Gary Cooper, naked, in an early silent, "Wolf Song" (1929) -

CpjWNW7WEAABf6i.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rayban said:

He must've stood up at some point.

More Cooper -

tumblr_o8bzc9PqEk1qbrbodo3_500.jpg

And when he did stand up, it looks like he dressed to the left.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DougieB said:

And when he did stand up, it looks like he dressed to the left.

Or maybe not...

Gary Cooper Collection - Box 2 The Westerner Cooper leans on rock.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, DougieB said:

Or maybe not...

Gary Cooper Collection - Box 2 The Westerner Cooper leans on rock.jpg

I like whatever it is the right hand is doing - holding it down?!

When you've got it,,,,,,

Not a fan of the hair. All it needs is a spit curl. But I'm a huge fan of the attitude.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, rayban said:

Beyond provocative -

gary-cooper-the-texan.jpg

A gay caballero

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, jaragon said:

A gay caballero

It really begs the question of how much Cooper and some of the other male glambots of that era were "in on it". It's not exactly gift-wrapped, but it's right there front and center. I suppose they allowed themselves to believe it was only for "the ladies".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DougieB said:

It really begs the question of how much Cooper and some of the other male glambots of that era were "in on it". It's not exactly gift-wrapped, but it's right there front and center. I suppose they allowed themselves to believe it was only for "the ladies".

I've seen that publicity photo many times in the past. I always assumed they were trying for a Valentino look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I've seen that publicity photo many times in the past. I always assumed they were trying for a Valentino look.

I'll bet you're right. He hadn't really established himself at that point, so he was probably being nudged in the direction of what had already worked for someone else. Thankfully he survived in the business long enough to basically be himself.

P.S. Love the "Encountered, Briefly" avatar. You sure can pick 'em.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've never been much of a fan of Rudolph Valentino when he was all gussied up as sheiks and gauchos and whatnot, but I've got to admit the man himself really had it going on.

val 8.jpg

Of course, he also had this going on...

pearls2.jpg

• Like 3

Luchino Visconti was already at it in 1942 when he directed Ossessione, a loose adaptation of The Postman Always Rings Twice. He lovingly photographed star Massimo Girotti, doing for t-shirts what Brando did in this country years later. There was a beautiful gauzy shot of Mr. G lying in bed, but I couldn't locate it so this will have to do. TCM has shown it, but it's tied up in rights issues so it doesn't get shown all that often.

Ossessione-(1943)---Massimo-Girotti-733507.jpg

• Like 2

Another all-time fave, Terence Stamp in Billy Budd (1962)…..

6a6dae9cabefa3cf170b151af2469d8e.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DougieB said:

Luchino Visconti was already at it in 1942 when he directed Ossessione, a loose adaptation of The Postman Always Rings Twice. He lovingly photographed star Massimo Girotti, doing for t-shirts what Brando did in this country years later. There was a beautiful gauzy shot of Mr. G lying in bed, but I couldn't locate it so this will have to do. TCM has shown it, but it's tied up in rights issues so it doesn't get shown all that often.

Ossessione-(1943)---Massimo-Girotti-733507.jpg

He reminds me of Paul Newma in that shot- Visconti was another gay director who obviously had a great eye for male beauty

• Like 1

On 5/23/2018 at 8:11 AM, DougieB said:

Whoever it's for, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Sort of like the early pix of Marlene Dietrich in her manly suits that can have appeal to everyone.  Anyone can fantasize whatever they want.   It's only fitting that they did a couple of films together.  Gary Cooper was always good looking but had an ethereal beauty when he was starting out in silents and very early talkies.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

Whoever it's for, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Sort of like the early pix of Marlene Dietrich in her manly suits that can have appeal to everyone.  Anyone can fantasize whatever they want.   It's only fitting that they did a couple of films together.  Gary Cooper was always good looking but had an ethereal beauty when he was starting out in silents and very early talkies.

Totally agree with you about Cooper and Dietrich- they had a very modern sexuality specially in "Morocco"

• Like 2

21 hours ago, rayban said:

Terence Stamp in "Teorema" - devil or god? -

Teorema.jpeg

I love how everyone seems to be obsessed with his bulge. Is he savior or destroyer only the levitating maid knows for sure

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jaragon said:

I love how everyone seems to be obsessed with his bulge. Is he savior or destroyer only the levitating maid knows for sure

teorema.jpg

The levitating maid speaks up - she says, "Savior!".

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rayban said:

teorema.jpg

The levitating maid speaks up - she says, "Savior!".

That is one wacky movie

• Haha 1

Dean O'Gorgan he caught my attention playing Kirk Douglas in "Trumbo" ....

• Like 1