Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

on svengoolie tonite

593 posts in this topic

king kong escapes, a good one.

this evil nefarious oriental scientist-mastermind Dr. Who, not the british time lord, plans to mine this neato radioactive mineral for limitless power purposes

he's accompanied by this drop dead gorgeous oriental femme fatale beauty who gets the hots for this u.s sub commander played by rhodes reason. also on board the sub is a cute as a button linda miller who gets screamy whenever kong picks her up.

this film's alotta fun what with the hot babes. :)

24eqng7.png

• Like 1

I concur. Pop some corn and enjoy the show. But not for the lactose intolerant, as this contains more than the recommended daily allowance of cheese.

• Like 1

Svengoolie is a throwback to the old local creature feature tv hosts. He introduces old horror and sci-fi films with bad jokes and comedy bits. His show is carried nationally at 10:00 P.M. EST on the METV network, which is a syndicated cable channel. Check your local listings!

• Like 2

Might I ask, as one ignorant of the phenomenon: What is Svengoolie and where do I sign-up?

svengoolie is a corny horror film host who shows old sci-fi and horror films every saturday evening at ten on me-tv. :D

• Like 1

Ah, sounds a bit like a blend of Dr. Demento and Elvira . . . ?

Exactly, but not as good as either of those. Better than nothing, though.

Svengoolie is a throwback to the old local creature feature tv hosts. He introduces old horror and sci-fi films with bad jokes and comedy bits. His show is carried nationally at 10:00 P.M. EST on the METV network, which is a syndicated cable channel. Check your local listings!

1375217537201299859.jpg

http://svengoolie.com/

• Like 1

this evil nefarious oriental scientist-mastermind Dr. Who, not the british time lord, plans to mine this neato radioactive mineral for limitless power purposes

he's accompanied by this drop dead gorgeous oriental femme fatale beauty who gets the hots for this u.s sub commander played by rhodes reason. also on board the sub is a cute as a button linda miller who gets screamy whenever kong picks her up.

EXCUSE ME here ND, but the PROPER term now days to describe a person of Asian descent is just that..."ASIAN"!!!

(...oh...wait...this lousy Japanese King Kong flick that Svengoolie was showin' tonight was made in 1968 and back when people in and/or from Asia were still called "Oriental", huh...in that case, you're probably good to go here then, dude...sorry, never mind) 

;)

EXCUSE ME here ND, but the PROPER term now days to describe a person of Asian descent is just that..."ASIAN"!!!

(...oh...wait...this lousy Japanese King Kong flick that Svengoolie was showin' tonight was made in 1968 and back when people in and/or from Asia were still called "Oriental", huh...in that case, you're probably good to go here then, dude...sorry, never mind) 

;)

The World of Henry Asian? :huh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

;)

Thanks, Dargo!

I'll need to orient myself to this newfangled type of thinking.

Uh, just what does this make Warner Oland I wonder?

24eqng7.png

Nip, clarification please as to:

"this film's alotta fun what with the hot babes"

Does this mean that when one shows the film to "hot babes" that it works out to be a "lotta fun" [oops I meant "alotta fun"] or does it mean it's fun to watch the "hot babes" in it?

• Like 1

I could like Svengoolie a lot more if he wouldn't talk over parts of the films and stop chopping them up to smithereens.

Also, why are there so many of these guy horror hosts who carry too much avoirdupois, and think they can solve the problem on air of looking that way, by blacking in areas of their face to get a skullish, skeletal look?

Someone please tell them, IT DOESN'T WORK!

Ernest Thesiger they ain't.

I don't really think Svengoolie is trying to look good or cool. I'm pretty sure he knows he looks silly, maybe even...Sven-goofy?

I agree about the heavily edited and toyed with film presentation, but that's usually the case with these types of shows. Film purists they ain't.

As for Nip, I think he meant the former, because he usually has a coterie or two of hot babes laying about.

• Like 1

This Island Earth will be on Svengoolie tomorrow -- January 30. The female lead is one of the queens of 50s horror/sci-fi: Faith Domergue, fresh from her triumph in Cult of the Cobra.

Here she is in both films:

51O7c5Bz7zL._SX342_.jpg

cotc02.jpg?w=510

• Like 1

This Island Earth will be on Svengoolie tomorrow -- January 30. The female lead is one of the queens of 50s horror/sci-fi: Faith Domergue, fresh from her triumph in Cult of the Cobra.

Here she is in both films:

51O7c5Bz7zL._SX342_.jpg

cotc02.jpg?w=510

rex reason who died several months ago will never be able to co-host a showing of this island earth with osborne on tcm because the sci-fi genre doesn't mean anything to tcm beyond underground.

rex reason who died several months ago will never be able to co-host a showing of this island earth with osborne on tcm because the sci-fi genre doesn't mean anything to tcm beyond underground.

Also because he died several months ago.

• Like 2

Also because he died several months ago.

yes, and no christopher lee sit-ins either because he is now dead.

by sleighting science fiction and the horror genres, tcm had disrespected a lot of cinema.

"sacrilege!" -frank langella, dracula

:)

• Like 1

I could like Svengoolie a lot more if he wouldn't talk over parts of the films and stop chopping them up to smithereens.

Also, why are there so many of these guy horror hosts who carry too much avoirdupois, and think they can solve the problem on air of looking that way, by blacking in areas of their face to get a skullish, skeletal look?

Someone please tell them, IT DOESN'T WORK!

Ernest Thesiger they ain't.

I think the point of Svengoolie is to emulate the way movies were presented in the 50's and early 60's.  All I can say is if you don't like Svengoolie, don't watch.  I watch because I enjoy the schmaltz and a chance to see movies that are NEVER, NEVER on TCM. 

Svengoolie would make a great Guest Programmer on TCM with the best of the best of Sci-Fi, other than Frankenstein etc.  

• Like 1

I've certainly never noticed Sven talking over parts of the movies.  And you gotta admit, some of his "resume gags"( his schtick stuff he says just before the movie resumes) is often pretty inspired.  AND funny.

I think Cave also misses the point of Sven's appearance.  Back in the early '70's, we used to watch a late night B-movie horror movie host out of Cleveland who called himself "The Ghoul".  Guy had a goatee, wore a ragged furry cap and a pair of shades missing a lens.  Showed a lot of the old cheezy and campy Sci-Fi we usually long loved making fun of.  We were all at the time living "better life though chemistry" and augmenting it with exotic South American smoking preparations, so we didn't care.  He was kinda funny.  And the way he'd always abuse "Froggy", was a hoot!  Every time he'd itroduce the night's feature, he'd reach into a garbage can and pull out a big wad of unraveled celluloid and hand it off to a stage hand with instructions to take it to the projectionist.

In the mid '60's in Detroit, we had a Saturday night horror movie host who called himself MORGUS, who made himself up as some cross between "mad scientist" and demented lab assistant.  He was a favorite of the pre and early adolescent crowd.  Of which I belonged to at the time.

After him( late '60's through to the mid to late '70's) was a guy who dressed up as a "road-show" Dracula, with a Snidely Whiplash type moustache and a Van Dyke, who called himself "Sir Graves Ghastly".  His show was a Saturday matinee however, leaving the late nights to "The Ghoul" and other late night "B" movie fare.  Did hs schtick  from out of a coffin and talked in a fair immitation of Vincent Price.

Stupid looking make-up and costumes are a "stock in trade" vehicle for such movie hosts.  It's a large part of the fun!

AVOIRDUPOIS?  I suppose the guy who does Svengoolie could drop a couple of pounds, but I doubt his  character's make-up is any true attempt at trying to look slimmer.  No more than ALICE COOPER'S was.

I just think Cave tried to find a way to work in her recent Reader's Digest "Word Power" find into a discussion.  :D

Sepiatone

svengoolie is an idiot and a slacker!

no true space cadet TV aficionado would ever do what he did or allow it...

after the metalunan spaceship hits the ocean and explodes we then see against a yellowish background in a deep technicolor red 'The End'.

svengoolie's cruddy show omits the closing cast credits against a moving star field.

that's why cable TV needs guys like me hosting these things.

I would never cut out the closing credits like that not with that nifty moving star field.

that's the kind of thing true space cadets will sing out about.

:angry:

svengoolie is an idiot and a slacker!

no true space cadet TV aficionado would ever do what he did or allow it...

after the metalunan spaceship hits the ocean and explodes we then see against a yellowish background in a deep technicolor red 'The End'.

svengoolie's cruddy show omits the closing cast credits against a moving star field.

that's why cable TV needs guys like me hosting these things.

I would never cut out the closing credits like that not with that nifty moving star field.

that's the kind of thing true space cadets will sing out about.

:angry:

OH yeah, I can DEFINITELY see you doin' this sort'a thing, ND!

Although, instead of doin' some ghoulish type character, I'm envisioning you a little more like, say, doin' some kind'a Ed Norton sportin' a space helmet sort'a thing and telling your television audience, "Oh, HELLO there! Are all of my fellow space cadets out there in television land ready-o to watch our featured presentation tonight?", and then take it from there.

(...yep, now THAT'S the way you ought'a go here, wouldn't ya say?!...of course, this would all be incumbent upon how good an Art Carney impression you can do!) ;)

• Like 2

OH yeah, I can DEFINITELY see you doin' this sort'a thing, ND!

Although, instead of doin' some ghoulish type character, I'm envisioning you a little more like, say, doin' some kind'a Ed Norton sportin' a space helmet sort'a thing and telling your television audience, "Oh, HELLO there! Are all of my fellow space cadets out there in television land ready-o to watch our featured presentation tonight?", and then take it from there.

(...yep, now THAT'S the way you ought'a go here, wouldn't ya say?!...of course, this would all be incumbent upon how good an Art Carney impression you can do!) ;)

"you know you're just about right." -cole thornton (john wayne), el dorado

:lol:

All I can state to you Svengoolie naysayers is this...if you don't like Sven then don't watch.  The last time I noticed most TVs have channel changers.  I thought this discussion group was for the purpose of letting TCM viewers there was an alternate available for little seen films on other channels. 

I noticed in the remarks reference to those movie hosts of the late 50's and 60's on local channels that presented the BIG MOVIE and referenced their childhood or adolescence and I truly think that is Sven's intention.  Like I said don't like it, don't watch it.