derick

Johnny Weissmuller

29 posts in this topic

For suesueApplegate. I met Johnny Weissmuller, too. New Haven Ct on March 10 1970. He was invited to the Yale campus to speak at a Tarzan film festival. During the screening of Tarzan the Ape Man, black students rioted when the scenes of the blacks being whipped and mistreated on safari, were shown. On the other side of the theater, my brother and I saw some students guiding JW up the aisle to the lobby. We scrambled out to the lobby to head them off and help if needed. We walked right up to his little group and offered to stand between him and the crowd if they broke out into the lobby. For my childhood hero, who was at that time, 65 years old, I was ready to go down fighting and my brother would be right by my side. Instead they took us to the student lounge and we all sat around a table drinking champagne and Johnny regaled us with stories of the old days making the Tarzan movies. I sat next to him and he autographed 2 photos that I brought with me. It was an hour or so of my life that I will never forget. bOb.

• Like 1

What a great moment! Sounds like such fun. He was a very nice man,

jolly, cheerful, and visiting with the kids. When I met him, it was either

1962 or 1963.