Judyball

How do I add a photo?

64 posts in this topic

BUT, WHERE ARE "PHOTOS"/"PHOTO" I MAY WANT TO ADD? AMONG MY CHIEF "PHOTOS" I WANT TO SUBMIT IS: "BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK"

(NOTE: & kudo's to (GregoryPeckFan, for writing me & in detail on getting this far!?

PLEASE ASSIST ON JUST THAT PART THOUGH?

[...]

I THOUGHT YOU COULD HIT A LINK & IT WOULD HAVE LOTS OF VARIOUS PHOTOS & THEN, JUST ADD IT TO YOUR PROFILE FROM THERE THOUGH

Edited by TCMModerator1
Removed personal information from post

Tonight I did discover Internet Explorer 11 will let you grab the URL from nearly any image you can find on the web. Just right-click the image then left-click properties. Highlight the full URL displayed then right-click it and Copy. This can be pasted into the "Import a photo from a URL" box for avatar additions/changes - - or into the URL box in the post/reply edit window when you post a regular image.

The old fashioned Copy/Paste method is also working again for those with Google Chrome or IE11 (dunno about earlier versions). Find a photo on the web, right-click it, left-click Copy image (Chrome) or Copy (IE11), paste that into a reply window as you would text - the image pops right in, just like the good ol' days.

Now, the only thing that's not working is the Choose File so we can pick an avatar photo from our own files. Those still need to be uploaded to a photo hosting site to obtain URLs which can then be inserted as above.

To KidNab, first I must comment on your "image" of *Thomas Mitchell-(l892-l962)-(easily 1 of "The Studio-System's" finest character actors. In the great 1939 Adventure classic: "0nly Angels Have Wings" (Columbia Pictures) it must rank up there w/Hollywoods all-time great (Adventure) pix! Along w/"C. Courageous" "Gunga Din" "Treasure Sierra Madre" "The Man Who Would Be King" "A. Queen" & others.

However, I'm still suffering difficulties in find a photo, pasting it,etc ?

Where exactly do you find image(s) that you want on your "profile?"

It all seems so darn "tedious" but I really want to do it! & when I read just how to do it, it seems to get even worse for some reason?

If you could, also drop me a line at (jeffshannon50@gmail.com)

Paul1992, has written & that's exactly how I located many fellow cinefans over the years. Plus, we can also correspond about cinema,etc

Do you also collect dvd's, books, memorabelia & such? & do you also see new movies?

& hope to hear from ya' like the others. Even the likes of: Leonard Maltin, Tom 0'Neil-(of goldderby.com), local Tampa Bay critics & even Roger Ebert, almost though. I did write him & Siskel back in the 1980's via reg. mail though. The Tracy Family-(& towards his end, Cyndi Tracy, even hooked up w/Borgnine, & others. (P.S. As you know, you get instant notifications in inbox-(personal e-mail) I also used to write "analysis" of each star, for a guy that owned a "Celebrity Death Mask" website. However, never got a red cent & he at 1st promised that if I wrote these little bio's, I'd also get $paid$ something. Erick Erickson was his name & he did do excellent work on these "Masks'" *Cagney, *Gable, MM, *Bogart, Edward G., Karloff, & many more, including historical figures. I love writing! So, PLEASE contact me. I'm also an *Oscar pundit 7 buff. "THE MORE THE MERRIER" & I sure wish this was an easier task.

Can you tell me which internet browser you are using..  Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, etc..?

See, I'm not very good w/computer lingo & am not certain what the "BROWSER" is?

Like *Spencer & as *Kate said, "HE WAS A MEAT & POTATOES GUY" as am I. Don't even own a cell phone, mainly due to $$$ & they also seem very tedious, but once say, a computer is hooked-up, I'm ok

See, I'm not very good w/computer lingo & am not certain what the "BROWSER" is?

Like *Spencer & as *Kate said, "HE WAS A MEAT & POTATOES GUY" as am I. Don't even own a cell phone, mainly due to $$$ & they also seem very tedious, but once say, a computer is hooked-up, I'm ok

What does the symbol look like that you click to get on the internet? Are you using an Apple or a PC-based machine?

pic_ie128.jpgInternet Explorer

GoogleChromePortable_128.pngChrome

mozilla-firefox.pngFirefox

278-opera-10.5.pngOpera

Chances are the web browser you're using will be started by clicking on one of these icons. The exact set of steps to save an image may vary depending on the browser in use (which is why people have asked which browser you're using).

So what is that Upload from a File -> Browse button sitting there for? <_<

attachicon.giffail.jpg

You're saying that this function is basically broken? Weird, since the site lets you load up local image files into posts - that's exactly what I've down above...

That's what I want to know. I've changed my avatar previously, all of a sudden I can't do it. I have to set up an account with a hosting site to get this done? I now have to get a a descrambler to record movies off TCM? TCM seems to be making it more and more difficult to be a fan. If I weren't corresponding with people via PM, I'd probably not be coming here any longer either.

That's what I want to know. I've changed my avatar previously, all of a sudden I can't do it. I have to set up an account with a hosting site to get this done? I now have to get a a descrambler to record movies off TCM? TCM seems to be making it more and more difficult to be a fan. If I weren't corresponding with people via PM, I'd probably not be coming here any longer either.

Although I didn't come across the thread before I'd asked here, back in June of last year, TCMModerator posted in the Technical Issues sub forum that the local image upload for profile pictures was broken - looks like the situation remains unchanged. <_<

I'm having trouble adding a photo as well. It loads and mentions it as in a custom picture and I hit enter to complete the task but my image hasn't shown up yet. I'm glad other members have mentioned such things as I wasn't sure if we were allowed these questions.

Howdy, ma'am.

First, I would like to say this is not as complicated as it may appear. Once you learn how to do this, the whole process can be accomplished in a mere 20 seconds or so.

The feature of adding a photo which you have stored on your computer has not worked for some time now. The current procedure is as follows:

The photo you use must have a 'URL address'. You can upload any photo you have stored in your computer to an image hosting site, such as TinyPic or Photobucket. You do not have to join or sign-up to TinyPic, but you do have to sign-up with Photobucket (it's free) - there are other sites as well.

You can also use virtually any photo or image you may find on the internet... these already have URLs. Those may require a slightly more complicated procedure - not much, though.

When you post your photo to the image hosting site, they assign it a unique URL address and save it. You then copy that URL address and paste it into the box here at TCM where you add your avatar photo - the box reads: Import a photo from a URL .  Then click on Import  .  Then click Done (if you have adjusted your photo's size).

eypPEOn.jpg

or...

yjNpsbM.jpg

I recently changed my avatar to a nature scene from the photo I had of Gregory Peck since I changed my name to ColumboFan.  I still mention Gregory being my favourite actor in my signature.

I got my avatar from Wikimedia Commons which has photos that are in the public domain.  I looked for a photo that was the right size and shape for the avatars on this site.  Then I copied the URL at the top of the computer screen and pasted it in the URL section as Kid Daab mentioned.

I'm having trouble adding a photo as well. It loads and mentions it as in a custom picture and I hit enter to complete the task but my image hasn't shown up yet. I'm glad other members have mentioned such things as I wasn't sure if we were allowed these questions.

Not sure if you are still having issues, but I was having an issue for the longest time.  As you can see I have figured it out.  With me, my issue was the internet provider that I was connecting to the internet with (google chrome, Internet Explorer, safari, Microsoft edge etc.)  I was trying to complete the process through Microsoft Edge and had absolutely no luck.  I then remembered that I had previously had an issue with edge when I streamed movies from HBO and TCM.  I connected through Google Chrome and problem was completely resolved.  Hope this is helpful.  Good Luck.

Hi, I am trying to add a photo (from the files not personal).  They want a URL, what in God's name is that?  I am a whiz on movie info but a doofus when it comes to the computer.  Please help.

I too am computer illiterate but having problems with uploading a photo for my profile picture. Sweet Elvis, how is it done???? I picked a picture that was at least 200 px by 200 px,

Please scroll down a few posts ↓ 

The easiest way no longer functions. It's been out of order for some time. Below is the hard way.

I know how to do this but I find that the new upgrade (April 2014) makes it difficult to post several pictures in the same post. Earlier you could just put the URL in the reply field and the pictures would appear in the SENT post. But now it's necessary to insert each URL, one at a time, in the image box along the task bar just above the reply box. Is there a faster way to do this (for heaven's sake).

Thanks

-

I know how to do this but I find that the new upgrade (April 2014) makes it difficult to post several pictures in the same post. Earlier you could just put the URL in the reply field and the pictures would appear in the SENT post. But now it's necessary to insert each URL, one at a time, in the image box along the task bar just above the reply box. Is there a faster way to do this (for heaven's sake).

Thanks

-

Yes.

When you copy the image URL from a hosting site, make sure you copy the version labeled:

BBCode (Forums) - or similarly indicated.

You can stack these and paste all of them at once into this reply window as you would text (not using the picture button) and all will appear.

The BBCode (Forums) version has

sbAS51V.jpg

You can add these manually to any URL to accomplish the same.

Next:

Go to the fridge and grab yourself a cold one - you deserve it.

44.jpg44.jpg

lll.jpg

Yes.

When you copy the image URL from a hosting site, make sure you copy the version labeled:

BBCode (Forums) - or similarly indicated.

You can stack these and paste all of them at once into this reply window as you would text (not using the picture button) and all will appear.

The BBCode (Forums) version has

sbAS51V.jpg

You can add these manually to any URL to accomplish the same.

Next:

Go to the fridge and grab yourself a cold one - you deserve it.

Seap%2013jan09%20Serra%20Mesa%20600x.jpg

EDIT Okay, the manual method does work. I'll settle for this if I have to.

The only options I have on Photobucket is as follows:

Email & IM

Direct

HTML

img

I usually use Direct when posting a single (or two) using the image box on the task bar, etc.

Are any of the above equivalent to the BBCode thingie?

thanks

The only options I have on Photobucket is as follows:

Email & IM

Direct

HTML

img

Are any of the above equivalent to the BBCode thingie?

The one labeled img will work. Copy that from each image you want to post and paste it into a Notepad or Word or someplace you can use as computer scratch paper. Copy/paste as many img 's there as you want to post here, then copy all of them at once and paste all of them at once here in a post reply. I just did this using img from Photobucket - see below.

The one labeled img will work. Copy that from each image you want to post and paste it into a Notepad or Word or someplace you can use as computer scratch paper. Copy/paste as many img 's there as you want to post here, then copy all of them at once and paste all of them at once here in a post reply. I just did this using img from Photobucket - see below.

Kepler%20planet%20smaller.jpg

I didn't see anything below but it worked.

The URL was printed out with the picture, placed on top of the picture. Don't want that, so I deleted it. Somehow the picture still showed up. So I don't know what's up with that. I guess I'll have delete that url everytime. Do you know anything about this?

Related question. I was playing around with this and was using PREVIEW POST but I now notice that this option does not always show up. First guess is that you will not get that option if you quote someone in your reply. Is that right?

That's only one image...

Are you using a Windows PC?

I have to bug out for a couple hours. Be back later.

That's only one image...

Are you using a Windows PC?

I have to bug out for a couple hours. Be back later.

Well, if one works then they all will, correct? ... I used the 'img' that you recommended re Photobucket. As you said, simply pasting in the reply box will result in success. So one, so all.

Yes, Windows PC 8.1 .

Please reply if there is anything further I need to know.

Fantastic job, Kid ... I thank you. Very helpful.

laffite

oh btw, I'm going to need the PREVIEW POST function. Absolutely necessary so I can edit mistakes before hitting SEND. It will be an OP so I hope I can get that Preview, I'll check it.

You are welcome, laffite.

I believe you said you wanted to post several pics at the same time. This is no faster, time-wise, but is a bit more organised. First, you'll need to find an app and pin it to your taskbar at the bottom of your screen.

With Windows 8.1 (if I remember correctly) you should have an app from the factory called Notepad. If this is not at the bottom of your screen already, just hit the Windows key in the lower left of your keyboard - then type notepad and hit return (when you're typing you won't see the letters). That should open it.

Now it should show up in your Start menu's recently used app list. Hit that Windows key again to bring back your Start menu - is it there?

Let me know if you've made it this far...

You are welcome, laffite.

I believe you said you wanted to post several pics at the same time. This is no faster, time-wise, but is a bit more organised. First, you'll need to find an app and pin it to your taskbar at the bottom of your screen.

With Windows 8.1 (if I remember correctly) you should have an app from the factory called Notepad. If this is not at the bottom of your screen already, just hit the Windows key in the lower left of your keyboard - then type notepad and hit return (when you're typing you won't see the letters). That should open it.

Now it should show up in your Start menu's recently used app list. Hit that Windows key again to bring back your Start menu - is it there?

Let me know if you've made it this far...

Yes, I have notepad. It opened but I don't see where you pin it to task bar like you normally can (right click and get a menu that gives that option). Perhaps no matter, it's easy enough to load notepad.

Can I use Word? I would rather use Word.

And yes, still not sure how to load all the pics at once.

The order in which the pics appear is critically important.

There are only 17 and it wouldn't be absolutely terrible if I had to do them one at a time.  Much of the original problem is solved because it's much easier to post in the reply box than dealing with the image box at the top.

Doing all at once is easier but if one is out of order can I rearrange them without too much hassle. The order is critically important.

Does posting the urls in one fell swoop mean they have to be in order on PhotoB, because I tried to find how to put them in order there and couldn't figure it out.

I want to get all the urls on a document and then add comments to each picture.

thanks

You can use Word - it's not as accommodating.

It won't matter which order you paste the URLs in your Word document as they can be rearranged later, but doing them in the order you prefer will eliminate that step later.

If your comments are to be added atop the picture, type them first then hit Return - now paste your first URL on the line under the URL - hit Return twice if you want a space to appear between this and the next image. Reverse this if comment goes under the picture.

Repeat this for every URL/comment. The order of photos at PhotoB is irrelevant - only the order in which you copy/paste into Word.

Using Word -

Adding comment at top of photo and adding a space between each image, we're going for this format:

Comment [Return]
URL # 1 [Return]
[Return]
Comment [Return]
URL # 2 [Return]
[Return]
Comment [Return]
URL # 3 [Return]

etc...

When you get all that copy/pasted into Word, you just go to the top menu bar and Select all - then Copy and paste all that here as a post.

When you Preview Post, you'll see very long URLs from PhotoB. Editing parts of them out after Preview is unnecessary - they shouldn't appear in the final post. The actual, functioning URL appears as the image while the remainder is a PhotoB indentifier unique to you which appears as text in Preview only.

How's it going..?

What steps do you take to open Notepad?