any of these new horror films, as I really don't care for the blood and violence. Maybe I am too old or bland, but I would rather watch a Boris Karloff or Bela Lugosi film any day over these newer ones.

I love, LOVE, all of the old Universal Horror films. I would have loved to have been around at the time to see them in the theater when they were first released. All-time favorite horror film is probably NOSFERATU. I've seen it probably 50 or 60 times and it still gives me chills. Although I thought the new DAWN OF THE DEAD was lousy, the original is one of my modern favorites. Also, THE EXORCIST is definitely on my short list.

Also, if you want a double dose of creepiness, I recommend two of Guillermo Del Toro's (HELLBOY, BLADE 2) Mexican films, THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE and CRONOS. They are not really Horror films, per se, but are pretty scary and will stay with you long after you've seen them. Both are excellent films........

Admittedly, Universal was heads above anyone else at making classic horror films, with their stable of folks like Mr. Pratt and Atwill and Lugosi.

But I have a soft spot in my heart for the films of gimmick laden William Castle. Who cannot enjoy a film like "Homicidal" even with its takeoffs of the "Psycho" theme.

Though HOHH is the most famous, I really like better "The Tingler", which has that great Judith Evelyn.

I also like Freund's "Mad Love" which can function as horror, sci-fi or just melodrama. The sequence with the cockatoo and the statue of Galatea is just plain outre.