Sign in to follow this  
Jillian13

The Bat

10 posts in this topic

The Bat is the only Vincent Price film I'll ever watch, It was his best in my opinion. I hope TCM will play it again soon.

First of all, let me say that I agree with both of you. I love "The Bat", although it is more of a murder mystery than a horror film. And it has all the basic ingredients of a true mystery: a creaky, old house in the country, damsels in distress, a murderer on the loose, and I love Agnes Moorehead's character in this one---the mystery writer.

I also agree that Vincent Price appeared in some wonderful non-horror movies. In the 1940's he was in some great movies from 20th Century Fox, such as "Leave Her to Heaven" and "Dragonwyck." Also, don't forget that he was in "The Ten Commandments."

Terrence.

I don't care for the films he did later on, such as Mask Of The Red Death, or House On Haunted Hill, they were just plane stupid. And as I remember The Bat only got two stars, and Mask Of The Red Death got four stars, which it didn't deserve.

House of Long Shadows is great fun, as are The Abominable Dr. Phibes, its sequel, and Theatre Of Blood. House Of Usher and Tales Of Terror stand out as well. The Last Man On Earth is worth viewing. House On Haunted Hill. Several others. Give 'em a chance.

I did enjoy the house of wax, especially the seen when Vincent Price's face falls

off. The House Of Wax and The Bat or good.

"Theater of Blood" is a very good Vincent Price horror movie. I like "Fall of House of Usher," "Pit and the Pendulum," "Tales of Terror," "Masque of the Red Death," "Conqueror Worm" and "Abominable Dr. Phibes" as well.

He was a very enjoyable actor, and he did good work on TV and radio as well.

I'm glad you reminded me about "Theatre of Blood." I had forgotten all about that one. And I really do love the film. It has a great cast and and intriguing plot. But I hate the title. I think it's misleading and may have kept potential customers away because it sounds too gory.

Terrence.

As for "Theater of Blood," the DVD I have of it makes a big point of talking about how much blood was used in one scene (taken from "Cymbelene" I think.) I also remember Robert Bloch, author of Psycho, thought that "Theater" was too nasty. (Of course, in a few years, the type of horror film epitomized by "Theater of Blood" would be extinct.)

I guess that was just the style for titling stuff in the Seventies. Bloch wrote a multi-story film for Amicus, "The House That Dripped Blood" which had no gory scenes, but Amicus was in love with the title and applied it to the film.

Price's early horror films like "The Bat", "House on Haunted Hill", "The Tingler", and "House of Wax" are his weakest films of the genre in my opinion. I much prefer "Masque of the Red Death", "Pit and the Pendulum", "Witchfinder General", "The Haunted Castle", and "Tomb of Ligiea". I also far prefer the silent version of "The Bat" to the late '50s version.

I saw the silent "The Bat" and ultimately found it boring.

BUT the early talkie remake "The Bat Whispers" of 1931 with Chester Morris as the Bat is terrific fun. Directed by Roland West, it eliminates some of the characters from the silent "Bat" and thus moves faster. Given the fact that it is an early talkie, the camera movement in "Bat Whispers" is extremely impressive. This is a film that deserves to be better known.