Sign in to follow this  
benwhowell

The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter

3 posts in this topic

I'm thrilled that James Wong Howe is being honored this month (on Tuesdays-tonight!,) but where is "The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter?" It's been awhile since I've seen that classic-with Alan Arkin, Chuck McCann, Stacy Keach, Cicely Tyson and (introducing) Sondra Locke (in the role originally tested for by Mary Badham!) Maybe the folks at TCM will show it on a double feature with "The Member Of The Wedding-" another classic adapted from another (coming of age) novel from Carson McCullars-with Julie Harris, Ethel Waters and Brandon DeWilde...

I couldn't agree more I saw this film years ago,and watch it every time it came on(thinking HBO) (hope it will get a DVD release) Chuck McCann's finest hour. Locke and Arkin were nominated for their roles. They have (used VHS only ) at Amazon. Great Film...

vallo

I'm dating myself but I saw this movie when it came out at a matinee in Westwood, Ca. and I remember being profoundly moved at the performances by Arkin and McCann. And the way the movie ends made me realize that movies really reflect the way things are in real life; they don't always have a happy ending. I have seen this movie many times since and it never fails to have an effect on me. Definitely worth watching.