Bogie56

Your Favourite Performances from 1930 to present are...

5,538 posts in this topic

I just cannot seem to come up with a Juvenile award for this year.  Who got in the actual ceremony this particular year, Bogie? Was there a year when one was not given out?

It's only on rare occasions that the juvenile Oscar was given out.  And sometimes it was just an award to the performer with no mention of the film or films that he or she was in that particular year.  I'll mention it at the start of each year if there happened to be such an award given out.  How's that?

I don't have one for 1933 either but I do for 1934!

• Like 1

It's only on rare occasions that the juvenile Oscar was given out.  And sometimes it was just an award to the performer with no mention of the film or films that he or she was in that particular year.  I'll mention it at the start of each year if there happened to be such an award given out.  How's that?

I got a head start and figured out my picks for 34 and 35, and I managed to find a juvenile award for each year! I've also decided to continue with my best ensemble award, given to a movie's entire cast that I won't acknowledge individually.

• Like 2

That's what I suspected.  Thanks Bogie.

As has been stated before, Jean Harlow and League of Decency programming will allow us to catch up - or at least record for the time being - movies that have been recommended  by other people in this thread and that I saw on the TCM schedule that are new to me

Here are some 1933 movies I am looking forward to seeing in the near future, or whenever they become available to me, in no particular order:

The Story of Temple Drake

Eskimo

The Testimant of Dr. Mabuse

The Emperor Jones

The Eagle and the Hawk

Queen Christina

Wild  Boys on the Road

The Masquerader

Another Language (Have I mentioned I'm a Robert Montgomery fan????????????????????/)

And many, many more.

I just cannot seem to come up with a Juvenile award for this year.  Who got in the actual ceremony this particular year, Bogie? Was there a year when one was not given out?

I haven't taken it upon myself to hand out juvenile Oscars. However, one performance from this year that would possibly qualify for one, in my opinion, would be Jackie Cooper in The Bowery. It's a Fox film so it's quite possible that this film has yet to be seen by some of the posters here. If memory serves me correctly, though, this film was on TCM a few years ago (and it's certainly been on the Fox channel, for those that get it).

Wallace Beery and George Raft co-star, Raft playing Jim Brodie in his famous jump off Brooklyn Bridge. The pre-code racist language in this film (Beery's character, in particular, when he refers to Chinese) is noteworthy, and maybe even a little shocking. I think even young Cooper may use some of the same language, picking it up from Beery.

• Like 1

Quite right, Tom in that I have not seen The Bowery.

I've written out my list of seen 1934 movies, so they are ready for me on paper for easy access.

According to a thread in general discussions, the May 2016 schedule is up and Marie Dressler will be the Star of the Month.  That should mean Bogie, Lawrence and others who want to re-watch Dinner at Eight might be in luck.

I have not looked at the list of movies yet, however.

I got a head start and figured out my picks for 34 and 35, and I managed to find a juvenile award for each year! I've also decided to continue with my best ensemble award, given to a movie's entire cast that I won't acknowledge individually.

And just to be clear, like darkblue mentioned in another thread, this post of mine was a bit navel-gazing in the tradition of our favorite poster. I apologize for that, and I only posted that previous message because this thread lasts all week and not much is said. I won't post any more "coming soon" garbage.

• Like 1

And just to be clear, like darkblue mentioned in another thread, this post of mine was a bit navel-gazing in the tradition of our favorite poster. I apologize for that, and I only posted that previous message because this thread lasts all week and not much is said. I won't post any more "coming soon" garbage.

Well except this latest post.   (hey only joking but you left that door wide open).      

I just saw The Story of Temple Drake and it was well worth seeing just as everybody who recommended the film suggested.  I wrote about it in I Just Watched.  Unlike Lawrence who feels it is necessary to apologize for navel gazing, I have no intention of apologizing for my last sentences in my comments about the movie in the I JUST WATCHED thread. 

Best Scene--From "Baby Face" (1933)--Barbara Stanwyck "persuades" a railway guard to  not throw her and her maid (Theresa Russell) off a train--Russell sings a spiritual in accompaniment while Stanwyck's "persuading."

• Like 2

Here are the films from 1933 that were mentioned that I have not seen as yet.  Again, I have my work cut out for me.

Advice to the Lovelorn with Lee Tracy

Baby Face with Barbara Stanwyck an George Brent

Bed of Roses with Pert Kelton

Berkeley Square with Leslie Howard

Bombshell with Lee Tracy, Jean Harlow, C. Aubrey Smith, Franchot Tone and Pat O’Brien

Dancing Lady with Joan Crawford

The Eagle and the Hawk with Fredric March

Employee’s Entrance with Warren William

Gabriel Over the White House with Walter Huston

Hold Your Man with Clark Gable and Jean Harlow

Ladies They Talk About with Barbara Stanwyck and Frank Morgan

Lilly Turner with Robert Barrat and Frank McHugh

Man’s Castle with Spencer Tracy

Midnight Mary with Una Merkel

Penthouse with Warner Baxter and Myrna Loy

Picture Snatcher with James Cagney and Alice White

Pilgrimage with Henrietta Crosman

The Silver Cord with Laura Hope Crews

The Story of Temple Drake with Miriam Hopkins and Jack LaRue

The Stranger’s Return with Miriam Hopkins

Topaze with John Barrymore and Myrna Loy

Voltaire with George Arliss

When Ladies Meet with Robert Montgomery

Wild Boys of the Road with Arthur Hohl

And I would like to see these again …

The Bitter Tea of General Yen for Nils Asther and Gavin Gordon

Doctor Bull for Will Rogers

The Emperor Jones for Paul Robeson

Gold Diggers of 1933 for Aline MacMahon

Hallelujah, I’m a Bum for Harry Langdon

The Invisible Man for Una O’Connor

Mystery at the Wax Museum for Glenda Farrell

• Like 4

My list of 1933 films mentioned on this thread that I have yet to see:

Doctor Bull

Bed of Roses

Silver Cord

Rufus Jones for President (a short I never heard of it)

Lilly Turner

Ladies They Talk About

Another Language

Don Quixote

Eskimo

Quatorze Juillet

Films that are vague memories:

Emperor Jones

Testament of Dr. Mabuse (though I recall liking it)

Secret of the Blue Room

Hallelujah I'm a Bum

Power and the Glory

Female

Ann Vickers

• Like 3

Here is my to-see list for 1933:

Ann Vickers

Another Language

Bed of Roses

Bombshell

Counsellor At Law

Don Quixote (French version)

Employees Entrance

Eskimo

Flying Down to Rio

Heroes for Sale

Ladies They Talk About

Lilly Turner

The Masquerader

The Mind Reader

Penthouse

Pilgrimage

Quatorze Juillet

Rufus Jones for President

Secret of the Blue Room

The Silver Cord

The Story of Temple Drake

Topaze

Tugboat Annie

Voltaire

When Ladies Meet

• Like 3

In regards to my review on The Story of Temple Drake and how I am not  apologizing for my last comment in the review, I see that someone - not involved in this thread - has risen to the bait as I expected to disagree with me.

To my mind, this person must not be nor know any victims.

Am I vindictive -perhaps.

I've seen the list of Marie Dressler movies that are scheduled to air in May as part of her Star of the Month tribute, and Dinner at Eight is scheduled to air on the final night.

Some final unique categories for 1933 before going on to 1934:  winners only listed

Favourite fist pairing of frequent co-stars:

Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers: Flying Down to Rio

Favourite Barrymore family synergy:  Dinner at Eight

Favourite comedy team:  Laurel and Hardy in Sons of the Desert

Edited for missing Ginger's last name

Edited by GregoryPeckfan
  • Like 3

For those of you who haven't seen LADIES THEY TALK ABOUT, you're going to enjoy the scenes in the women's prison. The characters are played more for comedy than for the grim kind of drama in CAGED. There are some really good bits by a variety of actresses.

ANN VICKERS, based on a Sinclair Lewis novel, is an interesting drama directed by John Cromwell. The film is not very long, and the themes flash by rather quickly. One would assume that Lewis developed them at greater length. Ann Vickers (Irene Dunne) is an idealistic prison reformer, and she has a child out of wedlock because of WWI, like Olivia De Havilland in TO EACH HIS OWN, and she has an affair with a judge (Walter Huston) accused of corruption. Irene Dunne and Walter Huston give solid performances, as you would expect. Sinclair Lewis must have been interested in younger women, given that ANN VICKERS, DODSWORTH, and CASS TIMBERLANE all include the older man/younger woman romance.

• Like 5

For those of you who haven't seen LADIES THEY TALK ABOUT, you're going to enjoy the scenes in the women's prison. The characters are played more for comedy than for the grim kind of drama in CAGED. There are some really good bits by a variety of actresses.

ANN VICKERS, based on a Sinclair Lewis novel, is an interesting drama directed by John Cromwell. The film is not very long, and the themes flash by rather quickly. One would assume that Lewis developed them at greater length. Ann Vickers (Irene Dunne) is an idealistic prison reformer, and she has a child out of wedlock because of WWI, like Olivia De Havilland in TO EACH HIS OWN, and she has an affair with a judge (Walter Huston) accused of corruption. Irene Dunne and Walter Huston give solid performances, as you would expect. Sinclair Lewis must have been interested in younger women, given that ANN VICKERS, DODSWORTH, and CASS TIMBERLANE all include the older man/younger woman romance.

Ladies They Talk About cracked me up.  I love Barbara Stanwyck's decorated cell and her very cutely tailored jail dress.  It didn't look like a sack like the other ladies' dresses. Barbara Stanwyck's jail in Ladies They Talk About was like a sorority in comparison to poor Eleanor Parker's jail in Caged.

• Like 2

I would like to propose that like the Top Ten Films thread that we do a decade review list.  This will happen for one day when we conclude 1939 and before moving on to 1940.  I am going to recap only my winners in each of the four acting categories for each year of the 1930’s.  If you have had ties this will be the time to pick just one for this list.  You can add Juvenile performances to the 2 lead and 2 supporting lists if you like.  And within the recap I am also going to select one from each category that I consider the best of the decade.  My best Actor Recap would look like this so far with the ****’s denoting my choice for the best of the decade…

1930 Emil Jannings, The Blue Angel

1931 Peter Lorre, M ****

1932 Marx Brothers, Horse Feathers

1933 Charles Laughton, The Private Life of Henry VIII

So please keep note of your winners in each category if you wish to participate in the decade review after we have completed 1939 some weeks from now.  It will be interesting to see if there is a consensus in some years.

• Like 5

Perhaps I ought to see DINNER AT EIGHT again before voting for Best Supporting Actor, which yet again seems like much the weakest category, but here goes:

Best Supporting Actor for 1933:

Jack La Rue, THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE*

Edward Everett Horton, DESIGN FOR LIVING

Wallace Ford, EMPLOYEES' ENTRANCE

Franchot Tone, TODAY WE LIVE

I'm curious to see what will happen in 1934.

• Like 2

[...]Jack La Rue, THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE*[...]

After watching this film again the other day I agree that Jack La Rue does deserve mention. I omitted him when first putting my list together, thinking that his intimidating looks and demeanor were used incredibly effectively, but did not necessarily equal a great performance. That was a silly technicality on my part; and not entirely true, either. He was awesome.

• Like 1

I'd love to take part in the decade round-up as Bogie suggested after 1939, but I didn't keep my lists, and I'm not sure I would remember best supporting categories.  Oh, well.

I'd love to take part in the decade round-up as Bogie suggested after 1939, but I didn't keep my lists, and I'm not sure I would remember best supporting categories.  Oh, well.

They should still all be on this thread, if you go back through.

• Like 1

They should still all be on this thread, if you go back through.

I will try to find them while this thread  has relatively few pages.  The thread is so popular that if I don't start soon, it could be forever and a day before I find all of them.

Thanks for the logic.