rayban

Straight Films That Are Actually Gay.

133 posts in this topic

There wasn't a whole lot happening in Brokeback Mountain that it felt a lot like a "bromance" too.

By the way, I went back to my previous post and did some more editing. I am very careful about language here... which gets very tricky when you are directly quoting from a movie that is rated R (X originally) and uses terms that were less offensive THEN than now.

• Like 2

"The Hanging Tree" has all the makings of a really WILD ROMANCE between a much older man, who does not like women and a much younger man, who has absolutely no support system.

But the filmmakers are terrified of the content and skip around the whole issue.

This is also the only supposedly straight film that I know of that makes enthusiastic use of the phrase - "glory hole".

Here, in this context, a glory hole was a suddenly discovered patch of earth that harbored gold nuggets in large clusters.

When the "glory hole" is discovered, all hell breaks loose.

This film throbs with gay imagery that is really and truly priceless - like the scene in the saloon where Dr. Frail goes to play cards and displays Rune in finery that spells out - priceless catch, and you guys should be so lucky.

The Hanging Tree sounds pretty surreal. It's coming up on March 22, so we can all have a gander. There was also a palpable older guy/young neophyte vibe in Yellowstone Kelly with Clint Walker and Edd Byrnes, complete with a very unsubtle sleeping bag scene.

The one that jumps to my mind is Prince's 1986 epic, Under the Cherry Moon. Prince plays a pianist/womanizer on the Riviera in some unspecified era that seems to be an amalgam of Art Deco  and Studio 54. He has a best friend, "Tricky", alongside whom he supposedly carouses with all the available women. It's funny how "Tricky" seems to get most of his attention, though, especially in an extended scene with Prince in and out of a bathtub while "Tricky" hovers nearby, alternating between "just us girls" patter and outright leering. Insane. Add to that the costuming, most memorably Prince's rhinestone cloche, and you have a mind-boggling mess with the text going one way and the subtext doing a complete 180. Prince got away with his gender-bending in music, but film is too literal a medium. I haven't dared to revisit this movie in all these years because I'm afraid it would seem even more of an insult to authentically gay people than it did then.

• Like 1

The Hanging Tree sounds pretty surreal. It's coming up on March 22, so we can all have a gander. There was also a palpable older guy/young neophyte vibe in Yellowstone Kelly with Clint Walker and Edd Byrnes, complete with a very unsubtle sleeping bag scene.

The one that jumps to my mind is Prince's 1986 epic, Under the Cherry Moon. Prince plays a pianist/womanizer on the Riviera in some unspecified era that seems to be an amalgam of Art Deco  and Studio 54. He has a best friend, "Tricky", alongside whom he supposedly carouses with all the available women. It's funny how "Tricky" seems to get most of his attention, though, especially in an extended scene with Prince in and out of a bathtub while "Tricky" hovers nearby, alternating between "just us girls" patter and outright leering. Insane. Add to that the costuming, most memorably Prince's rhinestone cloche, and you have a mind-boggling mess with the text going one way and the subtext doing a complete 180. Prince got away with his gender-bending in music, but film is too literal a medium. I haven't dared to revisit this movie in all these years because I'm afraid it would seem even more of an insult to authentically gay people than it did then.

Since I don't think that I've ever seen a Clint Walker film, I would really like to see "Yellowstone Kelly".

And, of course, you've made "Under The Cherry Moon" sound so interesting.

"The Hanging Tree" had three different directors, and I am wondering what ONE strong directorial hand might've made of it.

The closing scene comes as close to an oral sex moment between two men as you're likely to get in a straight Western.

Dougie, again, I really and truly like what you had to say about "Yellowstone Kelly" and "Under The Cherry Moon".

Very often, in straight films, you will suddenly get "a gay moment" or "a gay sequence" or even "a gay character" that seems to be coming from an entirely different universe.

Recently, I watched a Sonja Henie skating film, "It's A Pleasure" with Michael O'Shea.

Mr. O'Shea's character had a gay butler (Gus Schilling) who seemed to service him in every possible way.

Can I just say, while I don't have a film to contribute, that I enjoy reading this conversation, and if I paid closer attention in film to find these references, rather than in real life where they are plenty of "straights" that are actually gay, I could possibly see where they get it from! (sarcasm)

• Like 2

Can I just say, while I don't have a film to contribute, that I enjoy reading this conversation, and if I paid closer attention in film to find these references, rather than in real life where they are plenty of "straights" that are actually gay, I could possibly see where they get it from! (sarcasm)

Well.. apparently Flower the Skunk in Bambi is "straight" (or at least "bi"), because he later "twitterpates" with what appears to be a lady skunk with long eyelashes and names his offspring "Bambi" in the finale. (This being after the forest fire and springtime coming again.) However he is confident in his skin nonetheless, saying earlier when Bambi was a Little Prince: "He can call me flower if he wants to. I don't mind." He also blushes.

I do think that MAN and his obsession with guns and fire does suggest he is not good at twiterpating like the forest animals.

(Since Hepburn's signature says she doesn't fear skunks, I figured this was safe to add.)

• Like 1

Hate to get too far off topic, but since I mentioned guns in my last post...

I have often wondered if Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio and the other GOP candidates were all traumatized by repeated airings of Rabbit Of Seville on Saturday mornings. You know... with Elmer Fudd starting the picture by blasting his gun like a good NRA member, then ending the film in a wedding dress married to Bugs Bunny and dumped into a cake that was probably baked by a small business denied their "religious freedoms"...

Sorry about my warped sense of humor.

Carry on, as if I didn't interrupt...

• Like 2

"Brokeback Mountain" goes beyond bromance because the two dudes actually have sex- or did you forget the tent scene.   There are a lot of bromantic comedies that have a clear gay subtext just look at "21 Jumpstreet" or "Pineapple Express"

• Like 1

I really need to check out " The Hanging Tree" but from the trailer the Rune kid is clearly gay ( or at least gay coded)  "Under the Cherry Moon" is pure camp - it's hard to classify it as "straight" movie

• Like 1

"Brokeback Mountain" goes beyond bromance because the two dudes actually have sex- or did you forget the tent scene.   There are a lot of bromantic comedies that have a clear gay subtext just look at "21 Jumpstreet" or "Pineapple Express"

I discussed that movie quite a bit on the other thread, INCLUDING the tent scene.

I wasn't expecting you to take my comment that literally. My point was that it was still a rather tame film compared to a great many "straight" romances, but... alas... many moviegoers are not too tolerant of alternative love stories...

• Like 1

I agree with you about contemporary comedies like "21 Jumpstreet" and "Pineapple Express".

But these movies would constitute a much different thread.

A notorious example of this genre (in its' upfrontness, that is) is "I Love You, Man".

i-love-you-man-1024.jpg

(Jason Segal and Paul Rudd are much too close.)

• Like 1

I really need to check out " The Hanging Tree" but from the trailer the Rune kid is clearly gay ( or at least gay coded)  "Under the Cherry Moon" is pure camp - it's hard to classify it as "straight" movie

In real life, the actor, Ben Piazza was a bisexual - he was married to a woman (no children) and spent the last 18 years of his life with a man.

I discussed that movie quite a bit on the other thread, INCLUDING the tent scene.

I wasn't expecting you to take my comment that literally. My point was that it was still a rather tame film compared to a great many "straight" romances, but... alas... many moviegoers are not too tolerant of alternative love stories...

I see your point

• Like 1

"The Hanging Tree" was from Gary Cooper's own production company, Baroda Productions, Inc. and it also happens to be his final film.

During production, Delmar Daves took sick, one of the actors, Karl Malden, replaced him and Vincent Sherman was involved, too.

But I just have the feeling that Gary Cooper was planning on a much more subversive Western, but, in the long run, that fact just did not happen.

The fact that he must've ok'd the casting of Ben Piazza, who is essentially "a love object" is very, very intriguing to me.

In the film, when his female co-star, Maria Schell, makes a play for him, Gary Cooper is very quick to reject her and wants her to go back to her country.

In the end, Maria Schell saves his life and he is grateful to her and cradles her face, but Ben Piazza, who has just taken him down from the hanging tree, is obviously not going anywhere.

Well.. apparently Flower the Skunk in Bambi is "straight" (or at least "bi"), because he later "twitterpates" with what appears to be a lady skunk with long eyelashes and names his offspring "Bambi" in the finale. (This being after the forest fire and springtime coming again.) However he is confident in his skin nonetheless, saying earlier when Bambi was a Little Prince: "He can call me flower if he wants to. I don't mind." He also blushes.

I do think that MAN and his obsession with guns and fire does suggest he is not good at twiterpating like the forest animals.

(Since Hepburn's signature says she doesn't fear skunks, I figured this was safe to add.)

J- I guess my response was deleted, as it referenced the true meaning of "twiterpate" that had little to do with feet. 

J- I guess my response was deleted, as it referenced the true meaning of "twiterpate" that had little to do with feet. 

I always thought Thumper had mighty... BIG... feet. They did get excited whenever his ears were played with.

Hopefully THIS post won't get censored. I myself tend to get many **** in my posts without even realizing it. Each day I learn new words that are taboo. :P

• Like 1

I always thought Thumper had mighty... BIG... feet. They did get excited whenever his ears were played with.

Hopefully THIS post won't get censored. I myself tend to get many **** in my posts without even realizing it. Each day I learn new words that are taboo. :P

Oh the things we tried to get away with at the CFU. 

Shame only two of us got away with social media murder. 

• Like 1

"The Man From U.N.C.L.E." - the recent film version - this film has such a strange gay undercurrent - Henry Cavill and Armie Hammer have such a cantankerous relationship which usually implies a lot of sexual attraction to each other - and, at one point, to pinpoint the matter, Armie Hammer says "I'm a top" and Henry Cavill quickly answers, "I'm a bottom."

These two extremely handsome guys are actually joined at the hip.

But will they ever be able to actually "finalize" it?

• Like 1

"The Man From U.N.C.L.E." - the recent film version - this film has such a strange gay undercurrent - Henry Cavill and Armie Hammer have such a cantankerous relationship which usually implies a lot of sexual attraction to each other - and, at one point, to pinpoint the matter, Armie Hammer says "I'm a top" and Henry Cavill quickly answers, "I'm a bottom."

These two extremely handsome guys are actually joined at the hip.

But will they ever be able to actually "finalize" it?

The film is another long bromantic tease- but Cavil and Hammer do make a handsome "couple" - Cavill specially is a classic movie star   Guy Ritchie the director has to be straight- because neither of these good looking men had a single shirtless scene

• Like 1

"A Thunder of Drums" - this MGM Western is about the clash between two soldiers at an isolated fort that is trying to deal with rampaging Indians.

One of the officers is a hard-bitten veteran, who is played to the max by Richard Boone who believes that "bachelors make the best soldiers".

The other officer is well-connected and green and is played by George Hamilton who immediately gets the eye from Boone's character.

Throughout the film, Boone is so intent on nailing Hamilton to the cross that the obsession seems to actually be a homosexual attraction.

In other words, how can a hardened he-man like Boone express his "love" other than by paying such close attention to Hamilton so he can criticize his every move and tell him in detail about it?

A loving wife couldn't be more devoted.

When Hamilton's secret passion for an officer's lady (Luana Patten) goes off the rails, Boone is there to revel in the break-up and keep tabs on "his man".

In the end, Boone and Hamilton "reconcile" when Hamilton proves himself as a soldier and thus Boone can now invite him to his quarters.

Hamilton can be approached as an equal.

Throughout this film, there is a very strong homoerotic subtext, which is never actually addressed although it is always deeply "felt".

Boone's obsession is LOVE, a fact that he himself might never be able to face.

When, at the end, Hamilton loses Patten, Boone feels free to make his move - and he does make his move by inviting Hamilton into his after-hours life.

Again, he reminds Hamilton that "bachelors make the best soldiers".

"A Thunder of Drums" is a fascinating film - for what it implies and can never say.

The title can be taken both literally and figuratively - as the on-going assault of the Apaches on the cavalry and the fort and as the inner turmoil of a man who is struggling to deal with what he is feeling.

BY LOVE POSSESSED -

4575726_l3.jpg

• Like 1

Throughout the film, Boone is so intent on nailing Hamilton to the cross that the obsession seems to actually be a homosexual attraction.

In other words, how can a hardened he-man like Boone express his "love" other than by paying such close attraction to Hamilton so he can criticize his every move and tell him in detail about it?

This is a good analysis of the phenomenon of bullying by men of other men disguising an underlying sexual attraction. There's a similar situation in Billy Budd in which an innocent (and "pretty") sailor is targeted by a "hardened he-man" officer, the result in that case being that the sailor actually is "nailed to the cross", ie: hung. The officer becomes convinced that Billy's basic friendliness is an attempt to "beguile" him and he punishes Billy accordingly.

• Like 1

This is a good analysis of the phenomenon of bullying by men of other men disguising an underlying sexual attraction. There's a similar situation in Billy Budd in which an innocent (and "pretty") sailor is targeted by a "hardened he-man" officer, the result in that case being that the sailor actually is "nailed to the cross", ie: hung. The officer becomes convinced that Billy's basic friendliness is an attempt to "beguile" him and he punishes Billy accordingly.

Dougie B, thank you - 

and thanks for bringing up an even more intriguing but similar situation in the film version of Herman Melville's "Billy Budd".

The sad fact of Richard Boone's hard-bitten veteran is that even if he did manage to bed George Hamilton's character, he probably would never be able to forgive himself.

But he would still continue to do it - and not talk about it.

The film itself presents such a negative, agonized view of men - without women.

So many of them get blindingly drunk - or, like Charles Bronson's character, fixate on sex with women.

And, of course, the reality is that sex - with men - could not have an unknown experience for these men.