rayban

Straight Films That Are Actually Gay.

163 posts in this topic

45 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I wish TCM would make Dirk Bogarde a Star of the Month. I'm really surprised they haven't-- he was in so many great "A" films and had such a long career.

Yes,  Bogarde has a solid enough filmography but I do wonder if TCM would be able to lease many of his British films.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yes,  Bogarde has a solid enough filmography but I do wonder if TCM would be able to lease many of his British films.

They should have access to some of them. At least enough for a day in August if it's not feasible to give him a month long tribute.

35 minutes ago, don96 said:

I totally agree- even a full day of his films for Summer Under the Stars. Most likely, however, most of his films are  not readily available.  I know that I have had to go to great trouble to see some of his films ( like The Fixer and Providence).

Many of them were on YouTube last fall, posted by someone who was a big fan of his. I watched about ten of them during the course of a week. A few are still on YT. 

• Like 2

I just did a search on YouTube. I found these Dirk Bogarde flicks currently posted, though I'm sure there are more:

Screen shot 2018-03-02 at 7.37.57 PM.png

SEBASTIAN
CAST A DARK SHADOW
VICTIM
APPOINTMENT IN LONDON
THE SLEEPING TIGER
ONCE A JOLLY SWAGMAN
JUSTINE
THE SINGER NOT THE SONG
THE WIND CANNOT READ (one of my faves)
THE DAMNED
THE WOMAN IN QUESTION (probably his best early film...stupendous cast, fine direction from Anthony Asquith)
I COULD GO ON SINGING
THE SPANISH GARDENER (deviates from the original story but still quite good)

• Like 2

Defoe checks out Petersen's package in "To Live and Die in L.A."

• Like 1

"Noah's Ark" (1928) there seems to something beyond a bromance going on between Travis( George O'brien) and Al (Guinn "Big Boy"  Williams) in the Word War I sequence of this still spectacular biblical epic.  Travis and Al share a room even if Travis has fallen in love with Marie ( Dolores Costello)  These two handsome men can't live with out each other and Travis would rather abandon his new bride and join up his buddy on the battlefield. O'brien and Williams do make a hot looking couple and I love the way they are photographed facing each other in medium shot that you expect them to start kissing.

• Like 1

"Venom" (2018) Tom Hardy plays Eddie Brock a very straight reporter whose body is taken over by an alien named Venom.  The alien first is just a masculine dominant voice who becomes Brock's master commanding his actions.  Venom materializes as a muscular black creature who licks the head of his male victims with it's long tongue.  Brock does have a token ex girlfriend Anne played by Michelle Williams but by the fade out is obvious that his true love is the alien living inside his body. 

• Thanks 1

" Island of the Lost Souls" (1932) there is something very queer going on in this classic adaptation of HG Wells' novel and no I'm not just talking about the still shocking suggestions of bestiality. Handsome and probably straight Edward ends up as the guest of demented Dr Moreau and his "partner" Montgomery.  The two older men use the house of pain to turn poor animals into men like creatures; curiously all the manimals are male except for panther girl Lota.  Moreau wants to prove she is human by getting her to mate with Edward- but the way that he eyeballs Edward you would think he wishes to traded places with Lota.

• Like 1

Could there a be a more gay friendly setting than the world of high fashion modeling?  In 'The Eyes of Laura Mars" (1978) Faye Dunaway plays a photographer who has a psychic link to the psycho who is killing her models.  A hot young Tommy Lee Jones plays the detective investigating the case. Jones is straight in the film but I keep getting this sort of gay vibe from him maybe it was the long hair and the 70's fashion.  Rene Auberjonois is Donald; Laura's obviously gay agent. He has birthday party were all the guest are men but he has no love interest except.  Donald even ends dressing up in drag. 

• Like 1

"Johnny Eager" - Mervyn LeRoy - 1943 -

There is a deeply homoerotic attachment between the two male leads - Johnny Eager (Robert Taylor) and Jeff Hartnett (Van Heflin).

Toward the end, Jeff asks Johnny to go away with him to the Rocky Mountains.

Later, as Johnny lies dying in Jeff's arms, he admits that they should have gone away to the Rocky Mountains.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rayban said:

"Johnny Eager" - Mervyn LeRoy - 1943 -

There is a deeply homoerotic attachment between the two male leads - Johnny Eager (Robert Taylor) and Jeff Hartnett (Van Heflin).

Toward the end, Jeff asks Johnny to go away with him to the Rocky Mountains.

Later, as Johnny lies dying in Jeff's arms, he admits that they should have gone away to the Rocky Mountains.

Do you think his sexual frustration is what makes Jeff drink in this movie?