Sign in to follow this  
inglis

How did you all get into classic movies what is you story?

223 posts in this topic

Hi Peggy 24 .Its nice to see some new stories here. I have not been here in quite some time I am so glad people are still coming to share how their love of movies came to be .There is some beautiful stories here ,if you get a chance to read please do .

Hi Vertigo22,I myself have just gotten into Hitchcock's older films. There was many I had not seen and I am enjoying them , nice to have you on board .I have not seen this thread in awhile .I was surprised to come on today and see it up and with some new stories right on !

Heck most of these movies weren't classics when I first saw them. They were either in the theaters or on one of the less popular TV channels, the show called the million dollar movie. One of the things I have noticed is that no matter how many times you may watch a movie, you can always find something that you overlooked. How many people noticed that in The Magnificent Seven, Steve McQueen shakes the cartridges before inserting them in the rifle when he is riding shotgun on the hurst.

I adore old movies, it takes you back to a simpler and gentler time. People didn't have to own everything under the sun to be happy. Love and marriage were more important. We didn't have the distraction of television, video games and the internet. Love thy neighbor and do unto others really meant something to that generation.

I began watching American Movie Classics until it started to go the same route that I see Turner Classic Movies going, playing twenty year old movies instead of the rare black and whites that we don't get to see anywhere else. I haven't watched AMC in over ten years now. It worries me that there will be no where left to go to watch these lost and soon to be forgotten films.

Cat,

Not sure if you are aware, but it's TCM's annual 31 Days of Oscar salute all this month and the first three days of March.

Films from all eras are highlighted if they were nominated or winners.

Starting March 4th, TCM returns to its regular format.

And not a minute too soon, Izcutter.

Although it's nice to have a chance to catch my breath and watch some other stuff on DVD and laserdisc that I hadn't had time to watch before February. :)

same here....it all started with those classic universal horror movies when i was little!! there 's nothing like them and all the kids in my family grew up with them and had each film and character memorized.

one day my older brother brought home an old paperback autobiography of hedy lamarr's 'esctasy and me' from work. reading that book was quite an eye opener for a 12 year old...

hedy was so beautiful i began looking for her in film books at the library. that opened me up to classic hollywood films and other film stars, and was the start of by book, video, & dvd collection.

and of course living in los angeles so close to hollywood landmarks added something to the mix....seen valentino, monroe, demille, hayworth, power gravesites over the years, seen old hollywood studios... even the spot where theda bara filmed her silents (sunset blvd. & western ave) for fox before the studio moved to century city...,valentino's old house, mae west's apartment building (she owned the whole building--she was alive back then imagine passing by her building thinking she's up there!) seeing foot & hand prints at the old hollywood chinese theatre..... realizing these films were made in the city i live.

film is not just entertaintment , it's my favorite art form, and classic filmsare exactly that...classic!

Classic movies are just a thrill too watch! I started watching them as a child, going to movie theater with my parents. Then films started turning up on TV later on around the mid-60s...and I saw the early films of Jimmy Stewart, John Garfield, Jean Arthur and so many more on TV. To me, "The Godfather" is a masterpiece!! And it certainly is a classic! "12 Angry Men....a "smaller" movie but so brilliant!! My husband enjoys them, and they even catch the attention of my sons for a few minutes when they're breezing through the house. Brilliant writing and actiing is what makes a classic move!! Thanks for asking!!

> "How many people noticed that in The Magnificent Seven, Steve McQueen shakes the cartridges before inserting them in the rifle when he is riding shotgun on the hurst. "

Great eye, kujokitty!

Not many folks HAVE noticed that in "Mag7"; I did a few years back, but I've been transfixed by watching this penultimate western classic 3 or 4 times a year for the last 20 or so; it's definitely on my Top 10 list!

As a journeyman shooter, and a novice historian, I deduced that this little touch of realism reflected an authentic mistrust of shell-packing in the backwaters of the 19th Century West. A slight, soft chatter from inside a shaken shell meant that it still had enough dry, hard pellets inside for a dependable "killing spread" when fired at an armed adversary. Whether this came from star or director, it was a smart affectation, especially for a pro gunslinger!

Another little touch of authenticity is when you see a rider loosen the cinch on his mount before the horse is allowed to drink, and then readjust it before mounting back up (horses' stomachs expand swiftly, though briefly, when taking water).

Little touches, but they all add up, don't they?

I loved watching those old horror flicks too when i was a little kid way back when, dracula, frankenstein, etc., its the only time i had a nightmare ( about crawling hands under my bed, and i woke up needing to pee!!!). Many years later i was watching an old Edward G. Robinson movie at 3:00am, and i got hooked with old movies, and with Robinson as my favorite actor. The movie was "The Sea Wolf".

I have always loved the old movies, some I have seen in the theaters when they were first released and some when I was a kid and sick at home and all we had was a 13" tv in black and white. It brings us back to the basics and the love scenes didn't need to be flesh showing the mystery of love making was implied and that's all you needed! I collect the old movies such as Marty, A tree grows in Brooklyn, How Green is My Valley, The Quiet Man. These are true gems that the stories never get stale or too old to be told.

My grand children are now watching and they too are becoming believers!

I was introduced to old movies from my Grandmother since the age of 13. I will watch an old picture in a MINUTE before I will watch a recent film. (Also, my Grandfather used to be a double for John Gilbert and I am related to Johnny Weissmuller piqued my interest about old pictures as well!)

Shonna Smith

(A&E's "Family Plots")

Excellent topic & great responses!

Years ago, (in college), I took a film class. Two films lingered on my mind, long after the credits rolled. THE SOUTHERNER starring Betty Field & Zachary Scott & Alan Renais classic LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD started me on my way.

After that, I started to rent as many classics as I could. And certain powerful images will ALWAYS stay with me...

The "interrogation" scene (Gene Tierney's gorgeous face in glowing light) in LAURA.

The "I love you but you'll never know" scenes between Ingrid & Cary in NOTORIOUS.

"Dancin' cheek-to-cheek" with Ginger & Fred in TOP HAT.

James Cagney "puppet-like" dancing in YANKEE DOODLE DANDY & staggering to his demise in THE ROARING 20s.

Lana Turner in all white from head to toe in THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE.

Greta Garbo hurling herself under a train in ANNA KARENINA.

Emil Janning's tragic expression at the end of BLUE ANGEL.

"Nick & Nora" Charles strolling arm-n-arm (walking Asta) in THE THIN MAN.

John Ford's intimate & unforgettable landscape shots in WESTERNS.

Henry Fonda's stone cold blue eyes in ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST.

and MANY MANY MANY MORE!!!!!!!!

Wow! what a thread. I can't point to one thing or even two. We didn't have a TV for much of my childhood and when we did it was some old hand-me-down B&W. My first real big deal old movie for me was The Wizard Of Oz. It did give me nightmares I must admit - that wicked witch of the west!

I've always preferred B&W and the oldies. Maybe because I could escape to another place and time. I'm not sure. I HATE commercials and usually the stations that carried the old movies were the local stations that had fewer commercials.

I love the way an old film can have just a few actors and maybe a set or two and keep me enthralled! Maybe the lack of color is less stimulating to my eyes so I can focus on content? Maybe the fact that there are so few "special effects" that the actors have to work harder to hold me? Maybe it's that the old films have a quality that's missing in most of todays films? I don't know.

In the early eighties when my kids were young we had cable TV. Wow it was so cool - no commercials! Even the old commercials are better than the news ones. (jingles that inform rather than blatant B.S. that implies I can't think for myself.) Anyway, I would watch AMC and the Disney channel (which back then didn't have commercials,) and Disney played the good old stuff - now I never watch it. I was single (divorced) then, and my now husband, would call me on the phone late at night while I was watching AMC with some old B&W on. We phone dated like this for months.

We did marry, and being in the mist of change - collage, kids, jobs......I moved and didn't have cable for years. Finally, in 2001 we hocked up satellite . I was SO bummed to discover what they had done to AMC!!! and Disney!!! BUT, fortunately, I discovered TCM so I could watch all my beloved old films and discover new ones.

A while back my husband wanted to lump our services into a package (comcast) that would mean switching to cable - what! no TCM!? Forget it!!! no way!!!.... I won!!! well, he knew when he married me....... :)

I get teased, rolling eyes, oh brothered, and you name it all the time. Nice to know I'm not alone!

I'm especially interested in the pre-codes. We have a great movie place here that has many of them. I would love a complete list if anyone knows of such a list. I watched the special on the pre-codes a while back and I wrote down a bunch of them.

I love the clothes the women wore in the forties - classy! I'd actually wear one of those dresses!

I'm also amazed all the time how the old films content is so relevent to our times. I guess that's a tribute to their quality.

I was chronic with the 420, then I switched the channel one day after watching "Enter the Dragon for the 150th time, I turned to TCM. There was a Ma and Pa Kettle movie on. Well needless to say I was so baked that I found this movie to be of great amusement. Now many years later, I no longer burn, however I still watch classics. Although for the record the Kettle family was much more humorous when I viewed it under the influence of Ganja.

I first discovered classic movies in my seventh grade history class. We were learning about the Civil War and in the south watching Gone With the Wind is a must. I fell madly in love with Clark Gable. I wanted to see more of his movies so I went to my local Blockbuster. I went on to discover Jeanette MacDonald, Susan Hayward, Loretta Young, Spencer Tracy, Jane Russell, Robert Ryan, Jean Harlow, Greer Garson, Deborah Kerr, Ava Gardner, Grace Kelly, Eleanor Parker, Lana Turner, Alexis Smith, and Marilyn Monroe just from him. Thanks Clark for introducing me to the finer things in life like a good classic movie.

I got into them because my parents are into them. I was six when my father rented the disaster film Hindenburg, and eight when I saw Father Goose. My father also introduced me to the classic musicals (namely by way of The Sound of Music and Brigadoon). My mom adores black-and-white films, and she had me watch The Ghost and Mrs. Muir with her when I was seven. And I've loved classic movies ever since (although I would hesitate to call Hindenburg a classic).

That's great tanman! (about your Grandchildren watching)

Hey, I actually paid my eleven year old Daughter to sit down and watch one of my favorite movies of all time with me last week; " Gone With the Wind"! :)

Ha! Ha! Fortunately, my Daughter loved it so much she thanked me for introducing her to these kinds of films and she said I didn't have to pay her!!!

(It all was a joke anyway, but IT WORKED, DIDN'T IT? Ha, Ha, Ha!)

How did you all get into classic movies what is you story?

I have no idea! Until I was 35 years old, I never ever ever watched old movies. I would change the channel as soon as I saw anything black and white!

But TCM turned me on to old movies. It's a fantastic channel, giving us these classics with no commercial interruptions.

I watched King Kong (1933) in late 2003. I realized that I needed to record the name of any movie I watched so I could know in the future whether to tape it or not. So I can say that since that time, I have watched 286 old movies, almost all of them on TCM. My favorite so far is "Mr. Lucky (1943)", which I have probably watched 30 times.

My parent's made my brother, sister, and I watch Gone With The Wind when I was young-I loved it-and my brother and sister thought it was pure torture! I have watched them ever since. My parent's also always liked them, and still do. Mom is a big Robert Mitchum fan, and my dad always liked James Dean.