Sign in to follow this  
Earl1

English Movies

43 posts in this topic

I think that there should be more English movies shown. There are so many good ones.

Earl Paikin (Canada)

Earl, I'd love it if TCM could show more English movies. They've featured some of the Ealing comedies, David Lean films, a few of the kitchen sink school from the early '60s, and Pressburger and Powell's collaborations within the last year, but I'd love to see much more. I guess I'm greedy! Here's a few that would delight me:

The Cruel Sea: great and touching wartime story with Jack Hawkins

The Heart of the Matter: Graham Greene tale of the fall and redemption, (sort of) of one man, played beautifully by Trevor Howard.

Passport to Pimlico: terribly funny story about a rundown part of London that finds that it's a separate country. Stanley Holloway as Everyman as conman

Whiskey Galore: another amusing comedy

Whistle Down the Wind: a simple, beautiful story of children confusing a fugitive for Christ. With an excellent, under-rated Alan Bates.

Tunes of Glory: wonderfully rich study of a group of Scottish soldiers in peacetime. Great performances by John Mills and Alec Guinness

I'd also like anything with Alistair Sim, Margaret Rutherford(other than the Miss Marple movies, please), Ian Carmichael, or even Wilfrid Lawson! My, I am greedy!

Earl, let's go to Suggest a Movie and start typing!! I'd love to know which English movies you'd like to see.

"The Fixer" with Alan Bates. It's an MGM film, but for some reason, TCM doesn't seem have the rights to show it, at least in the USA.

I would really love to see The Shooting Party with James Mason, Edward Fox, John Gielgud, Gordon Jackson, Robert Hardy and many more very talented English actors. It is one of those kind of movies the English do so well, rather like an earlier and better Gosford Park. Anybody know if it is out on DVD or when it might be?

'Green For Danger' with Trevor Howard and Alistair Simm.

'The Family Way' with John and Hayley Mills.

The first two 'St. Trinians' movies.

The first few 'Carry On' movies (before they got too dumb and turned into episodes of the Benny Hill Show). The tragic Kenneth Williams was one of Britains funniest commediens.

'Brighton Rock' with Richard Attenborough.

Anything, of course. by Powell and Pressburger.

'I'm All Right Jack' with Peter Sellers.

'A Taste of Honey' Rita Tushingham should have won an Oscar for this movie, but wasn't even nominated (Bastards ! ).

There are dozens of others 'Hobsons Choice', 'Billy Liar', 'Georgie Girl'. But these will do for now until I can think of some more.

Don't show any of these movies during June or July, besause the FIFA World Cup is on and I'll be watching that. Just looked at the groupings on the FIFA site. England should sweep through to the next round. USA 'might' squeak through behind Italy. Australia is grouped with Brazil and Japan - Ouch !

What the hell happened to Canada ?

Regards

Great choices Metry, Movieman & Lizembrie! Perhaps in honor of the World Cup, the excellent Bend It Like Beckham could appear on TCM!

Does anyone ever long to see the Doctor in the House series? I like it because I've a soft spot for Kenneth More and James Robertson Justice. Dirk Bogarde was interesting in light comedy before his career took a very different turn starting with Victim(1961) when his distinct dramatic talent took off, (though his fifties dramatic work is always worth a look too.).

I'm with you On Kenneth More. There was something about him that I thought made him an ordinary type of man. I mean that to be most complimentary. I thought he was quite good in "A Night To Remember", "Sink The Bismarck" (especially the scene where he fears he has lost his son.) Even saw his version of "39 Steps."

He is very good in an unspectacular way. His characters seemed to be very good decent men. I don't know anything about him personally but I always enjoyed his work.

Note: I only remember the "Doctor In The House" tv series. Remember Bogarde from The Servant? Never saw much of his comedic work, hopefully will get the chance.

Message was edited by:

Me

TCM showed Life and Death of Colonel Blimp last month. Being a Powell/Pressburger fan, I was thrilled to finally be able to see this work.

Here are some of the Brittish films that I have in my film collection;

I Know Where I'm Going (1945) D. M. Powell, E. Pressburger

The Ruling Class (1972) Directed by Peter Medak

Cromwell (1970) Directed by Ken Hughes

Carlton-Browne of the F.O (1959) Directed by Roy Boulting, Jeffrey Dell

The City of the Dead (1960) Directed by John Llewellyn Moxey

Darling (1965) Directed by John Schlesinger

The Maggie (1954) Directed by Alexander Mackendrick

The Horse's Mouth (1958) Directed by Ronald Neame

Billy Liar (1963) Directed by John Schlesinger

The Man in the White Suit (1951) Directed by Alexander Mackendrick

The Captain's Paradise (1953) Directed by Anthony Kimmins

The Mutations (1974) Directed by Jack Cardiff

Two-Way Stretch (1960) Directed by Robert Day

The Queen of Spades (1949) Directed by Thorold Dickinson

Dead of Night (1945) Directed by Alberto Cavalcanti, Charles Crichton........

Once you get hooked on them, you just want more and the old Hollywood stuff just don't cut it.

Hello,

"Seance On A Wet Afternoon".

Excellent performances by Kim Stanley and Richard Attenborough. Kim Stanley's performance nominated for Best Actress,U.S. Academy Awards.

I purchased the DVD of "Seance On A Wet Afternoon"--good video, acceptable audio, no DVD extras.

Rusty

TCM does show a lot of British films - last September, they ran a 100th Birthday tribute to Michael Powell, there are four Ealing Studio films they show quite frequently, they've starting showing some of the Angry Young Men movies like The Entertainer and This Sporting Life, plus a lot of other Olivier, David Lean, Noel Coward, and early Hitchcock films.

I do wish they'd show the Ealing films they don't air very often like The Man in the White Suit and the aforementioned Passage to Pimlico. The Horse's Mouth would be fun to show as well. I caught another gem starring John Mills that I wish they'd show again called Escapade (1955).

Message was edited by:

path40a

There are so many fine British films, I find it difficult to choose only one. I have to break them into categories:

Favorite British Hitchcock: The 39 Steps (1935) [American favorite: Vertigo]

Favorite Powell and Pressburger: I Know Where I'm Going! (1945)

Favorite Olivier/Shakespeare Film: Richard III (1955) [Hamlet is a close second]

Favorite British Dickens Adaptation: Great Expectations (1946) [American favorite: David Copperfield]

Favorite British Theatre-to-Film Adaptation: The Importance of Being Earnest (1952)

Maybe TCM could run Powell and Pressburger's The Small Back Room (1948). I haven't seen that one in many years, and I remember it being an excellent film.

The only ones i agree with are best Dickens adaptation, though RICHARD III probably is better than HENRY V one a technical level.

What's always been fascinating about British cinema is that its sensibilities are just slightly different from Hollywood's, in ways that extend from writing and acting to cinematography (you always know when you're watching a British movie from the 1930s or 40s, even before anyone opens his/her mouth).

> though RICHARD III probably is better

> than HENRY V one a technical level.

I'm not sure why I prefer Richard III to Hamlet or Henry V. I love the idea of having Henry V begin at the Globe with broad, crowd pleasing gestures and then move into the open-spaced, self-assured production Shakespeare's audiences might have imagined. I also love Hamlet's black-and-white photography, even though Olivier later admitted it was a result of an ongoing feud with Technicolor, and not a creatively inspired decision. Maybe I relish the notion of seeing Olivier, Gielgud, and Richardson together in anything Shakespeare. I do think Olivier brought a maturity to his portrayal of Richard III that isn't quite there with the other two roles. I enjoy all three of his self-directed Shakespeare films, so I don't see one towering over the others.

> you always know when you're watching

> a British movie from the 1930s or 40s,

> even before anyone opens his/her mouth

Similarly, you can often identify the studio when watching a Warner Bros., MGM, or Paramount film from the 1930s or 1940s. If the sets don't give it away, the music probably will (sometimes a single note is enough with a Warner Bros. film).

DavidE

http://www.classicfilmpreview.com

I'm not sure how they'd fit with a theme, but three relatively modern British movies I like and would love to see scheduled sometime are "Waking Ned Devine", "The Full Monty" and "Billy Elliot."

All of the films mentioned thus far deserve to be seen over and over. The recent Michael Powell series was most welcome, and his films should be shown more often. I'd love to see The Horse's Mouth again - I haven't seen it since I was in college, and maybe now I'm old enough to appreciate it.

I'd like to add a vote, too, for The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, a film that had a thunderbolt of an effect on me when I first saw it (I was in high school), and which made me a lifelong admirer of Tom Courtenay.

We have a common language and a common love of film, so let's share it! An occasional TCM "British Cinema Night" would get my attention.

The Horse's Mouth was one of the first DVDs that I bought. It's a favorite movie of mine. It's available as one of the Criterion Collection. Check it out. :)

Would like to see the following again: BELLES OF ST. TRINIANS with Alastair Sims, L-SHAPED ROOM starring Leslie Caron, LOSS OF INNOCENCE aka GREENGAGE SUMMER with Susannah York, Danielle Darrieux and Kenneth More, THE GOOD DIE YOUNG with Gloria Grahame and Laurence Harvey.

I liked The Sporting Life.Think this was Richard Harris' 1st film.he was supposed to be the next Brando,but...well the film is superb,he in it and Rachel Roberts as well.Excellent!!I also liked The Spy who came in from the Cold...is it British???Oh yeah, and Hot Millions,is it??Maggie Smith and Peter Ustinov were quite the pair.And a comedy with Tony Randall and Robert Morley as Pink Panther type detectives.They were so funny!!! It was made in the Early 60's I believe.Anyone know thw Name??

Loss of Innocence (1961) Susannah York, Kenneth More

Gypsy Girl (1966) Hayley Mills, Ian McShane

Far from the Madding Crowd (1967) Julie Christie, Terence Stamp

In the 1970's, a SF-Bay Area independent station used to air a lot of British movies. I miss seeing those films, many of which are not yet available on DVD. I will watch anything with Laurence Olivier, James Mason, Oliver Reed, Stanley Baker, Stephen Boyd, Peter Finch, Alan Bates, et al.

It's called THIS SPORTING LIFE, Michelle (and please leave one-space gaps after puctuation marks; your postings are very hard to read without them).

Thanks.