Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

on svengoolie tonite

593 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, Swithin said:

It's on my online guide (RCN) for next Saturday. The guide doesn't mention the movie. Svengoolie's website says The Giant Claw, which has been on fairly recently.

The-Giant-Claw-1957-A-Real-Turkey-Buzzar

 

 

his beak looks like an elongated Chinese fortune cookie.

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2019 at 3:17 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

image.jpeg.99318a73aedd051263de23abf8af463b.jpeg

Looks like Leslie Howard and Lyle Lovett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2019 at 9:42 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

Strait-Jacket Poster

This was on last night. I rarely watch entire movies on here due to the long commercial interruptions though I do enjoy Sven's comedy bits and movie trivia. I like this movie but was disappointed to see some scenes totally cut out. 

Wow I did not realize that.

I like some of the Sven breaks, well only when he gives Wiki back ground on the stars. The other stuff is schlock, but I like knowing there are still TV hosts willing to play for kids. It's what got me into old movies as a kid.

But knowing there's stuff edited right out-THAT'S the horror!

Mr Tiki & I watched VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED for the first time and it was OK, but I bet there were missing scenes in that too-it could have easily been better.

On 8/25/2019 at 9:09 PM, Princess of Tap said:

while their equally old leading men were still with the "A" movies and the young actresses.

Burt-Lancaster-in-Moses-Premium-Photogra

Lawrence just reviewed this 1974 TV movie of The Ten Commandments starring Burt. Lawrence wasn't impressed. Biblical pictures are less sordid than schlock, though.

And what about this guy who didn't find his stride until a snow top:

frank-drebin2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thought Nielsen found his "stride" long before the cotton top.  And until all the AIRPLANE and POLICE SQUAD  stuff  was pleasantly surprised to see his penchant for comedy.  And have not so huge an ego to feel above getting laughs at apparently his expense.  And I agree that much of Sven's schtick can get tiring, but now and then some actual comic genius shines through.  ;) 

Now, I'm not sure anything was edited out of VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED, been so long between viewings, and I've never seen the BURT LANCASTER "Comandments" TV mini series( called MOSES THE LAWGIVER) but it had to be better than the '95 mini-series MOSES with BEN KINGSLEY  as Moses.

Sepiatone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I like some of the Sven breaks, well only when he gives Wiki back ground on the stars. The other stuff is schlock, but I like knowing there are still TV hosts willing to play for kids. It's what got me into old movies as a kid.

But knowing there's stuff edited right out-THAT'S the horror!

Strait was a 93 minute movie so Sven had to cut out some part for his schlock.

Often the horror films he shows are < 80 minutes (E.g. "B" productions or non-major studio offerings) and therefor little to nothing needs to be cut.      

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

image.jpeg.025ac443a96930654da4318184bf89f8.jpeg

A better than expected version of the werewolf legend. There is a scientific rather than supernatural reason.

Svengoolie showed The Werewolf fairly recently -- January 26, 2019. He needs to get some new (old) films, since he's already shown most of the usual subjects many times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was a version I never cared for anyway, so I opted for some old LAW AND ORDER reruns.

Sepiatone

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lee Meriwether as Losira woulda made a great 50 foot woman.

:)

Image result for losira star trek

who's belly button was prettier?

Losira's or Zarabeth's?

Mariette Hartley had a subtle hotness.

 

Image result for zarabeth star trek

Image result for mariette hartley genesis ll 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, but in this case, I'd rather imagine ME doing the touching!  ;)

Sepiatone

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4D Man Poster

Here was a good sci fi film about a scientist who can walk through solid matter, including steel, but his touch becomes deadly. 

I hadn't seen this in many years, I saw the first half and bits of the second. The cast is great-

Robert Lansing is the scientist, became well known for TV work, including "Twelve O'Clock High". He looks like he could be Robert Stack's brother.

Lee Meriwether is Lansing's assistant. She looks great and was one of the better actresses to come from the Miss America pageants. She would also become a TV star, with guest spots on "Star Trek" and a regular role on "Barnaby Jones. And she played a very sexy Catwoman in the 1966 movie version of "Batman".

Robert Strauss is a lecherous scientist with designs on Lee. He was best known for his Oscar nominated role as Animal in "Stalag 17.

Most surprising is a very young Patty Duke as a little girl being babysat by Meriwether. This was before her Oscar winning "The Miracle Worker" and her self titled TV show. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And Duke looked surprisingly younger than her HELEN KELLER character in THE MIRACLE WORKER, which it seems, was made around the same time.  Her small stature did help her get many roles of girls much younger than she actually was. 

But I didn't particularly think the movie was all that good.  In spite of my being a fan of Robert Lansing since 12 O'CLOCK HIGH. AND a fondness for ROBERT STRAUSS from his many engaging movie character roles. 

Sepiatone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

4D Man came out in 1959 and The Miracle Worker in 1965.

The Miracle Worker came out in 1962.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

The Miracle Worker came out in 1962.

so she grew a lot in 3 years.

patty duke is smokin' all boozed up in VOTD.

:)

Image result for patty duke bra and slip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

4D Man Poster

Here was a good sci fi film about a scientist who can walk through solid matter, including steel, but his touch becomes deadly. 

I hadn't seen this in many years, I saw the first half and bits of the second. The cast is great-

Robert Lansing is the scientist, became well known for TV work, including "Twelve O'Clock High". He looks like he could be Robert Stack's brother.

Lee Meriwether is Lansing's assistant. She looks great and was one of the better actresses to come from the Miss America pageants. She would also become a TV star, with guest spots on "Star Trek" and a regular role on "Barnaby Jones. And she played a very sexy Catwoman in the 1966 movie version of "Batman".

Robert Strauss is a lecherous scientist with designs on Lee. He was best known for his Oscar nominated role as Animal in "Stalag 17.

Most surprising is a very young Patty Duke as a little girl being babysat by Meriwether. This was before her Oscar winning "The Miracle Worker" and her self titled TV show. 

This is much better than I expected with an interesting plot twist. Not as good as the producer's previous movie, "The Blob", but still much better than the average sci-fi of this era.

And thank you for noticing, what I've noticed for years, that Robert Lansing looks a lot like my favorite TV star, Eliot Ness. LOL

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2019 at 3:10 PM, Princess of Tap said:

This is much better than I expected with an interesting plot twist. Not as good as the producer's previous movie, "The Blob", but still much better than the average sci-fi of this era.

And thank you for noticing, what I've noticed for years, that Robert Lansing looks a lot like my favorite TV star, Eliot Ness. LOL

Hey!  Didja ever notice that Ness guy has a very close resemblance to that actor ROBERT STACK who starred with John Wayne in THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY?  :D  Wonder if they're related some how.......

Sepiatone

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I'm afraid this really scares me.

Yea,   all those dang commercials!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yea,   all those dang commercials!

 

Dracula is 75 minutes long, so there will be a lot of commercials and Sven silliness. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I'm afraid this really scares me.

Yeah, his thick Hungarian accent murdering the English language is one of the worst murders shown on screen. :lol: 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Dracula is 75 minutes long, so there will be a lot of commercials and Sven silliness. 

I declare this Dwight Frye night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Dracula is 75 minutes long, so there will be a lot of commercials and Sven silliness. 

Does this mean we will all have to take turns driving Joe Namath to his doctor appointment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us