Sign in to follow this  
Reaper

Ghostbusters

13 posts in this topic

I guess it's debatable if these are straight-up Horror but I always considered them Horror-Comedies in the same vein of movies like Return Of The Living Dead and the Evil Dead sequels, so I think it fits.

Long-time fan of both movies (including the second which I think is sorely underrated and gets a lot of unfair scorn) and also love the cartoon series and the 2009 video game which essentially is the third movie in game form. Any other fans here? Both movies are among my all-time favorites and I've seen them both endlessly, so rewatchable and entertaining. They're the quintessential Horror-Comedies with just as many laughs as scares and both are infinitely quotable and have so many great moments. The Terror Dogs, library ghost, Stay Puft, Vigo, the river of slime, the Scoleri Brothers, the Statue Of Liberty, etc. both movies are so awesome.

I'm not excited about the upcoming reboot at all which to me reeks of another unnecessary remake of a classic. I'm not even totally anti-remake but this is a film that doesn't need it at all to me. For me the video game is the true third chapter and finale.

• Like 1

Surprised to see there aren't more fans around here. Maybe there's more around who haven't seen this yet.

I didn't see the reboot, I passed after seeing those terrible initial trailers. Completely put me off.

• Like 2

On 8/21/2016 at 11:34 PM, Reaper said:

Surprised to see there aren't more fans around here. Maybe there's more around who haven't seen this yet.

I didn't see the reboot, I passed after seeing those terrible initial trailers. Completely put me off.

Love the original film and saw the remake which is not as terrible as I expected- expected specially if you are Chris Hemsworth fan who is the best thing in it

• Like 1

I still haven't seen the reboot/remake over a year later and am not really interested to, though I'll likely at least rent it from my library someday out of curiousity if nothing else. The original two are still long-lasting favorites of mine.

The remake was really, really awful. And I like several of the ladies in the cast. But it just was not funny. It seemed like it couldn't decide whether to be a flat-out ridiculous comedy or a special-effects heavy summer blockbuster, and in the end it failed at both.

• Like 1

It looked terrible from the previews and not even like it was a parody, more like a mockery of the first two movies and missed the boat as to what made them work so well. And I'm not against having female Ghostbusters at all but the way the new film went about it it was in such a gimmicky, insulting way that if anything re-enforced stereotypes about women rather than presenting a strong, positive portrayal of them.

I rented the reboot from my library but unfortunately the copy I got was bad and stopped playing mid-way through, after the concert sequence. I hate when that happens. I'll probably just try to catch it on Netflix when I start my free trial soon, as I plan to to watch Stranger Things Season 2 there.

What I saw of it, well, it wasn't as bad as expected but not good, either. Jokes fell flat, no scares or humor as with the first two, visuals and ghost designs are very cartoony-looking unlike those of the first two where they looked real. When it came to the new characters, I find I actually didn't mind Erin or Jillian, but could've easily done without the other two. The rampant stereotyping was pretty annoying and even insulting in some instances. I feel I can't fairly rate it as I haven't finished watching it, but so far I'm not impressed at all, though it also wasn't nearly as bad as expected.

The female Ghostbusters were not as funny as the original cast.   Chris Hemsworth as the dumb blonde assistant had a couple of amusing moments.

The reboot fell very flat with the humor. Not once did I laugh and it was never scary like the original two could be as well.

On 1/5/2018 at 3:31 PM, Reaper said:

The reboot fell very flat with the humor. Not once did I laugh and it was never scary like the original two could be as well.

I agree the villain was very weak- reminded me of the plot of "Ghostbusters 2"- the original works because it's written like a straight horror fantasy film- even if you take out the jokes it still works

I thought GB2 worked largely the same way the first one did, managing to be both funny and scary, and Vigo was a far more memorable villain than the reboot's was. I struggle to even remember who he was or what his motivation was.

Seeing as the original and sequel both turn 35 and 30 respectively next year, I'm hard-pressed to believe nothing special is planned for the anniversary.