Sign in to follow this  
BestEra

if you could have lunch...

83 posts in this topic

Thanks for such an indepth answer........your vast knowledge is greatly appreciated.I've only been doing this a short time but I smart enough to know that you are the one to ask. Kudos to Roger Edens and Judy Garland I just love "Over the Rainbow", no matter who sings it, but Judy did it best. I have a Pearl Bailey version of it and even my 21 yr. old daughter loves it.

If I could have lunch with any film star it would be ROBERT MITCHUM!!!! I am sure we would drink lunch and dance through supper, but it would be soooo much fun! I read a biography on him entitled "Baby, I Don't Care", and he was a character for sure. He had a lot of fun in his lifetime and he loved to travel, kind of a vagabond if you will. He's my pick for any meal, anytime, anywhere!!! Mitchumbabe

mitchumbabe, my Dad met Robert Mitchum! It was the summer of 1970 or 71 and we had a summer home in Wildwood, NJ. Mitchum was there filming Going Home, Jan Michael Vincent was there too. Of course the town was abuzz and every day my cousin and I would ride off on our bikes to seek Jan Michael (we were about 13!). One night my Dad came in the house and announced that he had met "Bob", he and the film crew were at the local tappie. My Mom was filled with questions, and I piped up, "Was Jan Michael Vincent with him?" My Dad said, "Who?" and that was the end of my interest in the conversation. My father passed away in 1973 and I never had the chance to ask him what he and "Bob" talked about. As you can see, my tastes have changed, Robert Mitchum, what a hunk!

When I was a child I found Robert Mitchum to be ugly but now as an adult I find him manly and strong.He had a very distinctive voice.

Oh, wow what an awesome story! I probably wouldn't have thought much of him when I was a kid either, but as an adult---what a hunk of man!!! He really was a neat person from all that I have read about him. I mean he was a wild one for sure, but he was nice too. Maybe just a little too nice to the ladies for his wife's taste! Several actresses such as Ava Gardner & Shirley McClaine were in love with him and wanted him to leave his wife to be with them. As the story always goes he would tell them to call Dorothy (his wife) and see what she said about it. Mitchum always went back home to Dorothy--always!! Thanks for your story I loved it!

I adore Gene Kelly, and am the biggest fan of his that I have ever met in real life, but I wouldn't want to have lunch with him. He was a hard worker and I'm a lazy slob. According to his first wife, he was also a bit of a traditionalist because of his upbringing. I can't imagine what we would talk about (besides his career which would make me look foolish and probably bore him).

So I choose my second favorite. Groucho Marx! I read something Woody Allen wrote that claimed he was just like your crazy uncle who was constantly cracking jokes. I have no doubt Groucho would be happy to take over the entire conversation with little prompting from me! And to be able to say I chatted with one of the most influential men of comedy would be a badge I'd wear proudly.

Or Bob Hope... could Bing come in and do a number?