Sign in to follow this  
Vintagefilms4ever

Una Merkel News!

20 posts in this topic

For all Una Merkel fans: a new biography about Una Merkel has just been released. It is entitled Una Merkel: The Actress with Sassy Wit and Southern Charm. Richly illustrated and scrupulously researched, it is the first full-length biography to chronicle this amazing lady's life and career. It is available from BearManor Media and Amazon.

http://www.bearmanormedia.com/una-merkel-the-actress-with-sassy-wit-and-southern-charm-softcover-edition-by-larry-sean-kinder

http://www.amazon.com/Una-Merkel-Actress-Sassy-Southern/dp/1593939027/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454173143&sr=8-1&keywords=una+merkel

• Like 1

Very glad to hear about this.  I am a huge Una Merkel fan and have often thought how much

I would love to see her honored as a SOTM.  Ok, ok, so she usually played in support.  She had

a long and great career and she's a star in my book (no pun intended.)

Lydecker

• Like 2

I am all in favour of morphing SOTM into Actor of the month so TCM incorporates other greats into a program of films where there characters, skills add to the movie and without their presence the movie would have been much less.  Think the following:

Eve Arden and Jack Carson:  Mildred Pierce

George Sanders: Picture of Dorian Gray

Charles Coburn: The More the Merrier

Herbert Marshall: The Letter

James Gleason: A Guy Named Joe

Dame Edna May Oliver: Pride and Prejudice

I could go on and on, but no need to bore the reading public

• Like 3

I am all in favour of morphing SOTM into Actor of the month so TCM incorporates other greats into a program of films where there characters, skills add to the movie and without their presence the movie would have been much less.  Think the following:

Eve Arden and Jack Carson:  Mildred Pierce

George Sanders: Picture of Dorian Gray

Charles Coburn: The More the Merrier

Herbert Marshall: The Letter

James Gleason: A Guy Named Joe

Dame Edna May Oliver: Pride and Prejudice

I could go on and on, but no need to bore the reading public

Totally with you on this. Actor of the Month is a great idea and would allow many of the wonderful character actors to be honored.

Lydecker

Totally with you on this. Actor of the Month is a great idea and would allow many of the wonderful character actors to be honored.

Lydecker

While I agree with replacing SOTM with something that features character \ supporting actors I recommend TCM feature more than one such actor each month.  Otherwise it would take years to get to some very deserving actors.  Maybe there could be a theme that linked various actors.  

Of course if it did 'take years' this would lead to more threads at this forum, where folks wonder when one of their favorite character \ supporting actors will be featured.

At first, I thought this was going to be a thread about Una being named Star of the Month in May. 

Count me among the admirers of such a talented, charming actress.

• Like 2

Love her!

I only watched the beginning of that 1936 film yesterday with wooden Robert Taylor and Eleanor Powell, so I could see Una as his secretary.

Then I turned it off to watch Forensic Files.

She's always entertaining.

• Like 1

Another highly recommended Una Merkel movie is "They Call It Sin" (1932). She is great as Loretta Young's friend. And Una gets the delightful final scene - don't miss it!

The movie turns up on TCM pretty often.

• Like 2

Another highly recommended Una Merkel movie is "They Call It Sin" (1932). She is great as Loretta Young's friend. And Una gets the delightful final scene - don't miss it!

The movie turns up on TCM pretty often.

30s Young pre-code movies are some of my favorite and with Merkel adding support I'll have to check this one out.  Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

On Saturday, January 30, 2016 at 3:21 PM, lydecker said:

Very glad to hear about this.  I am a huge Una Merkel fan and have often thought how much

I would love to see her honored as a SOTM.  Ok, ok, so she usually played in support.  She had

a long and great career and she's a star in my book (no pun intended.)

Lydecker

I love Una Merkel also. She has a cute, quirky wit in alot of her films. In Broadway melody 36, I love the scene in the office between Una, as secretary of Broadway director Bob Gordon (Robert Taylor) and Eleanor Powell, who was old friends with Taylor back in Albany. I love the dialogue between Eleanor and Una, when Eleanor stumbles while telling Una, "is this Bob Gordon of Albany's office?" Una: "no, this is the New York office" Eleanor: "no, I mean is this the New York office of Albany, I mean the Bob Gordon of Albany office?" Una: "so you want to see Bob Gordon in Albany office... oh great, you got me saying it", (phone rings) Una to Eleanor before answering: "don't go away, I'll unravel you in a minute". I loved that scene.

• Like 1

On Tuesday, February 02, 2016 at 4:28 PM, CaveGirl said:

Love her!

I only watched the beginning of that 1936 film yesterday with wooden Robert Taylor and Eleanor Powell, so I could see Una as his secretary.

Then I turned it off to watch Forensic Files.

She's always entertaining.

I love Una and Eleanor in Broadway melody 36, see my response above to lydecker about it.   Una is very good again in Born to dance, with Una and Eleanor teamed up again. Una has some quirky lines there too, such as when dealing with her Navy husband, Sid Silver who she doesn't care for (that she'd met 4 years earlier in a dance marathon).  I also liked Una in 42nd St, she has alot of funny lines there, and her constantly flirting with that short assistant director so she can get her way. She also looked kinda different in 42nd St than in Broadway melody 36 and Born to dance. Not just younger, since 42nd St came 3 years earlier, she just looked kinda different altogether.

It is available from BearManor Media and Amazon.

I am always extremely wary of anything from Bear Manor Publishing. The books are often self published "fan" type books of unprofessional quality. To clarify, I mean they are often poorly written, not well edited or even printed well. They command a rather high price because they are small, limited printings, unlike what a major publisher offers.
But anyone looking for a "picture" book or personal ramblings about a lesser known Hollywood star will be delighted with Bear Manor's offerings.

I love Una Merkel, she is so charming and quirky, and beautiful. She has a semi kinky and witty since of humor, a great charm, and she is beautiful in her films. She had great chemistry with Eleanor Powell in "Born to dance" and "Broadway melody 36", she teamed up well with lovely Ginger Rogers and Ruby Keeler in "42nd street", she was great with the amazing Jean Harlow in "Red headed woman", and she had a sweet and touching role as Abraham Lincoln's first wife in 1930's "Lincoln" and her death scene was tear jerking. She was also great in later older roles such as the aunt in 1961 "The parent trap" and a funny scene at the police station when she lost her dog and they thought she was inquiring a missing persons report.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2018 at 6:51 AM, TikiSoo said:

It is available from BearManor Media and Amazon.

I am always extremely wary of anything from Bear Manor Publishing. The books are often self published "fan" type books of unprofessional quality. To clarify, I mean they are often poorly written, not well edited or even printed well. They command a rather high price because they are small, limited printings, unlike what a major publisher offers.
But anyone looking for a "picture" book or personal ramblings about a lesser known Hollywood star will be delighted with Bear Manor's offerings.

I totally agree.  So many actor bios are so poorly written and edited.  Often getting them is more a case of "it's better than nothing."  I have held off on buying a couple of bios (Una Merkel and George Brent) for that very reason. But, I think the publisher knows they will never reach the library shelves so you are pretty much screwed if you are interested in even some of the content.

Bear Manor does publish some good tomes. Scott O'Brien's for instance, but yes, a lot of them are of questionable quality and very high in price. (I wondered why that was). But in many cases, its all that's available on that particular subject...........Sadly, I cant find any of them in local libraries, so if I want to read them I have to pay up!!!

We probably have "Kitty" Kelly to thank for a lot of bios not being worthwhile.  Some that she wrote, and others trying to outdo her sense of sensationalism.

Sepiatone