Reaper

Best Film In a Horror Series

34 posts in this topic

When it comes to horror, I still think the first one in a series is generally the best.  Two possible exceptions:  BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN and DAWN OF THE DEAD although personally I lean towards the first in those series probably because I didn't know what to expect the first time I saw them.  A lot of people like ALIENS more than ALIEN but I like the first one better because there is one monster and one beat up ship with a small crew and the action is confined to that setting.

Would Jurassic Park count as Horror? In a way the series sort of is, more Sci-Fi/Adventure but there's definitely a strong Horror aspect to them, I think. The upcoming new sequel, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom looks distinctively more Horror-oriented than the prior films.

In any case, the original film is easily the best by a landslide.

• Like 1

Saw the new Insidious last month and it was good, although Chapter 3 is still my favorite. I think this one is my second favorite thinking it over. I've enjoyed them all so far and welcome a fifth.

On 12/23/2017 at 5:32 PM, Reaper said:

Would Jurassic Park count as Horror? In a way the series sort of is, more Sci-Fi/Adventure but there's definitely a strong Horror aspect to them, I think. The upcoming new sequel, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom looks distinctively more Horror-oriented than the prior films.

In any case, the original film is easily the best by a landslide.

"Jurassic World " was very good and it did work as creature feature horror movie

I didn't really much like Jurassic World at all and felt it strayed too far from what made the original work. But it did seem the most Horror-like of the series so far.

Hatchet is another I remembered. I recently blind bought the third and fourth movies. I've only seen the first two so far. I remember finding the first one meh and thinking the second was much better. It'd be good to binge all four sometime soon. I hope 3 and 4 are as good as the second one was, at least.

Despite being a long-time Horror fan, I've yet to see Psycho. My sole exposure to it was the fourth film and the excellent Bates Motel TV show. I'm long overdue to see the original for sure.

Think I may have mentioned Jurassic Park before. Not sure if it count as Horror. I consider the series Horror-y in a way. In any case, the original is very easily the best. The upcoming Fallen Kingdom looks to embrace the more Horror and monster movie aspects of the series.