Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

on svengoolie tonite

609 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Janet0312 said:

What the heck is with the musical soundtrack? I don't remember this.

What musical soundtrack? I have it on right now and I don't hear anything.

Never mind. I hear it now. It is the Glass score version.

19 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Yeah, his thick Hungarian accent murdering the English language is one of the worst murders shown on screen. :lol: 

Unless that screen is your computer monitor and you're on FaceBook.  The English language gets murdered FAR worse there that what Lugosi can manage! :rolleyes: 

Anyway, the scariest thing in that image above is the possibility of Count Dracula's candle setting off all those cobwebs aflame and burning out almost all of Transylvania. :rolleyes: 

Sepiatone

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Unless that screen is your computer monitor and you're on FaceBook.  The English language gets murdered FAR worse there that what Lugosi can manage! :rolleyes: 

Anyway, the scariest thing in that image above is the possibility of Count Dracula's candle setting off all those cobwebs aflame and burning out almost all of Transylvania. :rolleyes: 

Sepiatone

I think Bela's accent is just the sort of accent that a Hungarian/Romanian/Transylvanian vampire living in the UK would/should have. English was not Count Dracula's first language.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Swithin said:

I think Bela's accent is just the sort of accent that a Hungarian/Romanian/Transylvanian vampire living in the UK would/should have. English was not Count Dracula's first language.

Yea,  but after living in a English language country for many centuries,   I would have expected him to have lost the accent!

7 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yea,  but after living in a English language country for many centuries,   I would have expected him to have lost the accent!

But he only moved to an English-speaking country at the beginning of the story. He's only in England a month or two.

Bram Stoker didn't spend much of the story detailing what Drac had been up to for all those centuries in Transylvania. He should have been brushing up on his language skills. Or maybe he did, but English wasn't one of them. Maybe he spoke flawless Mandarin, or Portuguese. 

4 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

But he only moved to an English-speaking country at the beginning of the story. He's only in England a month or two.

The film only covers less than 1% of his life.    It was my understanding he liked to move a lot and had lived in England a few times before this latest move and had stayed there for decades (as well as France, Italy etc..).      That makes sense to me since it would get boring living in the same place for so many centuries and rumor has it that English blood is like a fine French wine!

Also,  if only in England a month,,,, where did he learn to speak English?    Oh, wait,  must have been at a Hungarian/Romanian/Transylvanian night school!

• Haha 2

Just now, jamesjazzguitar said:

The film only covers less than 1% of his life.    It was my understanding he liked to move a lot and had lived in England a few times before this latest move and had stayed there for decades (as well as France, Italy etc..).      That makes sense to me since it would get boring living in the same place for so many centuries and rumor has it that English blood is like a fine French wine!

Also,  if only in England a month,,,, where did he learn to speak English?    Oh, wait,  must have been at a Hungarian/Romanian/Transylvanian night school!

I added to my previous post while you were responding.

No, there's no mention in the story of Dracula having ever lived in England previously. There's passing reference to battling the Ottoman Turks centuries ago, like the historical Vlad Tepes did, but that's about it. In the novel, one of the reasons given for Dracula insisting that Jonathan Harker stay in Transylvania after the property deeds are signed is to teach Dracula more on English manner and customs. Remember too that in the story Renfield had already been sent to Transylvania at an earlier date to set the preliminary land acquisition deals in motion, during which time Dracula I'm sure practiced his English. (In the film the stuff that happens with Renfield in the beginning happened to Harker in the book).  

16 hours ago, Swithin said:

And WHAT IN THE WORLD made you think I was referring to any ACCENT?  :unsure:  I know several people with thick accents who still manage correct and proper GRAMMAR.  

And JAMES:

I've seen both sides of the accent issue.  My Grandfather(on one side) came to this country in 1905 when he was 8 years old, and spoke with a "thick as pea soup" Polish accent until his death in 1981.  On the other hand, a girl me and some friends who would lunch together at a near to the plant fast food restaurant were treated to "on the house" soft drinks by her in celebration of her becoming an American citizen.  Her having NO discernible accent, we asked if she moved over here from Canada, and she informed us she came over from Lithuania six years earlier.  We then surmised she learned to speak English there before coming over, but she claimed to have not spoken any English until she got here! :o  :D And she was speaking English better than most people I knew who were born and raised here! and with NO ACCENT!!

Sepiatone

31 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

And WHAT IN THE WORLD made you think I was referring to any ACCENT?  :unsure:  I know several people with thick accents who still manage correct and proper GRAMMAR.  

I assume none of the people whom you refer to is/was a vampire. When you are both an immigrant and a vampire, the challenges are greater to get the language right. After all, you're not around people a lot, given your schedule. It's interaction with other people that helps with language skills.

Heh.  Another "life of the party" I see.  :wacko: 

My original post on the matter was my taking advantage to point out how FACEBOOK exemplifies and perpetuates the sad state of deterioration of grammar, spelling and punctuation in American iNet discourse.  I blame the site as a major component in the tragic " dumbing down"  of American cognizant intercommunication.  Plus-----

Since vampires are just FOLKLORE and NOT real, how an immigrant vampire would talk is more kind of a "stoner" topic of conversation, don't you think?

...or....

DON'T you?  ;) 

Sepiatone

59 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Heh.  Another "life of the party" I see.  :wacko: 

My original post on the matter was my taking advantage to point out how FACEBOOK exemplifies and perpetuates the sad state of deterioration of grammar, spelling and punctuation in American iNet discourse.  I blame the site as a major component in the tragic " dumbing down"  of American cognizant intercommunication.  Plus-----

Since vampires are just FOLKLORE and NOT real, how an immigrant vampire would talk is more kind of a "stoner" topic of conversation, don't you think?

...or....

DON'T you?  ;) 

Sepiatone

What's a stoner? 😊

Unlike vampires, languages are living entities and change over time, in response to any number of stimuli. 

• Sad 1

SWITHIN!  Come BACK!  Come back to the SUBJECT AT HAND!  :huh:  We( at least I was) were talking about grammar.  And in just a few short posts you got onto languages being living entities:rolleyes:

And a stoner( as if you didn't know) is a person who, through the use(or overuse) of mind altering controlled substances is usually reduced to having a short attention span which causes them to think of things in a grandiose manner or assuming actual behavior of imaginary or mythical beings( like the manner in which an "immigrant vampire" might converse).  ;)  Or like those "stoners" who used to marvel at the "possibility" of our universe actually being a speck of dust under the fingernail of some humongous deity.  :D (heard a lot of that in the '70's! :D )

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

SWITHIN!  Come BACK!  Come back to the SUBJECT AT HAND!  :huh:  We( at least I was) were talking about grammar.  And in just a few short posts you got onto languages being living entities:rolleyes:

And a stoner( as if you didn't know) is a person who, through the use(or overuse) of mind altering controlled substances is usually reduced to having a short attention span which causes them to think of things in a grandiose manner or assuming actual behavior of imaginary or mythical beings( like the manner in which an "immigrant vampire" might converse).  ;)  Or like those "stoners" who used to marvel at the "possibility" of our universe actually being a speck of dust under the fingernail of some humongous deity.  :D (heard a lot of that in the '70's! :D )

Sepiatone

Languages are modes of communication and evolve over centuries. Just look at your post. You used FIVE emojis! FIVE! So even your methods of communication have been affected by new trends!

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Swithin said:

Languages are modes of communication and evolve over centuries. Just look at your post. You used FIVE emojis! FIVE! So even your methods of communication have been affected by new trends!

OK, "BUSTED!"  But in my defense, my use of emoticons (I know "emojis" comes from the Japanese, but it still sounds like baby talk to me.)  is to help ward off the possibility of a statement being taken out of context.  Something that happens routinely on iNet forums( and particularly on "SchlockBook") And....AGAIN------

The discussion was initially pertaining to GRAMMAR and SPELLING, and NOT defining the salient points of the existence of languages.  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

OK, "BUSTED!"  But in my defense, my use of emoticons (I know "emojis" comes from the Japanese, but it still sounds like baby talk to me.)  is to help ward off the possibility of a statement being taken out of context.  Something that happens routinely on iNet forums( and particularly on "SchlockBook") And....AGAIN------

The discussion was initially pertaining to GRAMMAR and SPELLING, and NOT defining the salient points of the existence of languages.  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

The discussion was initially about Dracula. Just as that led into grammar and spelling, the conversation was further led to other points about language. That's how communication works. 

Btw, what does "SchlockBook" mean? I'm not as informed as to all the (presumably new and trendy) terms as you are.

• Haha 1

"SchlockBook" is not a "trendy" term, but instead, my derogatory handle for "FaceBook".  To whit:

schlock

adjective
\ ˈshläk  \
variants: or schlocky \ ˈshlä-kē  \ or less commonly shlock or shlocky

Definition of schlock

: of low quality or value

Sepiatone

I'm going to lodge a complaint with the Women's Diversity Board. Svengoolie is showing Son of Dr. Jekyll again tomorrow, October 5, 2019. He just showed it in April, and to my knowledge, he's never shown the guy's sister. The Daughter of Dr. Jekyll, a film so unique that it was worthy of one of Andrew Sarris's most sarcastic comments in his seminal work, The American Cinema:

"... anyone who loves the cinema must be moved by The Daughter of Dr Jekyll, a film with a scenario so atrocious that it takes forty minutes to establish that the daughter of Dr Jekyll is indeed the daughter of Dr Jekyll."

HoweverRobert Singer took Edgar Ulmer's film more seriously, suggesting in a book chapter titled "Nothing to Hyde": The film "may be read as a critically significant text within the melodramatic crisis of female identity cinema of the 1950s," 

So c'mon, Sven, give us the Daughter!

On Svengoolie tonight, October 26, 2019: The Mummy's Ghost (1944). Kharis, Ananka, and the tanna leaves. I love this series.

220px-Mummysghost.jpg

1059full-the-mummy's-ghost-screenshot.jp

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Swithin said:

On Svengoolie tonight, October 26, 2019: The Mummy's Ghost (1944). Kharis, Ananka, and the tanna leaves. I love this series.

A pretty good sequel, and good episode for Svengoolie. I thought the Ramsey Ames rapid aging scenes were well done. 

Sven had some good trivia, I never knew that Lon Chaney had been accidentally cut when he smashed a real glass case in one scene. You can actually see some real blood on his bandaged chin.

Sven also does a very funny Jerry Lewis impression in a sketch were he plays Judge Jerry in a "People's Court" parody. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

A pretty good sequel, and good episode for Svengoolie. I thought the Ramsey Ames rapid aging scenes were well done. 

Sven had some good trivia, I never knew that Lon Chaney had been accidentally cut when he smashed a real glass case in one scene. You can actually see some real blood on his bandaged chin.

Sven also does a very funny Jerry Lewis impression in a sketch were he plays Judge Jerry in a "People's Court" parody. 

One aspect of the film that I've always found interesting is that Kharis and Ananka walk into the Massachusetts swamps.  In the next film, The Mummy's Curse, they emerge from swamps that are in Louisiana. 

In Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959), the travelers enter the Earth via a volcano in Iceland and emerge sometime later near Sicily. Perhaps Kharis and Ananka similarly found a connecting route between Massachusetts and Louisiana.

• Haha 1

:D We always joked about that Center Of The Earth movie in wondering....

Just WHAT was the naked PAT BOONE going to do with that lamb he carried behind that tree?  :o ;)  :P

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

On 10/26/2019 at 9:26 AM, Swithin said:

220px-Mummysghost.jpg

1059full-the-mummy's-ghost-screenshot.jp

Not much fun for me to see my favorite horror actor, Lon Chaney Jr, all tightly bandaged up so that I could not see his handsome face or his expressive acting. Svengoolie said he was drunk during a lot of the shooting. And it's no wonder because he's such a good actor and he didn't have an opportunity to show what he could do in this movie. Lon Jr was even able to show more expression when he played Frankenstein.

More bandages this week on Svengoolie tomorrow, November 2, 2019:

Invisible-Man-Feature.jpg

il_570xN.1745958808_mg39.jpg

• Thanks 3

21 hours ago, Swithin said:

More bandages this week on Svengoolie tomorrow, November 2, 2019:

Invisible-Man-Feature.jpg

il_570xN.1745958808_mg39.jpg

I love that movie. perhaps whales' best and Una O'Connor is an absolute hoot.

:)

Image result for una o'connor the invisible man

• Like 1