60 posts in this topic

Johann W. Rush (Sept. 5, 1942 - Dec. 12, 2015)

Johann Rush passed away in Kirtland, New Mexico, on Dec. 12, 2015.
Mr. Rush was a news cameraman and documentary film cameraman with a long and interesting career. After leaving college, Mr. Rush worked as a news cameraman for WSDU-TV in New Orleans, where he filmed a local activist by the name of Lee Harvey Oswald
(Oswald was president of the local branch of the Fair Play for Cuba Committee and was distributing leaflets outside the International Trade Mart in New Orleans on August 16, 1963).
You can view still frames of the news footage filmed by Mr. Rush here:
http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/rush.htm

This encounter in New Orleans later led to a long interest in the people and events concerning the assassination of President Kennedy by Oswald in November 1963. In particular, Mr. Rush developed a theory (along with author Max Holland) concerning the Zapruder film of the assassination and the number of shots fired by Oswald:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/22/opinion/22holland.html?_r=0

[in 1981, Mr. Rush interviewed Maj. Gen. Edwin Walker, who had been targeted for assassination by Oswald in April 1963 - Oswald's shot at Walker missed and Oswald was able to escape undetected.]

Mr. Rush also did freelance news camera work for the major TV networks, including being present and filming some major civil rights events in the U.S. South. One example is the September 29-October 1, 1962 enrollment of James Meredith at the University of Mississippi.
Mr. Rush filmed the event for CBS News. In this online article, Mr. Rush shared his role in the event (the article is about Dan Rather and you need to scroll down to the paragraph "Rather's Tall Tales" to read Rather's role in the Meredith event and the differing memory of Mr. Rush about what Rather was up to at the time):
http://www.aim.org/publications/aim_report/1984/07b.html

During this same period of the early 1960's, Mr. Rush worked as a documentary film cameraman for the Italian director Luigi Vanzi on the Italian "Mondo" film "America paese di Dio." Benito Frattari was chief cinematographer for the film and Gray Frederickson was executive producer. The English title is "So This Is God's Country":
https://letterboxd.com/film/so-this-is-gods-country/

The film is available for viewing on YouTube.

Just type in

"america paese di dio 1967 film completo documentario"

[Film footage by Mr. Rush of one of the 1960's Berkeley riots was included in the 1971 film "Jimi Plays Berkeley."]

Mr. Rush also later worked as a news director in Hattiesburg, Missisippi, and lived and worked in San Francisco, California, before retiring to New Mexico.

An interesting man with a long and varied career.

R.I.P.

• Like 5

Do you suppose there's any chance Mr. Rush and our recently gone

missing FredCDobbs are one in the same?

:(

I'd say all signs point to you being correct here, Kid.

There's too many "coincidences" between this obituary and what Fred shared of his own personal history to us over the years.

(...sorry to hear this)

• Like 2

I'd say all signs point to you being correct here, Kid.

There's too many "coincidences" between this obituary and what Fred shared of his own personal history to us over the years.

(...sorry to hear this)

in which case, I'm VERY sorry to hear :(

Dobbsy was a unique & knowledgeable contributor

• Like 4

Here's hoping that Fred C. Dobbs and Johann W. Rush are not one and the same. I have a strong feeling, however, that we may have seen the last of our Dobbsy.

Thanks very much, Randy, for taking the time with your investigative skills to find this information about news cameraman Rush. He sounds like he had quite a life.

• Like 8

Someone sent a note to me on my hotmail account and asked me if I had seen this.

I had noticed the thread earlier but didn't open it and read its contents until I got the email. And yes, it does sound like "Fred" was Johann Rush. If that's true, at least we know what happened to him and his absence is no longer a mystery. He was one of my most favourite posters...just loved everything he contributed to our message board community. 
  • Like 3

Here's hoping that Fred C. Dobbs and Johann W. Rush are not one and the same. I have a strong feeling, however, that we may have seen the last of our Dobbsy.

Thanks very much, Randy, for taking the time with your investigative skills to find this information about news cameraman Rush. He sounds like he had quite a life.

Would a moderator be able to give us a yes or no on this?  Someone may wish to contact one.

If no, then no harm done.  If yes, people may wish to pay their respects and no harm done either.

• Like 4

I think I am a bit out of the loop here.

What are the connecting links making people think this man is really our Mr. Dobbs.

If it is true though, I am very sorry to hear of his passing.

I think I am a bit out of the loop here.

What are the connecting links making people think this man is really our Mr. Dobbs.

If it is true though, I am very sorry to hear of his passing.

Details he shared in various posts about being a camera operator, the approximate age, the time frame between his last posts and his reported death, the area in which he lived, etc.

I wasn't posting very often during those days, but I was a reader, and enjoyed his posts.

• Like 1

Details he shared in various posts about being a camera operator, the approximate age, the time frame between his last posts and his reported death, the area in which he lived, etc.

I wasn't posting very often during those days, but I was a reader, and enjoyed his posts.

Thanks, Lawrence!

If he took the footage of Oswald in Cuba, I would really have loved to have chatted with him about it.

I always enjoyed his posts too.

Thanks, Lawrence!

If he took the footage of Oswald in Cuba, I would really have loved to have chatted with him about it.

I always enjoyed his posts too.

Johann Rush shot Oswald handing out Fair Play For Cuba leaflets in New Orleans.  I don't recall Fred ever laying claim to that.  But. ... who knows a moderator that they could ask the yes or no question if Fred C. was Mr. Rush?

Would a moderator be able to give us a yes or no on this?  Someone may wish to contact one.

If no, then no harm done.  If yes, people may wish to pay their respects and no harm done either.

pretty sure mods are not allowed to deal in any posters personal ID info.

pretty sure mods are not allowed to deal in any posters personal ID info.

Was Kyle Kersten anonymous?  Before my time on TCM

Was Kyle Kersten anonymous?  Before my time on TCM

old-timers here can confirm, but I believe Kyle voluntarily put out his personal info.... :unsure:

& didn't he also appear as a fan 'guest programmer' segment in 2009 ??

Johann W. Rush (Sept. 5, 1942 - Dec. 12, 2015)

[in 1981, Mr. Rush interviewed Maj. Gen. Edwin Walker, who had been targeted for assassination by Oswald in April 1963 - Oswald's shot at Walker missed and Oswald was able to escape undetected.]

I found the following quote from Fred, posted in October, 2010:

I interviewed Walker in 1981 and he told me the small newspaper that had published the story about him, the ?Overseas Weekly?, was a Communist-run newspaper. . . .

Here's the link to the thread:

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/32448-seven-days-in-may-airing-this-sat-at-noon/?hl=%2Bharvey+%2Boswald&do=findComment&comment=597864

• Like 3

That's some amazing research.  This seems like a reasonable assumption.  I've worked alongside some big names (people you might have heard of) and one thing they had in common is they are fierce about their privacy.

old-timers here can confirm, but I believe Kyle voluntarily put out his personal info.... :unsure:

& didn't he also appear as a fan 'guest programmer' segment in 2009 ??

Yeah we all knew who Kyle was and he was a guest programmer in 2004.

I didn't get along with Fred aka Johann but I'm sad he's gone.

• Like 1

I've always thought Fred C was in his 80's because of his vast experience and recollection of many late 40's and early 50's events.  Mr. Rush was only three years older than I am.  The rest of the information in his bio does match much of what Fred C mentioned in his posts so I'm sadly agreeing with those who think they are one and the same. 

Like the many performers we have already lost this year many of us posters might be nearing "the last roundup" as well.  Perhaps we should have someone in our family or friends circles know how to log in to let the rest of us know when it does rather than wonder why we've just "faded away".  Although we might not know each other by sight there's a bond between us and I think we care about each other even with those we disagree with.  Or am I being too schmaltzy?            

• Like 5

I've always thought Fred C was in his 80's because of his vast experience and recollection of many late 40's and early 50's events.  Mr. Rush was only three years older than I am.  The rest of the information in his bio does match much of what Fred C mentioned in his posts so I'm sadly agreeing with those who think they are one and the same. 

Like the many performers we have already lost this year many of us posters might be nearing "the last roundup" as well.  Perhaps we should have someone in our family or friends circles know how to log in to let the rest of us know when it does rather than wonder why we've just "faded away".  Although we might not know each other by sight there's a bond between us and I think we care about each other even with those we disagree with.  Or am I being too schmaltzy?            

I don't think you're being too schmaltzy. Just human, and a good one at that.

• Like 5

Thank you for your time and research. Fred made many posts about his time in the South when he was young and referenced Evers and the Civil Rights struggle more than a few times. He mentioned New Orleans and his time there the same. From there his time in California was also mentioned more than a few times, too with his final home being in New Mexico. It's a good bet it is Fred, sadly.

Fred loved this board. 

RIP

• Like 3

Sad news.  I had few exchanges with Fred, but you get used to seeing names and it's sobering that his will be here no longer.

Awhile ago a poster (Lorna maybe?) used the term "Dobbsian" in a discussion.  Whether or not fellow posters agree with you, you know you've arrived when a philosophy or school of thought is named in your honor!  I hope that pleased him.

• Like 4