Bogie56

Your Favourite Performances from 1930 to present are...

5,538 posts in this topic

I've gone through these pages and found what my choices were 1930-1933.  I've written them down separately so I'll be able to participate in the top 10 type of posts Bogie suggested.

1934 I pretty well know my choices for winners already. 

There won't be any winners coming out of left field  from me like there was for Anna Mae Wong in Shanghai.

• Like 1

It’s time for 1934.  We will be on 1934 for one week so plenty of time for everyone to respond.

Here are Oscar’s choices for 1934.  Winners in bold.  The Oscars did not have supporting awards this year.  Please add your choices in those categories. 

1934 Oscars

Best Actor

Clark Gable, It Happened One Night*  

Frank Morgan, The Affairs of Cellini

William Powell, The Thin Man

Best Actress

Claudette Colbert, It Happened One Night*  

Grace Moore, One Night of Love

Norma Shearer, The Barretts of Wimpole Street  

And Shirley Temple received an special Oscar statuette for child actress of 1934.  No particular film was cited.

• Like 1

Favorite Performances of 1934

BEST ACTOR

Harry Baur  Les Miserables

W.C. Fields  It's a Gift

Clark Gable  It Happened One Night  **

William Powell  The Thin Man

Michel Simon  L'Atalante

BEST ACTRESS

Claudette Colbert  It Happened One Night  **

Bette Davis  Of Human Bondage

Marlene Dietrich  The Scarlet Empress

Carole Lombard  Twentieth Century

Myrna Loy  The Thin Man

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Edward Everett Horton  The Gay Divorcee

Boris Karloff  The Black Cat  **

Roscoe Karns  It Happened One Night

Charles Laughton  The Barretts of Wimpole Street

Peter Lorre  The Man Who Knew Too Much

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Louise Beavers  Imitation of Life  **

Alice Brady  The Gay Divorcee

Billie Burke  Forsaking All Others

Louise Dresser  The Scarlet Empress

Fredi Washington  Imitation of Life

BEST ENSEMBLE

The Lost Patrol

BEST JUVENILE

Shirley Temple  Bright Eyes

• Like 4

My choice for the Juvenile Acting award for 1934 is also Shirley Temple as “Shirley Blake” in Bright Eyes.

My Favourite 1934 Performances, In Approximate Order of Preference

BEST ACTOR

John Barrymore, 20th Century

Clark Gable, It Happened One Night

Claude Rains, Crime Without Passion

Wallace Beery, Viva Villa

Honourable Mention: Ronald Colman in Bulldog Drummond Strikes Back, W. C. Fields in It's A Gift, Leslie Howard in The Scarlet Pimpernel, Robert Donat in Count of Monte Cristo, James Cagney in Jimmy the Gent, Fredric March in Affairs of Cellini.

BEST ACTRESS

Claudette Colbert, It Happened One Night

Myrna Loy, The Thin Man

Marlene Dietrich, The Scarlet Empress

Carole Lombard, 20th Century

Bette Davis, Of Human Bondage

Honourable Mention: Constance Bennett in Affairs of Cellini, Norma Shearer in Barretts of Wimpole Street, Claudette Colbert in Imitation of Life, Claudette Colbert in Cleopatra, Anne Shirley in Anne of Green Gables, Aline MacMahon in Heat Lightning, Joan Blondell in He Was Her Man.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Frank Morgan, Affairs of Cellini

Peter Lorre, Man Who Knew Too Much

Charles Laughton, Barretts of Wimpole Street

Erik Rhodes, The Gay Divorcee

Walter Connolly, 20th Century

Honourable Mention: W. C. Fields in Six of a Kind, Roscoe Karns in It Happened One Night, John Gilbert in Captain Hates the Sea, Lionel Barrymore in Treasure Island, Roscoe Karns in 20th Century, Joseph Schildkraut in Viva Villa, W. C. Fields in Mrs. Wiggs of the Cabbage Patch.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Louise Dresser, The Scarlet Empress

Mary Boland, Four Frightened People

Louise Beavers, Imitation of Life

Jan Duggan, The Old Fashioned Way

Dorothy Burgess, Black Moon

Honourable Mention: Binnie Barnes in Private Life of Don Juan.

BEST SYNERGY OF THE YEAR

William Powell & Myrna Loy, The Thin Man

SPECIAL BIZARRO PERFORMANCE OF THE YEAR

Sam Jaffe, The Scarlet Empress

• Like 4

1934:  Best Actor--Single winners have two asterisks by name: ties have four.

William Powell in The Thin Man****

Clark Gable in It Happened One Night****

John Barrymore in Twentieth Century

Boris Karloff in The Lost Patrol

Fredric March in The Barretts of Wimpole Street

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best Actress:

Bette Davis in Of Human Bondage**

Myrna Loy in The Thin Man

Claudette Colbert in It Happened One Night

Carole Lombard in Twentieth Century

Jeanette MacDonald in The Merry Widow

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best Supporting Actor:

Boris Karloff in The Black Cat**

Edward Everett Horton in The Gay Divorcee

Lewis Stone in The Girl from Missouri

Tom Bupp in It's a Gift

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best Supporting Actress:

Mary Boland in Stingaree**

Vivienne Segal in The Cat and the Fiddle

Louise Dresser in The Scarlet Empress

Best Synergy:

Cast of Imitation of Life.

• Like 5

I will list my choices for main categories in the coming days over the week.

But I will reveal my choices for unique categories we have created as well as the Juvenile award today.

Here they are:

Best Juvenile award for Shirley Temple.

Honorable Mention to Jane Withers

**same movie for both

Best synergy:

William Powell and Myrna Loy in every movie they made together this year.

Best animal performance:

Skippy as Asta in The Thin Man

My own special category as a Hitchcock fan  (feel free to use it as we get to years that have more and more of Hitch):

Best Performance in a Hitchcock film male or female:

Peter Lorre in The Man Who Knew Too Much

Best comedy team:

Laurel and Hardy in Babes in Toyland

Edited for spelling

Edited by GregoryPeckfan
  • Like 3

1934 - This year, for me, seems to be curiously lacking outstanding winners in both leading categories; one category in particular is lacking in nominees altogether. The juvenile actors are indicated in their categories, the winner among them marked by a star.

Actor

George Arliss - House of Rothschild
John Barrymore - Twentieth Century***
George Breakston - No Greater Glory (juvenile*)
James Cagney - Jimmy the Gent
Douglas Fairbanks - The Private Life of Don Juan
W.C. Fields - The Old Fashioned Way
Fredric March - We Live Again
Frank Morgan - The Affairs of Cellini
Zhizhi Zhang - The Goddess

Actress

Constance Bennett - The Affairs of Cellini
Ruan Lingyu - The Goddess***

Supporting Actor

Lionel Barrymore (Billy Bones) - Treasure Island***
Jimmy Butler (the leader) - No Greater Glory (juvenile)
Erik Rhodes (Tonetti) - The Gay Divorcee
Raymond Walburn (a wicked Baron) - The Count of Monte Cristo

Supporting Actress

Binnie Barnes (a barmaid) - The Private Life of Don Juan
Jan Duggen (Cleopatra Pepperday) - The Old Fashioned Way***
Una Merkel (the queen) - The Merry Widow

Jane Withers (the brat) - Bright Eyes (juvenile)
Fay Wray (a young maiden) - The Affairs of Cellini

No synergy to speak of this year, either...

• Like 4

Kay - Just curious:

Regarding Bogie's  post about who won actual Academy Awards, how many of these movies have you not actually seen?

Kay - Just curious:

Regarding Bogie's  post about who won actual Academy Awards, how many of these movies have you not actually seen?

Well, I've not seen the Grace Moore or Norma Shearer movies from this year. There are quite a few from each year that I've not seen. I considered naming them year to year, but figured it was more important to talk about what I have seen than what I haven't. I might start naming some of the ones I intend to see, though. It'll be a good 20-30 years before I'm genuinely qualified to give recommendations in this thread- hah.

• Like 3

Kay -

Thanks for the fast reply as this thread is popular and who knows when you might have read my question.

I am much more familiar with movies from the 1930s  and 1940s than I am with any other decades in terms of all genres.

After 1949, the movies I have seen rely heavily on the genre and my interest in the specific artists behind and in front of the camera in the first place.

For example, I very specifically introduced a Hitchcock category because I could spend a lot of time just on him.

I also discovered that I would have an impossible time being a fan of people like Gregory Peck  - my favourite actor of all time - if I refused to watch war films or westerns, which are two genres I watch only because of the artists in them.  Glenn Ford and Richard Widmark are other examples.

GPF, I've got similar genre biases, especially when it comes to era. I think my trouble with 1934 has to do mostly with the move into the code-era, when my interest starts to diminish somewhat, and even more-so in the war years. I've also seen less foreign films from those years. Other than that, my number of seen films is pretty consistent in the 30s-60s. Afterward I'll be having less to say on this thread.

P.S, I've always wanted to see The Man Who Knew Too Much. Peter Lorre is one of my utmost favorite actors.

• Like 1

GPF, I've got similar genre biases, especially when it comes to era. I think my trouble with 1934 has to do mostly with the move into the code-era, when my interest starts to diminish somewhat, and even more-so in the war years. I've also seen less foreign films from those years. Other than that, my number of seen films is pretty consistent in the 30s-60s. Afterward I'll be having less to say on this thread.

P.S, I've always wanted to see The Man Who Knew Too Much. Peter Lorre is one of my utmost favorite actors.

Peter Lorre is one of those actors who -regardless of the overall quality of a movie - I always love his performances.

I'll have very little to say after 1967, that pivotal year. The number of films I have seen after that takes a nosedive.   The way movies were made after that are generally not to my taste.  There are some very famous movies made  since the start of the blockbuster term that I have never seen and will likely never see.  It's the reason why I often say that I don't like movies made in my lifetime (I am 40).  It is not that I don't watch any movies made since I was born, it is just that the type of movies that make the most money don't interest me.

• Like 2

I truly hope that you will continue to contribute whatever observations you may have no matter how extensive, or not they may be.  I find your choices to be very good and they make me want to watch all those movies.

• Like 4

I truly hope that you will continue to contribute whatever observations you may have no matter how extensive, or not they may be.  I find you choices to be very good and they make me want to watch all those movies over again.

I hope Kay does too.  I will try my best to continue after 1967.  Most of the films I have seen after 1969 are the kind that air originally in film festivals and are independent films.

I hope Kay does too.  I will try my best to continue after 1967.  Most of the films I have seen after 1969 are the kind that air originally in film festivals and are independent films.

Great.

Once again I'm having trouble finding performances in the supporting actor category.

Best Actor of 1934:

Harry Baur, LES MISERABLES*

Michel Simon, L'ATALANTE

Clark Gable, IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT

William Powell, THE THIN MAN

John Barrymore, TWENTIETH CENTURY

Honorable mention: George Arliss, THE HOUSE OF ROTHSCHILD; W. C. Fields, IT'S A GIFT; Leslie Howard, OF HUMAN BONDAGE

Best Actress of 1934:

Aline MacMahon, HEAT LIGHTNING*

Claudette Colbert, IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT

Bette Davis, OF HUMAN BONDAGE

Myrna Loy, THE THIN MAN

Carole Lombard, TWENTIETH CENTURY

Honorable mention: Joan Crawford, SADIE McKEE; Irene Dunne, THE AGE OF INNOCENCE; Madeleine Renaud, MARIA CHAPDELAINE

Best Supporting Actress of 1934:

Fredi Washington, IMITATION OF LIFE*

Ruth Donnelly, HEAT LIGHTNING

Glenda Farrell, HEAT LIGHTNING

Helen Westley, THE AGE OF INNOCENCE

Louise Beavers, IMITATION OF LIFE

Synergy Award: Nick and Nora Charles and Asta

Bizarro Award for set design and art direction: THE SCARLET EMPRESS. Not many films give you that "drag queens on acid at the Liberace Museum" feeling, but this one does.

• Like 5

My problem for this year is that I have too many favourite performances that I am not sure I can choose from them a winner in any of the four acting categories.  Hence for my synergy pick being all of the films that William Powell and Myrna Loy made together that year rather than any single film they made.

I mean, I really already know what my choices for best actor and actress really will be and I won't be giving away anything by saying I'm with the Academy on these, but I simply MUST put each of the four acting categories in separate posts as my nominee list for all four of  them will be huge.  But the supporting categories I am torn.

Here are Danny Perry’s Alternate Oscar choices for 1934.  Winners in bold. 

1934 Best Actor

John Barrymore, Twentieth Century* 

W.C. Fields, It’s a Gift

W.C. Fileds, The Old-Fashioned Way

Claude Rains, The Man Who Reclaimed His Head 

1934 Best Actress

Bette Davis, Of Human Bondage* 

Claudette Colbert, It Happened One Night

Carole Lombard, Twentieth Century

Myrna Loy, Manhattan Melodrama

Norma Shearer, The Barretts of Wimpole Street

Margaret Sullavan, Little Man, What Now? 

And here are Michael Gerbert’s Golden Armchair choices for 1934:

Best Actor

W.C. Fields, It’s a Gift*

Best Actress

Myrna Loy, The Thin Man*

• Like 2

Bizarro Award for set design and art direction: THE SCARLET EMPRESS. Not many films give you that "drag queens on acid at the Liberace Museum" feeling, but this one does.

Between your bizarro set design award for The Scarlet Empress, kingrat, and my bizarro performance award to Sam Jaffe in that same film I guess we both pretty well enjoyed that, at times, delirious Von Sternberg extravaganza. I can't think of a more audacious film made in 1934 or, perhaps, even the entire decade. I think it's a fascinating film of hallucinatory over the top excess.

I went to a small movie revival (in a Toronto library basement) to see this film for the first time. I saw dozens and dozens of films that way in those early pre-video tape days. But this film, with the 1812 Overture pounding on the soundtrack along with a closeup of a fashionesta fur hat and uniform-clad Dietrich in white holding her horse in triumph on the steps of the throne room at the end (after having just seen dozens of soldiers on horseback riding up those steps!), is the ONLY one that got a standing ovation. And I was there, applauding this film as hard as anyone. It was a great movie going experience.

ScarletEmpress92.jpg

• Like 5

I've been reminded just like Larry was by Dark Blue regarding who his next avatar actor would be that my mentioning what I'll be or not be discussing was starting to sound like you know who and I don't want to become that kind of poster.

If I wasn't tired when I made that last post I would have posted my choices for the main awards.  I meant that I would award the Oscar for It Happened One Night and that I do not always disagree with the winners.

The conversation between me and Kay and Bogie was about our beliefs about our ability to take part in this thread when we have seen few of the movies of a particular year.  Sorry if it derailed the thread into other decades. 

ANYWAYS, BACK TO MY CHOICES:  BEST ACTOR:

(again, I'll dispense with alphabetic listing of nominees per se except by first letter of the last name)

Fred Astaire in The Gay Divorcee

Leslie Banks in The Man Who Knew Too Much

John Barrymore in Twentieth Century

Ronald Coleman in Bulldog Drummond Strikes Back

Maurice Chevalier in the Merry Widow

Robert Donat in The Count of Monte Cristo

W.C. Fields in It's A Gift

Douglas Fairbanks in the Private Life on Don Juan

Clark Gable in It Happened One Night

Clark Gable in Forsaking All Others

Leslie Howard in In Human Bondage

Leslie Howard in The Scarlett Pimpernel

Frederic March in The Barretts of Wimple Street

Joel McCrea in The Richest Girl in the World

Charles Laughton in The Barretts of Wimpole Street

Harold Lloyd in The Cat's Paw

Peter Lorre in The Man Who Knew Too Much

Warner Oland in Charlie Chan in London

Robert Montgomery in Forsaking All Others

Robert Montgomery in Hide-Out

Robert Montgomery in Riptide

Chester Morris in The Gay Bride

Dick Powell in Dames

William Powell in The Thin Man

William Powell in Evelyn Prentice

Edward G. Robinson in The Man With Two Faces

Warren William in The Case of the Howling Dog

WINNER: CLARK GABLE FOR IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT

• Like 4

BEST ACTRESS FOR 1934:

Note: I have not yet seen Cleopatra from this year, so that is why Colbert isn't listed for that movie. I've had it on my o-see list for a long time.

Joan Blondell in Dames

Claudette Colbert for It Happened One Night

Claudette Colbert in Imitation of Life

Joan Crawford in Forsaking All Others

Bette Davis in Of Human bondage

Kay Francis in Mandalay

Miriam Hopkins in The Richest Girl in the World

Ruby Keeler in Dames

Carole Lombard in The Gay Bride

Myrna Loy in The Thin Man

Myna Loy in Evelyn Prentice

Jeanette MacDonald in The Merry Widow

Maureen O'Sullivan in The Thin Man

Merle Oberon in The Scarlett Pimpernel

Ginger Rogers for The Gay Divorcee

Norma Shearer for The Barretts of Wimpole Street

Norma Shearer in Riptide

Barbara Stanwyck in Gambling Lady

Margaret Sullivan in Hide-Out

WINNER: CLAUDETTE COLBERT IN IT HPPENED ONE NIGHT

• Like 4

GPF, you have listed quite a few I haven't seen. I've seen 60 films from 1934, but not the right ones, yet, I guess.

• Like 1

Lawrence:

I have The Girl From Missouri recorded from Jean Harlow's birthday.  I've never seen it.

There were plenty of movies I could have listed but did not mention such as Lugosi and Karloff in The Black Cat.

I mentioned Cleapatra as being on my to-see list because it is a famous film and Colbert was my winner for another film.

I happen to be a big fan of Robert Montgomery and his daughter, Clark Gable, Norma Shearer, Joel McCrea, and I am coming to really appreciate Miriam Hopkins .

The 1930s  is my favourite decade for comedies and films about the idle rich with scandals  - there are so many of them because they were so popular during the Great Depression.  Shirley Temple I mentioned in my Juvenile Award.  She was vital in that era too as was Chaplin, but most of his were shorts.

There is a huge list of movies mentioned this year that I haven't seen yet.

I see that kingrat and Lawrence have both listed Harry Bauer's performance in Les Miserables as one of the best of 1934. I congratulate both of you for having the fortitude to sit through such an incredibly long film (with sub titles yet!). I have never viewed it for precisely those reasons.

I'm not a fan of sub titled films, in general, because I feel that I miss so much of the visuals by having to keep reading the bottom of the screen. If that makes me a cultural boor when it comes to foreign films, so be it. Of course, I have sat through a number of sub titled films, but the length of that particular production would be a severe test of my endurance, even if I did see it in installments.

• Like 3