Sign in to follow this  
jarhfive

Harry Langdon?

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

The reason I have a question mark after Mr. Langdon's name is:

1) This is a "favorites" forum, I have not watched Mr. Langdon in any movie, so I have no opinion of Harry Langdon.

I want your opinion:

1) Has anybody watched any Harry Langdon comedies?

2) Has anybody who has watched Harry Langdon comedies, did you like Harry Langdon's comedies? I understand, he was pretty popular...way back when.

The reason I am posting this message is:

1) I was flipping through a DVD catalog and a section of the catalog was devoted to Harry Langdon (including his picture). The picture of Harry Langdon (in the catalog) reminded me of one of the characters from Fellini's "8 1/2".

2) TCM broadcast a documentary (last night) about the history of short subjects. During the documentary a picture of Harry Langdon flashes on my TV screen. Mr. Langdon's documentary picture is just as, uhm...bizarre as the one I saw in my movie catalog.

Is Mr. Langdon funny? Is Mr. Langdon a little 'off putting', because his screen 'look' is so strange? My opinion, he looks embalmed.

I am (simply) interested.

Rusty

I have only seen one Langdon picture. That was "Zenobia" with Oliver Hardy. This was the only movie made byHardy without Laurel after their teaming. I caught only for that reason. The movie was not anything to get excited about. I wasn't that impressed and kept wishing for Stan. By this time he was long past his popularity. He did write for L&H.

I rarely, if ever hear his name mentioned. Like you, I heard he was quite popular, mostly in silent shorts.

This was the only movie made byHardy without Laurel after their teaming.

Didn't Ollie do The Fighting Kentuckian with John Wayne after teaming up with Stanley?

CharlieT

You're right, of course. I had a stupid moment there. I think I was thinking that "Zenobia" was to be an L&H project but Stan and Hal Roach had a falling out.

Thanks for pointing it out.

I saw "The Strong Man" about ten years ago - and don't remember much about it. I was interested because it was one of Capra's early works. They did a few together and Langdon was never more successful than when he was working with Capra. He sort of came and went pretty quickly apparently.

He was an okay actor. My favorite of his might be the King (though that is really more because of Thelma Todd ;) ).

harry_langdon___the_king.jpg

thelma_todd___the_king.jpg