Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

on svengoolie tonite

609 posts in this topic

I didn 't notice it on the channel's schedule for the weekend.  Maybe they are taking a week off.

Oh really? That seems unusual. Someone else said the time slot was changing.

If you scroll down in the thread, you'll see Swithin posted that it's MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE this week.

And THE WOLF MAN next week.

• Like 1

If you scroll down in the thread, you'll see Swithin posted that it's MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE this week.

I love The Wolf Man.

Thanks for update about next week.

And The Boy Who Cried Werewolf (1973) and The Mummy (1932) the last two Saturdays of the month (as per Svengoolie's monthly newsletter).

• Like 1

And The Boy Who Cried Werewolf (1973) and The Mummy (1932) the last two Saturdays of the month (as per Svengoolie's monthly newsletter).

The Boy Who Cried Werewolf I think has always been underrated,

strange makeup it has. the creature looks more like a were-baboon.

and the sound is all wrong. sounds more like an enraged raccoon or squirrel.

or a soprano baboon even. :lol:

I went to see it at the movies on a double bill with Ssssss back in '73.

• Like 2

The Boy Who Cried Werewolf I think has always been underrated,

strange makeup it has. the creature looks more like a were-baboon.

and the sound is all wrong. sounds more like an enraged raccoon or squirrel. :lol:

I went to see it at the movies on a double bill with Ssssss back in '73.

"Were-baboon"? I think you just coined a new word, Nip. Great visualization!

• Like 1

Love this film. Been ages since TCM aired it.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-02-12%2Bat%2B9.02.2

I love this film too, TB. I think its oh so atmospheric qualities are what attract me, and I would ascribe part of that to the cinematography of noted cameraman, Joseph Valentine. He also worked on Hitchcock's "Shadow of a Doubt", "Rope" and "Saboteur". Plus the incredible cast is fab and the work of Curt Siodmak makes it so worthwhile.

And I love hearing Claude Rains pronounce the name Larry!

• Like 1

I love this film too, TB. I think its oh so atmospheric qualities are what attract me, and I would ascribe part of that to the cinematography of noted cameraman, Joseph Valentine. He also worked on Hitchcock's "Shadow of a Doubt", "Rope" and "Saboteur". Plus the incredible cast is fab and the work of Curt Siodmak makes it so worthwhile.

And I love hearing Claude Rains pronounce the name Larry!

I think Universal had the best cinematographers, even with the non-horror entries. Most of the studio's westerns are beautifully filmed. 

Incidentally, both THE INVISIBLE MAN and THE WOLF MAN make a strong case for Claude Rains as Star of the Month on TCM in October.

Hint-hint, programmers. 

• Like 1

I'm gonna have to pass on Svengoolie tonight.

My local PBS station is airing The Manchurian Candidate (1962)

• Like 2

I'm gonna have to pass on Svengoolie tonight.

My local PBS station is airing The Manchurian Candidate (1962)

Kind of the same story anyway, if you think about it, Kid.

(...I mean, in ONE case it's seein' the full moon that causes the otherwise likable protagonist to go on a killing spree, and in the OTHER it's seein' the Queen of Diamonds, RIGHT?!)

;)

I'm watching "The Wolf Man"  right now. I enjoy this movie but I wish that TCM would show

"The Werewolf Of London". That was another version of the wolf man filmed by Universal in 1935 with Henry Hull and Warner Oland. I remember seeing it as a kid and found it also to be very atmospheric.

Two Universal horror classics that TCM never shows are Dracula and The Werewolf Of London.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind TCM showing Wolf (1994) with Jack Nicholson and Michelle Pfeiffer. Except for the crude and gratuitous (though effective) "territory marking" scene, I thought this was a nice piece of work which didn't overly abuse the FX aspect. It's on my list of Post Golden Era films.

I'm watching "The Wolf Man"  right now. I enjoy this movie but I wish that TCM would show

"The Werewolf Of London". That was another version of the wolf man filmed by Universal in 1935 with Henry Hull and Warner Oland. I remember seeing it as a kid and found it also to be very atmospheric.

Two Universal horror classics that TCM never shows are Dracula and The Werewolf Of London.

Well, there are a lot of Universal films from the golden age of Hollywood that TCM never/seldom airs. 

The Werewolf of London is my favorite werewolf movie. I also like The Wolf Man, but I think The Werewolf of London is literate, atmospheric, intelligent on a number of levels, and with a wide range of fascinating characters.

• Like 2

Love this film. Been ages since TCM aired it.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-02-12%2Bat%2B9.02.2

I watch Svengoolie almost all Saturday evenings and make believe I am 13 again staying up to watch the Late Movie.  I am one of the few who enjoy his shitick and sometimes he has interesting interviews as well as the introduction of the different players.  I believe I said earlier that I would love to see Svengoolie as a guest programmer on TCM introducing some resounding horror films. 

Last night he went into detail re: WOLFMAN make-up and its origins which I found interesting.  I don't know if TCM has ever had a special devoted to make-up and make-up design and the impact of colour on the changing make-up requirements as well as the method of make-up related to lighting in both venues.  As an aside, I followed up one day on researching the Westmores and their influence on the make-up industry in Hollywood.  Apparently there were three brothers with Perc Westmore as the leader...oh dear I digress, sorry. 

• Like 2

I watch Svengoolie almost all Saturday evenings and make believe I am 13 again staying up to watch the Late Movie.  I am one of the few who enjoy his shitick and sometimes he has interesting interviews as well as the introduction of the different players.  I believe I said earlier that I would love to see Svengoolie as a guest programmer on TCM introducing some resounding horror films. 

Last night he went into detail re: WOLFMAN make-up and its origins which I found interesting.  I don't know if TCM has ever had a special devoted to make-up and make-up design and the impact of colour on the changing make-up requirements as well as the method of make-up related to lighting in both venues.  As an aside, I followed up one day on researching the Westmores and their influence on the make-up industry in Hollywood.  Apparently there were three brothers with Perc Westmore as the leader...oh dear I digress, sorry. 

I think the story of the Westmore family is a great one. It would make an interesting book, if one has not already been written.

And to address one of the points you raised, TCM has not had (to my knowledge) a monthly spotlight on make-up artistry.

My mind kept wandering while watching last night's movie.

Not that I thought it was boring, but I saw it so many times over my life span, and other things kept creeping in.....

Like when Chaney, as the wolfman, was busy killing the gravedigger, I couldn't help myself...I commented;

"If he keeps this stuff up, they won't let him tend the rabbits! "

I was also at one point, reminded of a cartoon I saw back sometime in the '70's in PLAYBOY magazine.  By GAHAN WILSON, if memory serves;

All the horror movie monsters of famed repute are at a cocktail party.  There's Frankenstein's monster, the Mummy, Dracula, I think even Quasimodo was there, and a few zombies were standing around, all watching The Wolfman "scoot" across the carpet as you've seen dogs do on occasion.   One of the "guests" comments, "That's why we don't have him to OUR place anymore."

My WIFE got off a good one though----

After I told her about the cartoon, she chuckled because she never HAD seen it before, but shot back---

"Imagine what a werewolf would do to someone's LEG!"  :D

Sure, Svengoolie does some corny schtick, but he never promised "high art", in either movies or sideshow, so no sensible reason for complaint.  It's good diversion, and most late-night horror movie hosts I recall have NEVER given more than corny schtick.  It's the "stock-in-trade" for such performers.

That Svengoolie goes a few inches further and provides "inside dope" on some productions, and background info on the cast members sets him apart from the rest of the pack.

Hell, I might even order one of his hoodies!

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I think the story of the Westmore family is a great one. It would make an interesting book, if one has not already been written.

And to address one of the points you raised, TCM has not had (to my knowledge) a monthly spotlight on make-up artistry.

There is and I've read it.

The Westmores of Hollywood Hardcover – 1976

by Frank Westmore

The one story in the book that sticks in my mind is that Perc would get mad if you pronounced his name

"perk". It was pronounced "purse".

• Like 1

There is and I've read it.

The Westmores of Hollywood Hardcover – 1976

by Frank Westmore

The one story in the book that sticks in my mind is that Perc would get mad if you pronounced his name

"perk". It was pronounced "purse".

Thanks Janet. I had assumed it was pronounced as Percy (short for Percival). Now I know!

tonite's svengoolie offering is pretty good,

The Boy Who Cried Werewolf known for it's atypical werewolf makeup.

kerwin mathews is the were-dad you can tell from the outset would like nothing better than to reconcile with the lovely Elaine Devry.

so he and his kid, Richie, go camping and the fun begins.

the guy who plays the jesus freak commune leader, Bob Homel, wrote it and dependable Robert J. Wilke is no-nonsense authoritarianistic as the sheriff who tells the jesus freaks to move on.

the film even manages to be funny in spots as well as informative about lycanthrope trivia.

werewolves can dig too as were-dad is digging a hole in a garage to hide some heads in a duffel bag while still a werewolf.

also of note is actor george gaynes who just died aged 98.

he's the psychiatrist who gets shredded for tipping kerwin off that he's a lycanthrope.

a great ending with this one. barrage a werewolf with enough bullets and he's sure to fall backwards on to a wooden post right through the heart.

the forestry service can handle anything.

:)

tonite's svengoolie offering is pretty good,

The Boy Who Cried Werewolf known for it's atypical werewolf makeup.

kerwin mathews is the were-dad you can tell from the outset would like nothing better than to reconcile with the lovely Elaine Devry.

so he and his kid, Richie, go camping and the fun begins.

the guy who plays the jesus freak commune leader, Bob Homel, wrote it and dependable Robert J. Wilke is no-nonsense authoritarianistic as the sheriff who tells the jesus freaks to move on.

the film even manages to be funny in spots as well as informative about lycanthrope trivia.

werewolves can dig too as were-dad is digging a hole in a garage to hide some heads in a duffel bag while still a werewolf.

also of note is actor george gaynes who just died aged 98.

he's the psychiatrist who gets shredded for tipping kerwin off that he's a lycanthrope.

a great ending with this one. barrage a werewolf with enough bullets and he's sure to fall backwards on to a wooden post right through the heart.

the forestry service can handle anything.

:)

Anybody else watch it? I turned it off after a while and went to bed.

Anybody else watch it? I turned it off after a while and went to bed.

I watched it recently, but not on Svengoolie. Once was enough.