Sign in to follow this  
Guest Alix

I Just Saw....

268 posts in this topic

Guest Marc

It did seem like Cagney has a crush on Nick! Given the relationship between Robinson & Fairbanks in LITTLE CAESAR I wonder if there is a pattern with these Robinson "gangster" characters!

Guest Alix

Yeah, Cagney's character shares a house with Nick the Barber, wears his clothes, looks adoringly at him... I'd forgotten about the relationship between Robinson and Doug Jr. in LITTLE CAESAR. You are right though. It is subtle, but definitely there.

Guest Young, Cristiane

Kay Johnson faded from the scene, married the director John Cromwell, and became the mother of James Cromwell, the actor.

Guest son, jery

Did anyone catch the Barbara STanwyck festival Monday night? I thought "Illicit" was pretty much of a dog, story wise and action wise. It really was a "talker." That's all they did. But--loved all those great fashions and wisecracks. Am half-way through watching "Night Nurse." Fascinating. But Barbara's hair--who in the world let her do this role with her hair all astray? And all those scenes of her and Joan Blondell undressing. A hoot!

Guest annick

Yes, I have TCM and I think Stanwyck did some GREAT pre-codes. But the HOTTEST one she did is "Babyface" , if you see that, you'll see her at her top form. The film itself is racy by today's standards, even though you can tell the ending is a hastily added on to appease the censors at the time. Another great pre-code she did was "Ladies they talk about", an early women's prison film!!! Enjoy the rest of the festival, I have the program guide and it looks like TCM picked her all time BEST ones! Annick

Guest Marilyn

Jery son...I watched the Barbara Stanwyck festival Monday night. It was the first time I say "Illicit". True it did lack for action, but the message I think was that Barbara didn't want to fall into a predictable state of marriage where you eventually get on each others nerves, etc. She wanted to keep her relationship fresh and desirable, and resisted marriage as long as she could...that is Illicit. Then after she married and the sparks dwindled, she chose to live apart from her husband to try to rekindle the flames. But by doing so, she paid a dear price with almost handing her husband over to another woman. She ended up going back to her husband's house & what society would accept. I loved the beautiful fashions of the day too! I stayed up for Night Nurse and The Miracle Woman, both quite good and I would love to discuss each one in more detail with anyone who saw these. In all these movies Barbara's characters require depth and strength which she delivers superbly. .

Guest Alix

I'm just about a third of the way into ILLICIT, and will have to suspend judgement until I see the whole thing. I love NIGHT NURSE! I can't believe how many times we see Blondell and Stanwyck in their undies! Even better is Clark Gable as "Nick the Chauffer." What a great character. He's so evil it oozes from his pores! THE MIRACLE WORKER was okay, but not my favorite Stanwyck film. I especially like the opening scene where she tells off her father's congregation. I like the line where she says she needs to open the windows to let some fresh air in!

Guest K, Sandy

I taped NIGHT NURSE and THE MIRACLE WOMAN, but I haven't had a chance to watch them all the way through yet. I'm looking forward to BABY FACE this Monday--I've always wanted to see this one!

Guest Alix

Oh Sandy, are you in for a treat! Actually, BABY FACE was the movie that got me hooked on pre-Codes! I saw this and thought ohmigosh, how did they ever get away with this in 1932! Stanwyck is absolutely fabulous in this movie. And the music--St. Louis Blues--is so perfect for it. You'll love it!

Guest son, jery

BABY FACE with Barbara Stanwyck. Woooo, Babs really snapped her garters in this one and ended up on easy street. Wish we could find the original, uncut version. Nice struttin' Miss Stanwyck!

Guest Alix

No, No, Jery! Actually she ends up right back where she came from, but at last she finds **love**. This is one of my favorite pre-Codes, and ohmigosh if an uncut version existed, wouldn't it be naughty? On a related note, if two women were fighting over one man, and one woman was Barbara Stanwyck's "Baby Face," and the other was Jean Harlow's "Lil Legendre" from RED HEADED WOMAN,who do you think would get their man??

Guest son, jery

I think Babs would still come out on top, even if her enemy was Jean Harlow. Jean looked like a beautiful sister-type. I can't see her standing up to that ferocious, cold look of Babs. This gal must've have had some brutal experiences in her life to have that kind of ability to look mean and hard. She's told of those grubby, brutal days as a chorus gal. I loved her Orry-Kelly creations, especially the white gown with that huge V shaped neck in "Baby Face." Also that suit she wore with the fur cape and hat. And woooo, George Brent was so hot looking!

Guest Alix

The words "hot looking" and "George Brent" should never be used in the same sentence. I'm sorry, this guy just doesn't do it for me. I think I read that he was Bette Davis' favorite leading man! I just can't believe it! He got to play with all the beautiful ladies--Stanwyck, Kay Francis, Bette Davis...

Guest son, jery

George Brent always came across as passive and bored and flat until I saw him in "Baby Face." I caught a glimpse of what must've driven the women crazy. Ruth Chatterton married him during the filming of "Female" (this is a pre-code sizzler you'll simply have to see and Ruth is great). Granted, Brent wasn't the most animated hunk on the screen back then. As a physical speciman, I'd like to have been Babs in "Baby Face" and found out for myself what it was about this dark Irishman.

Guest Alix

Has TCM ever shown FEMALE? I've read about it, but haven't ever seen it.

Guest son, jery

"Female" is a must see. Ruth Chatteron is great. And those knockout Orry-Kelly outfits. She goes through a stable of handsome, 30s men. Maybe even George Brent. I checked a copy of it out of our library. The ending is a cop-out, though. Same thing that happened to "Baby Face' happened to "Female." The censors demanded it.

Guest Lorusso, Ed

Yes, TCM has shown Female and several other Chatterton movies. Female was one of her best because it was not her seemingly endless variation of Madame X and has a modern, feminist slant. As I remember it, it sort of presages all those Rosalind Russell 40s comedies where the woman "tops" the man......

Guest son, jery

I just taped three all-time great horror pix: "Village of the Damned, "Children of the Damned," and "The Monster" from TCM last night. Can hardly wait to see'em. TCM is fantastic! Only problem: I'm collecting so many video tapes from TCM that I don't have any more room.

Guest K, Sandy

I watched MATA HARI last night. I must say that I was a bit disappointed. Pretty slow going, and I didn't see much chemistry between Ramon Navarro and Greta Garbo. She had more chemistry with Lionel Barrymore, surprisingly! Navarro just didn't seem on the same level as Garbo...she was a WOMAN and he was like a 19 year old college student in appearance and acting technique. Potential, but not as fully realized as Garbo... I expected a bit more sex, quite frankly, for the time and subject matter. Garbo's dance was a little clumsy, but sensuous at times. The big winner in this film was the FABULOUS costumes by Adrian! Loved the draping and slightly Cossack look. Gorgeous.

Guest son, jery

Sandy, you are so very perceptive as always, and I completely agree with your take on "Mata Hari." Ramon Navarro was like a child-boy. A boy toy. Lionel was really an adult guy and I can imagine he and Garbo talking on the sidelines. yes, this movie was slow, but I love studying all those shadowy apartments, flickering candles, especially Garbo's boudoir. And those great close-ups of la Divina! I saw this on a big screen here in NYC back in l980. The packed theater simply gasped everytime Garbo's face filled up the screen!

Guest K, Sandy

Yes, it's incredible how beautiful Garbo is. Those cheekbones are to die for! All those skullcaps that she wore really accentuated her wonderful bone structure. We only see her hair briefly, in the scene in her bedroom when she's brushing it. Gosh, I WISH that I could see Garbo on the big screen! What a treat that would be.

Guest Lorusso, Ed

Just watched 2 Barbara Stanwyck delights--So Big and The Purchase Price, both with George Brent; the former with Bette Davis!! I had also seen the awful 50s version of So Big with Jane Wyman and Charlton Heston. Stanwyck's version is fast-paced and seems to leave out lots, but she is amazing. Was there anything this woman could not do?????

Guest K, Sandy

I agree, Ed! I just watched my tape of BABY FACE, and I'll tell ya, that gal could just switch emotions on a dime. I have never seen her give a bad performance or have an untruthful moment on film. She is fantastic.

Guest son, jery

Jeanette McDonald was the star of "Three Daring Daughters" last night on TCM. Wow, did she ever look fabulous in Technicolor and those Helen Rose outfits! Every outfit was a show-stopper, especially the emerald-green suit with mink stole and hat with feathers. Did anyone else see la Diva? Her hair, the color of fire, knocked me out. Her make-up was so beautifully done and her voice! So sad that her "type" of movies were out of fashion.

Guest o, rita

I love technicolor. But, do you believe some people don't like it. My sister likes the current color process as it's more natural; she does not like technicolor. I noticed that the "Iron Butterfly" was definitely aging when she made Daughters. It seemed she didn't look too happy playing a "mother role".