Sign in to follow this  
marcncleo

What would you like to see on TCM?

294 posts in this topic

The "Road" pictures with Hope/Crosby. Topper with Cary Grant. Any pre-code Joan Blondell film.

Ned, I'm so glad that you mentioned the 'Road' pictures. I've been thinking about them this week with Hope's passing. My siblings and I discovered them as kids and couldn't believe how funny they are--we'd only been exposed to Bob Hope as the old guy on the boring specials with the football players.

Since then, I've discovered that up until the early '50s, his movies were FUNNY. My favorite road picture is probably "Road to Utopia" where Bob and Bing go into a Klondike saloon. Bob asks for a lemonade, sees the tough guys crowding in and says: "--in a dirty glass!" The corniest of lines, but the delivery was great and interplay between Hope and Crosby were hilarious in this and almost all the others (not crazy about "The Road to Hong Kong"). The side comments to the audience about one another and Hope's perennial coward character still tickle me.

I'd also like to see "The Lemon Drop Kid" with Hope and Lucille Ball as well as "My Favorite Blonde" with glorious Madeleine Carroll. It would be worth a look to see one of his only 'straight' parts as Eddie Foy Sr. in "The Seven Little Foys" again. His dance with Cagney as George M. Cohan on the tables is a delightful memory. It's no wonder that so many of today's comedians and comic actors based their work on Mr. Hope's earlier forays.

When I was a kid there was a series of "Ma and Pa Kettle" movies issued after the Kettle characters first appeared in "The Egg and I". I would love to see all of these movies again on TCM. I remember that one of these movies had the Kettle's leaving their run down farm and moving to the city, where Ma had to contend with a lot of "new fangled contraptions" she had never seen before(modern appliances), and it was hilarious.

Moira I believe that Marilyn Maxwell appeared with Hope in "The Lemon Drop Kid" which is also a favorite of mine (the sonf "Silver Bells" was introduced in the movie). Lucille Ball appeared with Hope in "Sorrowful Jones" and "The Facts of Life".

Mongo

Of course, Mongo. I haven't seen either movie since I was a kid, so naturally they've blended into one vague, lovely Damon Runyonesque blur for me--I remember liking Marilyn Maxwell as well as Lucy opposite Hope. I shoulda checked IMDb for the facts before putting in my two cents. By the way, there's one more Bob Hope movie for TCM to show: "The Big Broadcast of 1938" with Mr. Hope and Shirley Ross singing the ruefully sentimental--and lovely, song--"Thanks for the Memories".

I'm glad you're back Mongo. I missed your posts. I hope that if you went on vacation, that it was pleasant. :-)

I haven't had a chance to read all the "what would I like to see on TCM" but, I would to see all the movies staring Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes, and Nigel Bruce at Dr. Watson. Please is there anyone else out there who agrees?

"....all the movies staring Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes, and Nigel Bruce at Dr. Watson"

Yes! Yes! Yes! I agree. I would love to see all of them.

Hi, I haven't had TCM very long and this is only my second post - and I haven't read all these but... I would like to see them show a bunch of those Juvenile Delinquent movies from the 50's, like High School Confidential. I can't think of other titles offhand, but that one is definitely a classic!

I also wish they'd show more of the silent movies. It's great getting to see these - too bad they're on so late. I loved The Red Kimono - amazingly frank for the time!

I would like to see some of the old Bowery Boys and henry Aldrich movies. An Andy Hardy fest would also be great,

I would also like to see a Thin Man film fest and all the Charlie Chan fest. There are a lot more I would like to see but this will do for a start.

I would like to see Bobby Darin Movies.....

IF A MAN ANSWERS (Bobby Darin, Sandra Dee)

THAT FUNNY FEELING (Bobby Darin, Sandra Dee, Donald O'Connor)

STATE FAIR (Bobby Darin, Pat Boone)

I think these movies were fun, and I would so like to see them again on TCM.

Although it was made in the 60's, I would still really like to see this film. It was John Ford's last and was called "7 Women". Has anyone seen his film, and if so did you like it?

Chasing Rainbows (in the vault) with Marie Dressler, Jack Benny and Bessie Love..... Anything with William Haines, John Gilbert, or Gloria Swanson.....

August it is. August. 31 days this August, like many Augusts. Oh and how wonderful, TCM is highlighting a different star each of those 31 days. Great idea. What's this? 31 days and 31 stars and TCM didn't see fit to include HEDY LAMARR as one of those featured stars? What? Huh? That's no good. Well, if not a day, how about giving her a whole month? How 'bout it? That's what I'd like to see on TCM!

Paramount, 20th Century-Fox, Paramount, 20th Century-Fox, Paramount, 20th Century-Fox...Especially LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN, FOREVER AMBER, THE TRAIL OF THE LONESOME PINE and all of De Mille's Technicolor epics.

SUN VALLEY SERENADE! Sonia Henie, so what if she can't act. She is adorable! John Payne is the male lead. Milton Berle is the hapless band manager. It is one of two films in which Glenn Miller and his orchestra appear. Songs include: "MOONLIGHT SERENADE", "IN THE MOOD", and "CHATTANOOGA CHOO CHOO." The Nicholas Bros. and Dorothy Dandridge perform a great jazzed up version of CHOO CHOO also! "I KNOW WHY AND SO DO YOU" is also a very sweet tune. Not much of a plot but it is an enjoyable escapist musical comedy.

In a Lonely Place. A rarely seen and little known Bogart film, but in my opinion one of the five best that he ever made. Tense, suspenseful, with Bogart at his very best.

If you liked Suspicion, you'll love this one.

Nedlato, I second your choice of SUN VALLEY SERENADE-not only for Sonja Henie but also because I love that opening sequence when Lynn Bari is singing and John Payne's group takes over the radio studio and they instantly go into "Why does..." (can't think of the title). A second feature would be ORCHESTRA WIVES--which in a way is a sequel since it also stars the Glen Miller Band and the Modernaires. I like this one even better because it features Betty Hutton's much more talented and dynamic sister--Marion--as the blonde bombshell who steals the show when she joins the group in "I've Got a Gal in Kalamazoo." AMC played these two goodies quite often during their golden days.

I'd like to see some of Judith Anderson's lesser known pictures... like Blood Money ('33) and Lady Scarface ('41).

First post!

I first got into TCM about two years ago, after finally getting cable upon moving to college. It's by far my favorite cable channel, BUT I'd love to see them add in:

* More comedy shorts: the big names (Keaton, Lloyd, Laurel and Hardy, etc.), but also some of the more obscure sound-era stuff that's basically impossible to see. I'd love to finally get a chance to check out a "Joe Doakes" comedy, or see a Charley Chase short, for example.

* Non-comedy shorts: "Crime Does Not Pay," etc. Again, I'd love to be able to see some of this stuff.

* More foreign films: Just as TCM is pretty much the only cable channel to show golden-era Hollywood features, they're also practically the only one that'll touch anything with subtitles. I'd definitely love to see more TCM Imports added to the schedule, and not just the obvious stuff, either ("The Bicycle Thief," etcetera).

* More pre-code stuff. I still kick myself for taping over "Kongo" and "Hell's Highway". None of this stuff is available on video (or probably will be) and it's great to see it broadcast.

* More non-western "genre" films - film noir, horror, sci-fi. I love it when some goofy, obscure B-movie pops up, or a lost noir classic like "Act of Violence."

* More silents, documentaries, and independent/poverty row features.

* I'm sure some people will hate me for this one, but I don't mind seeing titles from the 60s and 70s *if* it's stuff that deserves to be seen, and, more importantly, can't be seen elsewhere. Once in a while they'll show something like "The Wrath of God" or "The Bed Sitting Room" or "Lord Love a Duck," and I'd prefer to see more movies along those lines than "F.I.S.T." or "Car Wash." In September, for example, they're showing "Going Home" with Robert Mitchum - this type of thing is OK by me.

Specific titles - some of these might've been shown already, and some of these are probably out of TCM's legal reach, but here goes-

THE BIG CARNIVAL - someone else mentioned this one

WISE BLOOD - pushing it timewise, as it's from the late 70s, but I've always wanted to see this John Huston movie

NIGHTMARE ALLEY

GABRIEL OVER THE WHITE HOUSE

HEROES FOR SALE

THE LOST ZEPPELIN

BLACK MOON (1934) - this sounds like it might even top "Kongo"

HELLZAPOPPIN'

MASSACRE w/ Richard Barthelmess

NIGHT WORLD (1932)

I MARRIED A COMMUNIST

CRIME WAVE

M (51 remake)

First post!

I first got into TCM about two years ago, after finally getting cable upon moving to college. It's by far my favorite cable channel, BUT I'd love to see them add in:

* More comedy shorts: the big names (Keaton, Lloyd, Laurel and Hardy, etc.), but also some of the more obscure sound-era material that's basically impossible to see. I'd love to finally get a chance to check out a "Joe Doakes" comedy, or see a Charley Chase short, for example.

* Non-comedy shorts: "Crime Does Not Pay," etc. Again, I'd love to be able to see some of this stuff.

* More foreign films: Just as TCM is pretty much the only cable channel to show golden-era Hollywood features, they're also practically the only one that'll touch anything with subtitles. I'd definitely love to see more TCM Imports added to the schedule, and not just the obvious ones, either ("The Bicycle Thief," etcetera).

* More pre-code features. I still kick myself for taping over "Kongo" and "Hell's Highway". Almost none of these titles are available on video (or probably will be) and it's great to see them broadcast.

* More non-western "genre" films - film noir, horror, sci-fi. I love it when some goofy, obscure B-movie pops up, or a lost noir classic like "Act of Violence."

* More silents, documentaries, and independent/poverty row features.

* I'm sure some people will hate me for this one, but I don't mind seeing titles from the 60s and 70s *if* it's stuff that deserves to be seen, and, more importantly, can't be seen elsewhere. Once in a while they'll show something like "The Wrath of God" or "The Bed Sitting Room" or "Lord Love a Duck," and I'd prefer to see more movies along those lines than "F.I.S.T." or "Car Wash." In September, for example, they're showing "Going Home" with Robert Mitchum - this type of thing is OK by me.

Specific titles - some of these might've been shown already, and some of these are probably out of TCM's legal reach, but here goes-

THE BIG CARNIVAL - someone else mentioned this one

WISE BLOOD - pushing it timewise, as it's from the late 70s, but I've always wanted to see this John Huston movie

NIGHTMARE ALLEY

GABRIEL OVER THE WHITE HOUSE

HEROES FOR SALE

THE LOST ZEPPELIN

BLACK MOON (1934) - this sounds like it might even top "Kongo"

HELLZAPOPPIN'

MASSACRE w/ Richard Barthelmess

NIGHT WORLD (1932)

I MARRIED A COMMUNIST

CRIME WAVE

M (51 remake)

Hello bbeloverac, and welcome to the boards. You have a lot of great suggestions. I've seen some of the "Crime Does Not Pay" shorts from time to time in between films, but unfortunately, and as you probably already know, TCM doesn't schedule the shorts, they're always hit or miss. I agree with you when it comes to Pre-Codes, I can watch them anytime. They had a great Pre-Code festival a few months back, and of course they still play them, usually in the morning. And I know they've shown "Gabriel Over the White House," but I'm not sure about the other titles you listed. Once again, welcome!