Sign in to follow this  
LawrenceA

Favorite Animated Films w/o Disney

23 posts in this topic

List and/or discuss your favorite animated films excluding those from Disney, to make it more interesting/difficult/eclectic. There are other posters who are expert on the animated film genre who could probably illuminate things better than I.

Here are my favorites, determined by my imdb ratings:

1. Team America: World Police (2004)

2. Akira (1988)

3. Waltz with Bashir (2008)

4. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984)

5. South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (1999)

6. Priness Mononoke (1997)

7. The Iron Giant (1999)

8. 9 (2009)

9. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (2009)

10. A Scanner Darkly (2006)

11. Wicked City (1987)

12. Vampire Hunter D (1985)

13. The Plague Dogs (1982)

14. Paprika (2006)

15. Charlotte's Web (1973)

16. Monster House (2006)

17. Over the Hedge (2006)

18. The Secret World of Arietty (2010)

19. Fear(s) of the Dark (2007)

20. The Professional: Golgo 13 (1983)

Paul Terry cartoons (love Farmer Gray!), Fleischer cartoons, Popeye, etc. 

But if you meant features (and I know you did), The Triplets of Belleville (2003) comes to mind.  

• Like 1

I'm glad you're including the Studio Ghibli films despite the studio being owned by Disney.

Here are mine in no particular order.  Note: nostalgia may play heavily into my choices.  Lol. 

1. Kiki's Delivery Service

2. The Secret World of Arrietty

3. How to Train Your Dragon

4. Shrek 

5. Shrek 2

6. Charlotte's Web (1973)

7. The Lego Movie

8. From Up on Poppy Hill

9. The Simpsons Movie

10. The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie (It was mine and my husband's first date in 2004)

11. Kung Fu Panda

12. The Land Before Time (Perhaps the saddest animated film ever)

13. All Dogs Go to Heaven

14. An American Tail

15. The Last Unicorn

16. The Transformers: The Movie

17. Rainbow Brite and the Star Stealers

18. The Care Bears Movie

19. Fern Gully: The Last Rainforest

20. Anastasia 

• Like 1

Speed, I haven't seen HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON, but we discussed that elsewhere before. I haven't seen the SpongeBob movie. Also haven't seen FROM UP ON POPPY HILL, or the last four on your list.

Speed, I haven't seen HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON, but we discussed that elsewhere before. I haven't seen the SpongeBob movie. Also haven't seen FROM UP ON POPPY HILL, or the last four on your list.

Well the last four on my list are movies from the 80s and early 90s that I used to watch in preschool and elementary school and I loved them and watch them now out of pure nostalgia.  Mickey Rooney does a voice in "The Care Bears Movie."  Lol.  In 'Fern Gully', there are a lot of celebrity voices.

If you liked 'Nausicaa', Princess Mononoke, and The Secret World of Arrietty, then you'll like From Up on Poppy Hill.  It's also directed by Hayao Miyazaki.  I also recommend Ponyo and The Cat Returns if you haven't seen those.

I don't know about you, but I always watch the English dubs of the Miyazaki movies and I have found that the English dubs are very well done.  I think this is because Studio Ghibli has the actors actually record their dialogue to scenes from the actual films and they write the dialogue to fit the movement of the character's mouths.   

• Like 1

I am shocked and appalled that there has been mention of movies of: Hayao Miyazaki but no person has listed what I feel strongly is his best movie: My Neighbor Totoro (1988). I feel it it truly his most wonderfully innocent movie.

I like also very much: Howl's Moving Castle (2004). I believe that this is exemplary in particular as it is based on hack writer: Diana Wynne Jones' novel.

• Like 1

Other than what I listed, I have also seen SPIRITED AWAY, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, and KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE. I've heard good things about that newer one, THE WIND ALSO RISES or something? Anyone see that one?

Other than what I listed, I have also seen SPIRITED AWAY, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, and KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE. I've heard good things about that newer one, THE WIND ALSO RISES or something? Anyone see that one?

The Wind Rises is good. It's about a young man who wants to be a pilot but he lacks good enough eyesight to cut it as a pilot. He ends up designing planes instead, including ones used by the Japanese in WWII. It was a good film.

• Like 1

I am shocked and appalled that there has been mention of movies of: Hayao Miyazaki but no person has listed what I feel strongly is his best movie: My Neighbor Totoro (1988). I feel it it truly his most wonderfully innocent movie.

I like also very much: Howl's Moving Castle (2004). I believe that this is exemplary in particular as it is based on hack writer: Diana Wynne Jones' novel.

I have seen Howl's Moving Castle and I really enjoyed it. I haven't seen My Neigbor Totoro but my husband brought a copy with him upon our marriage almost five years ago. I suppose I should watch it. I'll admit that I used to not be the biggest Anime fan, but Miyazaki's movies are growing on me. I may have to give the genre another try.

I've heard good things about that newer one, THE WIND ALSO RISES or something? Anyone see that one?

It is excellent! It is semi-factual also.

• Like 2

I haven't seen My Neigbor Totoro but my husband brought a copy with him upon our marriage almost five years ago. I suppose I should watch it. 

I urge you to correct that oversight as quickly as possible. It is a lovely movie. Very touching.

• Like 1

A quick-and-dirty list in no particular order compiled between other duties:

Corpse Bride (2005)

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

The Secret of NIMH (1982)

Chicken Run (2000)

Ice Age (2002)

The Cat Returns (2002)

Castle in the Sky (1986)

Neznaika na Lune (1997)

The Snow Queen (1957)

The Night Before Christmas (1951)

• Like 2

My Top (non-Disney) Animated Films

1.  The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn (2011)

2.  Kung Fu Panda (2008)

3.  Coraline (2009)

4.  Team America: World Police (2004)

5.  Yellow Submarine (1968)

6.  Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989)

7.  Waltz With Bashir (2008)

8.  Howl’s Moving Castle (2004)

9.  Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011)

10.  Watership Down (1978)

11.  Arthur Christmas (2012)

12. The Rescuers Down Under (1990)

13. Corpse Bride (2005)

14. Antz (1998)

15. How to Train Your Dragon (2010)

16. Chicken Run (2000)

17. Frankenweenie (2012)

• Like 1

I don't see nearly as many animated films as the rest of you do, so I do not have to look up any site to make my decisions:

Here are 5 favourites of mine alphabetically:

Cars

Finding Nemo

Shrek

Spirited Away

Up

• Like 1

My Top (non-Disney) Animated Films

16. Chicken Run (2000)

I am very happy to see this in some other poster's list. I am near to love with this movie. 

I feel that it works on many levels. Children with no exposure to classic movies enjoy the story greatly. Those of us who are familiar with classic prison-camp movies enjoy the parallels. The movie cited most often as source is: The Great Escape (1963) but I see elements of several other: WWI and: WWII movies.

• Like 2

4. Shrek 

I did not include this movie in my list because I did believe that it was: Disney. I have checked now and found that it is: DreamWorks. 

I like this movie very much but I must wonder how many parents of young children were aghast at some of the innuendos.

• Like 1

Here are some more that I enjoyed that I haven't seen listed yet:

The Pirates! Band of Misfits (2012)

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (2001)

Beowulf (2007)

Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)

Ghost in the Shell (1995)

Some strange choices:

1.) " The Tell-Tale Heart"--(1953)--Animated short film narrated by James Mason.  Available to see on YT.

2.) "Who Killed Roger Rabbit?"--(1988)--"I'm not bad--I'm just drawn that way."

3.) "The Nightmare Before Christmas"--(1993)

4.) "Slick Hare" (1945)--Bugs Bunny short film set in Hollywoods' Mocrumbo, where dinner is $600.00 a plate--Elmer Fudd's a waiter, & Humphrey Bogart a displeased customer.

5.) "Mississippi Hare" (?)--Bugs plays Scarlett on a riverboat--Not PC.

• Like 2

It would be remiss of me to discuss animation and not speak of the great: Wladyslaw Starewicz. He created many techniques which became standard in: stop-motion animation. 

I feel as others do that: The Mascot (1933) was his greatest work and was seminal in the field of combining live action with stop-motion animation. It is available for viewing in full for free on: YouTube.

His stop-motion animation movies which I feel are most wonderful and are available for viewing in full for free on: YouTube are:

The Insects' Christmas (1913)

The Revenge of a Kinematograph Cameraman ( 1912 )

The Tale of the Fox (1930)

The Frogs Who Wanted a King (1922)

Prekrasnaya Lyukanida (1912)

The Dragonfly and the Ant (1913) is available also on: YouTube. It is drawing-animation.

Any person who wishes to search for further information concerning this excellent film-maker should have in mind that: Latinization of: Cyrillic is not an exact science. You might find his name presented also as: Ladislas Starevich, Vladislav Starevich or Владисла́в Алекса́ндрович Старе́вич.
  • Like 4

I like Bakshi's 'American Pop' (1981). It ends rather weakly, but is enjoyable through the first 4/5's and has some terrific music.

• Like 2

I like Bakshi's 'American Pop' (1981). It ends rather weakly, but is enjoyable through the first 4/5's and has some terrific music.

Bakshi's films were a real mixed bag. Some of the things he did were very inspired and interesting, while the next scene would be cheap and moronic. His films worked best, for me, while baked.

Of Bakshi's output, I've seen:

Fritz the Cat

Coonskin a.k.a. Street Fight

Wizards

The Lord of the Rings

American Pop

Fire and Ice

Cool World

They're definitely unique, and he had a singular voice in animation.  While his LOTRFritz the Cat and Wizards are the most well known now, I think American Pop may have been his most ambitious and his best. 

• Like 1