Sign in to follow this  
Guest Alix

I Just Saw....

268 posts in this topic

Dr Ed, how good it is to chat about pre-Codes with someone again! This board has been virtually forgotten and abandonned. And TCM's even showing some obscure pre-Codes this month!

Back to Lowell Sherman...I would love to see more of his work, both his acting and directing. I enjoyed BATCHELOR APARTMENT and I enjoy his wit and easy charm. One thing I always appreciate about TCM is that "forgotten" actors of yesterday can be kept alive. Did he work for RKO? I don't think he was on MGM's salary. Too bad, because if he were, we'd see more of his work.

Not sure about his studio. But he directed Katharine Hepburn in Morning Glory and maybe a Maw West film as well.

So that gives us Paramount and RKO. Constance Bennett was at Warners for a while. I'll have to check it out on IMDB.....

I just saw, from Fox DVD, the 1934 film Born to be Bad with Loretta Young and Cary Grant. Boy, is Loretta bad in this film!! This is perhaps her best naughty pre-code role! I highly recommend picking it up. The transfer is good and it's only $10. If it sells, maybe Fox will put some of its other pre-codes on DVD. Maybe not, but you never know!!

I saw BORN TO BE BAD TOO, and Loretta really was bad! And the one who's really rotten was that brat of hers.

Who played the man who owned the bookstore? I really liked his performance. The movie is pretty short, though, barely an hour I think.

Come on Fox--more pre-Code releases!!

Missed this one---sounds good. But I DID see 1930 Let Us Be Gay with Norma Shearer and Marie Dressler. Marie was funny as always and Norma has this great opening sequence as a DRAB housewife!! Amazing. She looks DREADFUL! Rod La Roque was pretty bad, but Hedda Hopper, Sally Eilers, and hunky Raymond Hackett were ok. Gilbert Emery and Tyrell Davis were a bit much. The film is Shearer's and she's wonderful. Anyone see it?

Anyone see LONELY WIVES which starred Edward Everett Horton in a dual role? Sexy and funny pre-code film also boasted Laura LaPlante, Esther Ralston, and Patsy Ruth Miller. And wonderful Maude Eburne in a funny role. Not bad at all......

The guy who owned the book store in "Born to Be Bad" was none other than Henry Travers, Clarence from "It's a Wonderful Life"!

I've been catching up on my tapes and just saw a Warren William pre-code, "Goodbye Again" from 1933! This movie was great! Genevieve Tobin really stole the movie for me; she was really sexy! (Joan Blondell wasn't a push-over either). I loved the sexual implications! This morning I watched the remake of this film, 1941's "Honeymoon for Three." It just wasn't the same without the sex! For me, Ann Sheridan was the only reason to watch the inferior re-make.

LET US BE GAY--loved it. I thought Norma was pretty brave to have appeared looking like a 1930's frump in this one. I also want to commend the performance of Marie Dressler--but then when WASN'T she wonderful?

LONELY WIVES--a delicious pre-Code. This what I'm talking about when I saw air out those vaults and dig something out that hasn't been seen in years!

GOODBYE AGAIN--I am beating myself over the head for missing this one! I forgot to set the VCR, and I can't believe I missed this one. And a William Warren movie, at that!

HENRY TRAVERS--Of course! I can't believe I couldn't place him! He was good as "Fuzzy." He sure seemed to love Loretta and her rotten offspring in BORN TO BE BAD.

I saw "Night Court" a couple of weeks ago and I loved it. Walter Huston, Noel Francis, Anita Page and Phillips Holmes are great in it. I was especially impressed by Holmes' performance and screen presence in this particular movie. Noel Francis' naughty character is a delight!

I finally watched THE HALF-NAKED TRUTH, which I had taped off of TCM months ago. It was a lot of fun! I had never seen any Lupe Velez movies before--she certainly was the "Mexican Spitfire!" Lee Tracy was wonderful as usual as a fast-talking shyster. I would recommend it for pre-code fans.

Sandy K

Thanks for the insight on Gregory LaCava's "Half-Naked Truth" Sandy; I also taped it long ago and still have not seen it. In fact, I've seen only a couple of films featuring the fiery Miss V?****, the amusing "Cuban Love Song" and "Hollywood Party". One film of hers, I'd love to see is "The Wolf Song" opposite Gary Cooper.

I'll have to keep an eye out for those Lupe Velez films you mentioned, feaito. Was she a Warner's or MGM star? Maybe I should ask Mongo on his Ask Mongo thread!

Sandy K

I think that Lupe V?**** was not identified with any studio at all, except for later in the early 1940s when she began with the "Mexican Spitfire" films, at RKO Radio.

From the beginning of her career in 1927 she made films for almost every Studio: United Artists, Path?, Universal, Paramount, MGM, RKO Radio; Warners, etc. I think that most probably she free-lanced or some independent producer had her contract, but definitely she wasn't identified with any Studio at all, like Garbo or Gary Cooper were at that time.

As far as I know Sandy, her first films were made in the United States, during the late Silent Era (1927-1928). She starred in a couple of films in Mexico, but later in her career; in fact, her last film was a Mexican Release.

On the other hand, in Mexico, at the beginning of her career, she was very popular in the Stage and then she went to Hollywood to have a Film Career.

Also, Lupe Velez was one of the few Mexican or Spanish Speaking Actors who had an important career in the American Cinema during the 1920s and the 1930s, the others being Dolores del R?o and her second cousin Ram?n Novarro. We could also add Spanish Antonio Moreno, who was famous during the 1920s.