60 posts in this topic

For those who may not be aware, click on the "blinking yellow  lights" at the top of the page to learn more about friend Kyle. You can also scroll down the message boards title page to  find a whole category dedicated to Kyle.

• Like 5

So sorry to know this,my favorite poster is gone,i was already missing him in the last couple of months,now i know the reason,always interesting on all the topics,he did a superb thread on The Big Sleep mystery and many others.These boards needs more like him, a great loss.he did many posts but they had meat in them,always interesting,the only one where quality and quantity were even.

• Like 1

I am so sorry to see this news. Fred and I had many great discussions on this board back in the old days. He could often be cranky and irritating to some but we always got along well. It seemed he could talk about anything. 

We would occasionally PM each other and he really had a great sense of humor. He was very gracious to me in regard to my writing. Always complimentary and encouraging. He often made me laugh. Sometimes when we had those big dust up threads about a particular issue on the board I never felt the conversation or the battle was complete until ol' Fred C. Dobbs weighed in with his two cents.  Even when we disagreed I admired his tenacity. 

I remember one particular time many years ago when he started a thread about his being snowed in all alone at his home. It was partly in fun but you could also tell he was feeling a little anxious and stir crazy. A bunch of us posted humorous messages and pics about setting out to rescue him. He seemed genuinely touched by the outpouring of thoughtfulness from his fellow posters here and even said he was printing out some of the pics and messages so he could keep them. That was a side of Fred you didn't always see, but it was there.

He was big part of this community and he stuck with it throughout the years. I would leave for months and even a year or so and when I did return it was always great to see that Fred was still around.

It is so sad to know that he is gone. I will miss him very much.

• Like 8

Not sure what to say just yet,  without the absolute confirmation. But if things are as they appear, I would be very sorry to hear of it. I know he will be missed here.  At any rate, God bless the memory of Mr. Rush and the friends and loved ones he leaves behind. 

• Like 3

Isn't there anyone here on the message boards who knew Fred and/or communicated with him

on a regular basis?  Are Fred and Johann one and the same? If so, what happened? Was he ill or was it sudden? So many questions!

I am very sorry to hear of this. I enjoyed discussing things with him and he seems to have had a much more interesting history than he ever let be known. I'm amazed and fascinated about his connection to Oswald in Cuba and his later writings on the assassination.RIP, Fred!

Isn't there anyone here on the message boards who knew Fred and/or communicated with him

on a regular basis?  Are Fred and Johann one and the same? If so, what happened? Was he ill or was it sudden? So many questions!

There were, but apparently he never , unlike many board members,  divulged his real name, not even his first name.

I just found out about this. 

Johann W. Rush (Sept. 5, 1942 - Dec. 12, 2015) aka FredCDobbs

I was directed to this thread from the TCM You're Losing Me But I'm Hanging On thread

This is very sad news. Almost to similar to what I (we) knew about Fred to be merely coincidental. 

Strange how Tom mentioning Fred in that other thread... Up until then I was unaware of his passing.... and the title TCM, You're Loosing Me... 
And now it appears that TCM has lost one of it's greatest fans. 

And I (we) have lost a vociferously unique fellow board member.

FredCDobbs has been a "fixture" on these boards for many years. 

From what he has written here over the years, and within our few board dialogues, I truly liked Fred. 

For me he was an affable 'old coot' who had his opinions and for the most part stuck by them. 
Years of experience reinforced his mindset, but Fred, though sometimes stubborn and well set in his ways, was never too "old" or closed minded to not be persuaded to see things through another persons eyes. At least not in our shared board "conversations." 

Though he sometimes appeared to be irascible, he was also very wise. And he often made me smile, and think, and sometimes even laugh out loud

I am missing him. 

Fred may be gone... but he will not soon be forgotten. The unique little snippets of himself shared with us and ingrained in our collective memory will attest to that. 

And now I am also thinking about all the rest of us who write and share on these boards. Each an individual with a life's story behind them. 

And all we have is a tiny glimmer of that life, as shared on these boards. 

When thinking about Fred I was reminded of the poem by John Donne 

I posted it in that other thread. But it is more fitting to dedicate it here. 

To Fred 

'No Man is an Island'

No man is an island entire of itself;
every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less,
as well as if a promontory were,
as well as any manner of thy friends or of thine own were;
any man's death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;
it tolls for thee.

• Like 6